Drosch's AP helmet

very nice,

if i didnt know any better i'd say that was not your first AP lid build and thus you've avoided the usual pitfalls.

The brow placement is great, perfect in my eyes and the ears are as snug as can be.

if it was your first, i salute you for your intelligent approach to the build :)

very nice,

if i didnt know any better i'd say that was not your first AP lid build and thus you've avoided the usual pitfalls.

The brow placement is great, perfect in my eyes and the ears are as snug as can be.

if it was your first, i salute you for your intelligent approach to the build :)

PERFECTLY said.

Thanks guys! It is my first helmet build of any kind. Even my FX came assembled. I was a little unsure about the frown. I wanted to get some opinions before buffing it out and doing the details. I guess this stands a testament as to how truely awesome the help and tutorials on this board are. I followed the an AP and a TE guide as well as refered to Alain's images of his incredible helmet. How he got his ears so tight without filler I will never figure out. I had hours into mine and must have taken it apart and put it back together 2 dozen times. As I always tell the new people when they say hello for the first time....this is the place to be for stormtroopers and you guys are just the best! - Now lets get this thing finished!

Thanks again,

I got really good results on my FX when I need to get some blobs of glue off from the last guy. I was going to sand the whole thing with 1200 grit and then buff it out with compound. I did a little on the top of the dome and it looks much better already. Plus the compound seemed to tone down the stark whiteness of the plastic more in tune with my current armor. I never saw his ABS in a can. I will have to check that out as an option. Im still looking for suggestions so keep them coming.

Great Job Tim!

I really like your frown there! Much better than mine as the holes are much more squared (didn't have a file when I did mine). Also, you can't really complain on the ear fit, one of the best out there! Eyes are really sharp too, I'd say you removed just enough to make it look perfect!

Outstanding job on your bucket, can't wait to see it done!!!

Great Job Tim!

I really like your frown there! Much better than mine as the holes are much more squared (didn't have a file when I did mine). Also, you can't really complain on the ear fit, one of the best out there! Eyes are really sharp too, I'd say you removed just enough to make it look perfect!

Outstanding job on your bucket, can't wait to see it done!!!

Thanks man! Couldn't have done it without you!

• 4 weeks later...

I said I needed to get this lid done and I just busted it out tonight! Submitted for your approval and criticism! I have the outside finished I think except for the rank stripe on the ears. I want to give the grey another few hours to dry completely. And I still have all of the insides left yet. But here is the exterior. Thanks to Alain for all the help and info...Thanks to Nathan for the sweet lenses....Thanks to Stomper for the kick butt Hovi's...and Thanks to everyone on this board for all the info and encouragment to take on my first helmet build like this. I set out 5 months ago just wanting to own a set of stormtrooper armor. You all have opened my eyes to a much larger world....one that I am very humbled to be a part of. OK..Enough with the mushy stuff! Here are the pics!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

drosch said:

-------------

Looks very nice, you did a great job. I take it you didnt paint this after all just gave it a good polish. I am starting to think my AP may need a paint job as its a bit dull compared to the rest of my armour.. I dont know.

I hope to finish mine this weekend and hope it turns out as good as yours :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I did polish it and i want to hit it again now that its done. It is alot more shiney than the pics show. I was actually excited to get the pics up so its still all finger printed and handled when the pics were taken late last night. I did 3 coats by hand before i panted it. I used an automotive polishing compound, then followed with Mothers prewax glaze and then Mothers pure Carnuba wax. I was hoping the wax would yellow the bright white a little to match my older FX armor. I need shine it up for a final time. I have even been looking for a small buffer to do all of my armor polishing.

Unfortunately I won't be there! :angry: Those Philly events are tough to get to. It's farther than most expect from Pittsburgh to Philly! <_< We need some more events on the western side of the state! And that weekend is Winterfest at the ski resort by my house. My ski club is entering the anual ski dummy race. We actually discussed doing a StarWars themed sled and I could wear my armor! If we actually go that route I will post pics! But now that my setup is getting better I need to be getting to more events! Hope to see you soon!