fixing a paint error

Hello, all!

In case anyone messed up their helmet painting like I did and was wondering how to start over to correct it, I figured I would share the process I used.

Sand the paint off using meguire's medium cut cleaner, this will dull the finish, but we will address that later

PLUIIDO.jpg

p5dJS7u.jpg

MtGTNSn.jpg

3TMM7o1.jpg

Now the mistake is gone, but it looks rather dull compared to the glossiness of the rest of the helmet

lYkEuzb.jpg

Next I used meguire's ultra finishing polish (a low cut cleaner) until it started to shine a bit more

ZCpkZSb.jpg

Finished with a couple passes of meguire' glaze to return the high shine

KlMG8Tv.jpg

Repainted it properly and done!

6PaCGMJ.jpg

I just used an old T-shirt for this, as I tested my polisher and a dremel polishing tip - both gouge and melt the ABS too easily for my taste.

Hope this helps someone! Would also be a nice method to eliminate scratches:)

Thanks for the tip, Jared!

I had to use a teeny bit of testor's thinner on my ab buttons but only a teeny bit, as it can dissolve the ABS. Would not work in this case... at least not without scaring me.

I use MacGuiar's Ultimate Compound for a shine (it's more like Novus, a compound), rather than polish, at the suggestion of someone very familiar with the products; I'm a little leery of using actual polish. There is the possibility of getting chemicals into the plastic and having it cause yellowing or something. But at least here it doesn't seem to be doing any harm :) I haven't tried using it to get paint off, though...