M38 scope painting

gazmosis

So I got this really cool scope and I am in the process of painting her up. The indented lettering on the eyepiece side is filled with white paint so the lettering can be read. There must be method for doing this well. No matter how small the brush or steady the hand, there is no way to paint each letter. Has anyone successfully done this??7874XhN.jpg6bzHzxe.jpg

Just paint the black around the lettering with a pencil. Don't use the tip of the brush but rather the beginning of the body, and hold it almost horizontally from the surface, then gently caresse the surface. If you haven't put too much paint on your pencil and haven't been too heavy with the hand, the paint shouldn't go into the indentations.

It might takes a bit of practise to master it though.

You can also just drybrush the lettering with black, easy and efficient!  :)

I have looked at youtube vids and if I had painted the main body with an automotive type paint, I could do it with model paint. You paint it, scrape the excess, and wipe thinner lightly to remove the rest on the surface. Sadly, I used model paint to paint the scope. I will need to do either the crayon or grease pencil method

I sacrificed one of my daughter's white crayons and tried out the crayon method. I did not rub the crayon into the letters. I melted the crayon then dripped it into the letters. It hardened up right away so I slightly heated a nail and re-melted the crayon into the letters. There were some higher spots in the mold so it didn't get into every nook. I gently scraped the excess away. I needed to touch up around a few letters but overall I am happy with the results.ibBvc95.jpgP08IEFk.jpgycSolfG.jpg

An easy option is to matt lacquer the scope then use acrylic white on a fine brush placed into 2 or 3 letters at a time and wiped off with a dry finger or thumb, a few minutes and it's done giving a nice aged look to suit the scope, now just leave it as is

2IqOQzG.jpg