Help with Backplate - 2 Issues

I'm experiencing 2 issues with my backplate.  First, its crooked - the left side is higher than the right side.  I've toyed around with its positioning, etc, and cannot get it to even out.

Second, I cannot create a gap between it and the kidney plate.  I've raised the backplate on the shoulder straps about as high as I can.  Does anyone have any suggestions for either issue?  I think I might need to cut the back plate or kidney plate, but I want to be sure I've tried everything before cutting.  \

Thanks.

Front view

---------

Rear view

----------

Here's my shoulder strapping so you can see how far forward I have the backplate mounted. 

---------

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Just a couple of things to check, your shoulder straps seem from the front not positioned in the same places, also one is curved and the other has bent and flat sections. Rear shot looks like you have the right shoulder strap further down your shoulder. Do you have elastic attached form the back plate to the kidney plate. I used elastic and adjusters on both the front and rear of my armor which made it easier to adjust.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I would trim the kidney plate down before I would trim anything else. Go slow and take off a little at a time until it works for you. Be sure to remove from the bottom of it so you don't remove the return edge at the top.

I may have waited on gluing the shoulder straps on until after the entire kit is fitted you you and wears correctly. The square ends should be cut off the back side for accuracy. Don't forget the thin elastic that holds the shoulder strap to the back plate.

As for the back plate hanging crooked. I would try and adjust the webbing straps you have holding between the chest and back plate to allow them to hang square to you. And also make sure you are standing absolutely straight with both shoulders level. Sometimes we stand slightly crooked or lean and this will only add to it being off.

Glen is right, the right shoulder strap does appear to be mounted higher up than the left one.

Edited by Tray

Please send pics of how you have it straped in side the torso ; )

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

To answer questions, I'm 5'6".  The belt is from TKittell and measures 3.25" wide.

Here's pictures of the strapping.  Essentially, the kidney/ab are joined by velcro at the ab plate (third photo).  I use suspenders to hold the entire kidney/ab piece on me.  The two black straps on the top of the ab plate connect to the chestplate to prevent the chestplate from shifting out of place.

I trimmed a centimeter off the bottom of the ab plate.  Will try a refitting tomorrow.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

First off mate I would get away from the velcro method of strapping its no good and makes everything to ridged , I would go with the practical strapping of elastics and snaps/poppers thats how most of us TKs have it now and great for trooping and parts can be easily taken apart for transporting ;)

Have a go mate you wont look back , and I can tell you one thing the armour will fit you better using this practical strapping method , as apposed to the horried Velcro !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was able to straighten the backplate by changing out the strapping under the shoulder straps.  I need to bend the right plastic shoulder strap inward to fix the appearance.  I'm still working on creating no gap between the back and kidney plate.

Tommorrow will be a good test of my fit.  I'm participating in a zumbathon in costume.  I will likely die. :)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Looking much better, as I said earlier you could see the shoulder straps where off. Should be a walk in the park now. I did use an adjustable strapping system on both the front and back plates, was much easier to adjust rather than having to make new straps each time.