arms/legs: overlap vs cover strips

I have only made one set of armor by myself without any assistance and it was a ROTJ CFO, which uses the overlap method of putting the arms & legs together. This seemed like an easy way to go about it.

My ANH TK is ATA, which uses cover strips over the front & back seams between the two connected pieces. This seems to be the preferred way to construct ATA, at least in my squad.

I have some extra ATA legs sitting around that I decided to go ahead and put together as replacement parts. Looking at them, I thought "why can't these be overlapped too?" Its easy enough, right? Until now, I'd given little thought as to why strips are used. So, I put them together this way. In hindsight, I realize the overlap method makes them a bit smaller and I could not get a proper, neat-looking strip in the back of the thighs.

So, are cover strips more screen accurate, or used just because most people are a bit bigger these days than in the 70s and need the extra couple inches? Of all the build threads I've skimmed through, I was not able to determine the real reason, other than one's preference.

Is that going to be required for Centurion? I seem to recall reading an older thread listing that among the new changes not yet in the CRL document.

I figure I'll end up using strips when I get round to it, because I need the extra space want to be accurate. :)

If I have it my way using cover strips will be (practically already are) required for centurion. And you should use them whether they are required or not simple because that is how it was done back in the day.

And to answer BJ's question, I think ATA is modified from the original ROTJ moulds in such a way that cover strips are basically required for proper assembly. Unlike AP that is less modified and still supports overlap assembly. But I have not had a proper good close up look at ATA unfortunately.

The whole ANH/ESB element has always shown butt join and cover strip.

making my TKC with AP is proving to be a fun project. not hard... but way faster

than having to make 4 perfect cuts instead of only 2. and then the glue process

could be instant if you use ABS solvents, or zap a gap.

I'm still just taking my time with e-6000 since I might want to

change the suit into a different kind someday.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

The whole ANH/ESB element has always shown butt join and cover strip.

making my TKC with AP is proving to be a fun project. not hard... but way faster

than having to make 4 perfect cuts instead of only 2. and then the glue process

could be instant if you use ABS solvents, or zap a gap.

I'm still just taking my time with e-6000 since I might want to

change the suit into a different kind someday.

What are you talking about Vern?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

If I have it my way using cover strips will be (practically already are) required for centurion. And you should use them whether they are required or not simple because that is how it was done back in the day.

And to answer BJ's question, I think ATA is modified from the original ROTJ moulds in such a way that cover strips are basically required for proper assembly. Unlike AP that is less modified and still supports overlap assembly. But I have not had a proper good close up look at ATA unfortunately.

Ah. So it is basically more of a case of necessity (for accuracy) over true screen accuracy to use strips for ATA?

Ah. So it is basically more of a case of necessity (for accuracy) over true screen accuracy to use strips for ATA?

ATA like all other TE derived armours date back to a ROTJ armour that since was modified for a more ANH look. I think it was CAP who did some of the changes that makes it different from for example AP. And since ATA is cast from CAP it shares the same modifications.

But this is fast becoming confusing. Just use cover strips and you'll be fine.