Accurate White Fabric Glue in the United States? or Snaps instead?

Sskunky recommended using the Stelmax 1985 Adhesive (white) as an accurate glue for joining fabric to the armor, but I can't find it sold within the USA online.  It looks like some sort of white PVC paste.

Has anyone found a similar product here in the US?  Similar consistency, look, and chemical properties?

While on the topic, can anyone comment on the trooping differences between snaps & adhesive inside armor?  It seems like the adhesive method would keep the armor closer fitting to your body, which is the main reason I'm wanting to go that route.  The snaps are clearly a more modular system, but I'm not sure how often elastic will need replacing anyway.

Thank you!

I use snaps that way if the elastic ever stretches its an easy swap out. Glue most swear by E6000, glues just about everything, material, abs and pvc, also can be pried from what it is glued too.

For glue it's E6 all the way. It's clear so it'll appear white, but you shouldn't be seeing any excess glue at all. Just sand the contact areas well enough.

And for snaps I make sure to mash the hell out of them so they don't come off the snap plates, then ill slightly tap or dent the male part tops so they don't fail during a troop. It makes them harder to snap together, but it stops them from unpopping so easily too.

The elastic will last a few dozen troops or so depending on what's being stretched all the time like biceps not so much but thighs all the time. The cap part is closest to your body so when to change elastic you'll need to make new caps, so get a hundred pack of line 24 off ebay.

Edited by DizzyStormtrooper

Talking about the white glue holding the elastic to the armor in the original armor.. E6 looks different, but thank you.

The elastic really stretches out that quickly on the thighs!? I figured it would last nearly forever unless overstretched too many times

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Edited by Kilryth

E6 is like 3-4 bucks at Walmart. That 2oz tube lasted my whole build. I have a snap on the tops of the thighs and 2in wide black elastic (also at wm, 3 feet for $1.44 in the sewing section) that connects to snaps I've put in a regular belt I wear under the armor to hold the thighs up. I've trooped 3 times and already know my thighs will have to be changed out after I get to about 15. A boba fett in my garrison finished his build earlier this year and already had some areas dry rot, so the stretching isn't the only factor that effects elastic.

I suggest always use snaps where you'll have elastic, unless your using those screen accurate metal loop things on the torso that TM does. I don't understand those, I just did my armor to be durable, dependable, and long lasting.

Edited by DizzyStormtrooper

What I think Kevin is trying to ask is about finding a source for the white glue used for the thigh straps... no?

As seen in these photos from the lucasfilm archive of screen used thighs:

gallery_12157_15_2547.jpg

gallery_12157_15_1150.jpg

you dont HAVE to do things like the 70's lol, the screen suits werent made to last. we're better than that and we used snaps like a boss! and dry rot is best explained like when your underwear waistband doesnt stretch anymore cuz of all of dryer cycles. 

The screen accurate way is the possible way to assemble your armour. You guys must be using the cheapest possible elastic known to man if it has to be replaced after several troops. Quality elastic will last a lifetime, not a few troops.

I believe Kevin wants to know the screen accurate glue for the straps and I have always used Stelmax 1985, so stop offering suggestions for other options which I am sure he is aware of. This always happens on here. I do not know why everyone wants to go for easy options when it comes to building armour. The oringinal way is the best as long as your armour is made from the right kind of plastic.

If you need help getting the Stelmax, send me a PM and I can get some for you :)

I know mate. Kevin still asked for the accurate glue and I guess he is going for the 70's strapping which works better than any other method ;)

I fail to see how humidity will damage quality elastic. But I have no experience with such conditions living in England. Sometimes it when it gets really hot we can walk around without our coats on :lol:

I am going for the original strapping system overall.  Gluing the elastic to the plastic is the only area I was questioning, in case it ever needed replacing.  Though I imagine I could always peel up the elastic with a utility knife, if it ever did wear out.  I like the original strapping system because it places minimum spacing between the armor plates & your body.  I had made another type of armor kit with snaps, and it left a noticeable gap all over.  There's nothing wrong with it; it's just a trade-off:  close-fitting v.s. ease of connecting the pieces.

I got reading about 'elastic dry rot', and I found that it seems to be an issue in cheaper elastics.  Online, I found that the complaints originated from cheap elastic in diapers, underwear, elastic that is washed/dried a LOT, and elastic stored outdoors for YEARS (10 years+).  Some elastics are made of latex, which is more susceptible to dry rot than other rubbers/stretch materials, especially in thin and poorly stored materials.

Thanks, Paul, for the reassurance on using the Stelmax for trooping.  I talked to a few others who have used it for years of trooping without any issues with the elastic.  I think I'll go the glue route this time around.

I did a quick search for "PVC resin adhesive" and couldn't find anything in the USA other than some DAP Wood cement, which is a large bucket of plastic resin powder.  I don't want to take any chances, so I'll send you a PM. :)

Edited by Kilryth