Looking for the Right Molding Ingrediants

Moved from wrong forum:

(I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Tell me and I'll move. I could not find a straight answer anywhere.)

I have a few questions about the clay used for molding:

- What clay do you all prefer?

- I heard of roma plastilina, but it's a bit expensive. Are there any alternatives?

- Someone told me that WED clay also works, as well as Chavant oil clay. What is your preferance on this?

- Can you help me out by providing any websites that'll be useful in ordering these materials? I've been searching everywhere. I tried the Laguna website, but it's so confusing...

Two on the plaster:

- Someone told me to use Ultracal 30 plaster. Is this okay?

- I was also suggested Hydrostone. Out of these two plasters, which is preferable for secure molding?

Also on the plastic for thermoforming:

- What brand do you prefer?

- This is my first time thermoforming. Are some plastics better for beginners than others?

- If so, which ones?

- Are they durable?

I was thinking about purchasing a kit, but they are just too expensive to buy all at once, and I don't know who to trust. At least this way, I could put my art skills to work and assure I have the pieces the right size for me. That, and I'm sure my dad would like me to construct him a Boba Fett costume one day.

Thank you all in advance for your time in helping me! I would like some nice solid answers before I go out and order a big mistake. ^^;

http://www.reynoldsam.com/

Hey Kristina. This place here has EVERYTHING you need to begin a life of casting/molding. They really know their stuff and are SUPER friendly. The only real thing to consider with your clay is if you decide to use silicone as your casting material choice, you HAVE TO USE A NON SULFER CLAY. If you are going to do repeated castings, silicone is the way to go.

As for csting plasters, I have worked with both standard plaster of paris but ulrtra-cal 30 is by far a superior casting material. It gets super hard. Careful! It generates quite a bit of heat when curing. It totally sets in about an hour.

http://www.reynoldsam.com/

Hey Kristina. This place here has EVERYTHING you need to begin a life of casting/molding. They really know their stuff and are SUPER friendly. The only real thing to consider with your clay is if you decide to use silicone as your casting material choice, you HAVE TO USE A NON SULFER CLAY. If you are going to do repeated castings, silicone is the way to go.

As for csting plasters, I have worked with both standard plaster of paris but ulrtra-cal 30 is by far a superior casting material. It gets super hard. Careful! It generates quite a bit of heat when curing. It totally sets in about an hour.

Wow! Thank you so much! I can tell that website it really going to help! I kinda feel sorry for them, too, with the way I'm going to bombard them with all these questions. xP Of course, my beginner mind is now confused: I thought silicone was for organic masks? As for the sulfur, I guess that means I won't be going with roma anytime soon (thank god). I'll most likely go with WED, since it's easier to smooth, and I'll just have to keep a water spray bottle with me.

Cool! Ultra-Cal it is.

Edited by Vantora

i like plaster... its cheap and real easy to work with.. but i have been working with hard styrofome and cutting it to size the covering it with bondo and sanding to a finish...rember this molds you want to have holes in the molds to get sharper pulls

i like plaster... its cheap and real easy to work with.. but i have been working with hard styrofome and cutting it to size the covering it with bondo and sanding to a finish...rember this molds you want to have holes in the molds to get sharper pulls

Hmm, that's an interesting way to go at it. I've quickly found that there are many different roads people take for the same result. Thanks for the advice!

if you are making a forming buck for vac forming you should consider making a base form out of wood, then cover that with heat resistant

formulas for the surface of the forming tool.

aluminized and steel powders added to the resin mix and smoothed with acetone, finally sanding and filling to finish up.