Toy Drive - 7 Metro buses loaded!

LadyInWhite

For the past 20 years, ABC7 (our local ABC station) and So Cal firefighters have been collecting toys throughout the season in their SPARK OF LOVE TOY DRIVE.

We have several events in So Cal, and this was just one of them. It was close to me, and I figure a 4am call time and 7am segment end meant I could get to work afterward, but I ended up taking the day off and staying much later.

At 4am, you wouldn't think it could be in the 30s in So Calif, but where I live it gets a little hotter or colder than the rest of our desert climate. And we had just finished a bit of a rainstorm with another storm moving in. So needless to say, we wimpy Cali troopers were laughing and freezing our butts off while hiding in a Metro bus between takes...

Here we go.

photo+%289%29.JPG

Buckets off to our troopers who do this in truly cold environments. Please send us some tips. I think my lenses were icing up.

121214-galleryimg-stuff-a-bus-garth.JPG

Garth Kemp is a well known personality around here, and reporting on the event as well as weather and whatever else...

121214-galleryimg-stuff-a-bus-garth-santa.JPG

We had some special guests come and go throughout the day.

121214-zine-new.jpg

Mostly our role was to provide eye candy in the background, guard some toys, and oogle celebs.

121215-wright.jpg

What's funny is how I live here and don't know who ANY of these celebrities are. I mean they're often in line in front of me at Jamba Juice and I just have no clue.

121214-bus-honda.jpg

We got to help guard the toys when the Helpful Honda People arrived with CRVs and Pilots loaded with toys to transfer to the buses.

121214-stuff-troopers.jpg

Hey, rookie, get that BFG outa my vocoder, would'ja?

AS ALWAYS, Love trooping with my TwinK "TKRalf" and riding around in his big white F150 ("FISD truck"), and special welcome to one of our newest recruits, TROY!

(You are looking at the nascent Fire Team [name to be determined] as it slowly grows and gets ready to submit...)

Our morning went great (except freezing), and we wanted to come back for the 11-12am broadcast, so we went and had breakfast. When we got back, we were mobbed by the Fire Dept. for photos and met up with ObiShawn and our local TIE pilot and Royal Guard. At that time we learned of the tragedy in Connecticut and realized our local broadcast wasn't going to happen. (Yes I cried in my bucket. Can't help it, I have mom anxiety.) Yet despite not getting any more publicity that day, they still managed to fill - and I mean FILL TO THE BRIM - seven and a half Metro buses! I'm talking golf clubs, bicycles, Xboxes, all the way down to stuffed animals and faerie dolls. Good stuff, some awesome Christmases to be had by all.

:D Happy Holidays, everyone!

Hahaha sorry about pointing my DLT in your face Ingrid! I'm still learning the ropes (and trying to get my armor as shiny as yours!)...

It was a great time and first official troop. Can't wait to do it again and again. Let's just go easy on those 4AM call times... ;)