Left Thigh Problem

After gluing the finishing strip to the front of the left thigh, I noticed a small problem. There is a small space between the two pieces at the bottom.

I came up with a solution to just glue a small piece of plastic on the inside so you couldn't see through the space.

Thanks!

-Dom

post-15834-0-50531200-1358458205.jpg

post-15834-0-41711500-1358458255.jpg

Edited by Boba_Skywalker3

Couldn't see your photo you may not have loaded it correctly. You can do a couple of things when you have gaps, as the glue is quite rubbery you can remove the cover strip then re-trim and glue again, also glue a small piece of abs behind so you don't notice the gap as much, or make some abs paste and fill and sand the gap, info on the paste here

Yah just to add a note about acetone...

WEAR GLOVES NO MATTER WHAT

I was arrogant enough to say "Ahh f*ck it, I won't get any on my hands". And I didn't.

However, what did happen is my hands broke out in a rash. They're fine now but still, it sucked.

The fumes are extremely - if not more - toxic than the actual liquid. You should take every precaution before you work with it.

Themoreyouknow.jpg

Yah just to add a note about acetone...

WEAR GLOVES NO MATTER WHAT

I was arrogant enough to say "Ahh f*ck it, I won't get any on my hands". And I didn't.

However, what did happen is my hands broke out in a rash. They're fine now but still, it sucked.

The fumes are extremely - if not more - toxic than the actual liquid. You should take every precaution before you work with it.

Thank you for the tip!!! :salute:

Epoxy paste or white modeling putty can also fill the gap. The white's not exact but it'll do in a pinch in that down-low, hard-to-scrutinize area and it still beats a gap.

I used ABS paste to fill some gaps on my thighs. For the wider ones, I stuck a piece of duct tape behind the gap so I had something to lay the paste onto. Once the plastic hardened, I simply peeled off the tape. Note that the paste takes a while to cure...even if it is hard on the outside, it can be soft on the inside, so wait a while before sanding.

White silicone may also fill the gap, but it could discolor over time. Modelling putty may be too brittle. I would definitely recommend the paste. 100% acetone is cheap and readily available in the cosmetics section of any large store, and the paste is easy to make. Just make sure you mix it in something that the acetone will not eat through.

The only down side is that it will make it that much more difficult to take your thigh pieces apart again. You would have to cut through it. I would be sure of your sizing first.

Alright, I installed the ABS paste (handmade) into the gap and here is how it turned out. I feel I will need to sand it down a bit. What do you think?

Thanks!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I've had to reword this post as I originally wrote it based on your first picture.

Your original post and picture looked fine and was better than the screen used suits.

I would have left it with the plastic behind.

You didn't have to fill it with ABS paste.

You had the choice to leave it as it or to fill it.

Now you have filled it, this needs work to remove all the excess ABS, and it hasn't really filled the seam.

It is possible with ABS paste to fill the whole seam.

Then sand it down with finer and finer paper then a plastic polish to make it flush and seamless.

What look are you trying to achieve?

Edited by FunkyTrigger

Yes, more paste, and fill the gap solid, even a little overage is ok, since you will sand it and it will look like a single piece of ABS.

I agree with what Phil said, the gap is very accurate, the screen used suits had gaps everywhere and the small gap on the lower leg is only noticeable when you are looking only at that. Once you have the suit on noone will be looking at that seam.

If you want to get rid of the gap, fill that sucker slightly higher than the ABS, sand the paste (after drying for 1 day-ish) and blend the sanding effort into the thigh a little so it's seamless. Then use Novus polish, follow polishing steps 1-3-2-1 with some 5-minute elbow grease for each step (15-20 min total) and it'll be severely unnoticable to the untrained eye. Without close detail, no one will ever know the difference.

I got rid of a 5mm gap on my left thigh this way.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021