ANH TK Armor (Noob needs help)

It's the metal cylinders in the picture below, wires go from the back of these up to the counter

pic123i.jpg

pic149_zps93b0b119.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

You will need them if you are building an ANH (a new hope) version, if you are building ESB (empire strikes back) or ROTJ (return of the jedi) then you will have to look at some of their build threads to see if they are needed, all my research has been for the ANH version. Maybe before you go any futher you should have a read through some of the information threads and research what you would like to build and what would be needed http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/.

Any other people who could comment on the quality? :D

The maker said that the gap was a mistake on his part, and he's making sure not to do it again on the final pieces he makes.

He also told me I could give him a ring tomorrow to discuss the origins of the molds.

Talk to the maker, don´t believe everything he tells you. When he says: "Well I created everything on my own, I did not copy anything from anyone, and I did this in one year....." I would stay sceptically.

Believe me: I, personally would buy from one of the vetted makers. Look here:http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

The advantage of that would be, that you can buy a helmet together with the armor, so that the color of the plastics match. And also you would get armor from a reliable and verified source, not such a dubious one.

The disadvantage would be high shipping costs and custom fees. But I would place quality and origin above price, depends on what you want.

Yeahp, I'm totally skeptical about the origin :D but I'd also like to know what you guys think about how it looks judging by the pictures.

Mr. Nichols has mentioned earlier that it seems like a soft pull.

Does it look really bad? or is the softness passable

BTW, he's going to make the armor too, so plastic matching won't be an issue. :)

Once again thanks for the feedback so far. :D

Have you called him?

No need to call himself.

Yeahp, I'm totally skeptical about the origin :D but I'd also like to know what you guys think about how it looks judging by the pictures.

I know it's a recast, but I want to know if you guys like it or do I need to make it better?

Mr. Nichols has mentioned earlier that it seems like a soft pull.

Does it look really bad? or is the softness passable

Can I get away with selling these?

BTW, he's going to make the armor too, so plastic matching won't be an issue. :)

I already bought the plastic to start making the armour too.

Once again thanks for the feedback so far. :D

Thanks for all your help making my new career better.

Edited by troopermaster

That was juvenile..and fyi, i haven't even assembled my own helmet yet..

I'm just really not giving up on this maker yet as he is my only option for now.

Resources are very limited in my country that we don't have the luxury of having all the high quality glues, magnets

cutters, dremels that you guys could so easily acquire at your local Lowe's or Walmart.

It's not simple building a trooper armor here, and so I really have to rely on others who have

networks that could allow them to get all the necessary materials from abroad.

I'm really starting to think about leaving this community, thanks to you, troopermaster. :mellow:

I know it's so easy to speak like that when you don't even have your face displayed on your profile.

People like you ruin the internet. I hope you start manning up and start treating people better.

And if you still don't believe me, give me your email address and I could forward to you my whole conversation with the maker. :)

Have a nice day. I hope you felt better about yourself after having figured out your "grand conspiracy."

Have you called him?

Haven't yet. I have exams until wednesday. I'll ring him up soon once I figure out everything I'll ask him, as I am still doing research in the threads here :)

Edited by TKJustin

Just saying what I think. This is a discussion forum after all. Sometimes people don't always agree on things so don't go running off like a child just because something negative is said.

Now, if you are not the recaster, you know they guy who is and you are helping him by asking all these questions, and the guys replying to your questions are just as quilty. You may or may not be doing this intentionally, but I have seen this all before. Asking all these kinds of questions to help make a product better. If you are a casual buyer then you buy what is on offer.

The helmet in question is a CAP or a recast of a CAP. If you want anything else identifying, just let me know.

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out if he is actually a recaster.

No one has given a definite answer to it yet.

I'm spending not a small amount of cash on this so I'm trying to get as many

opinions as possible. It's not that I'm trying to help the seller, it's more of knowing

everything about what I'm actually spending money on. The moment I hear someone

telling me it's not up to 501st standards, I'd easily drop doing business with this maker. :)

I apologize if I overreacted, but I just hate it when people jump to conclusions.

And perhaps, the way you put it just really caught my nerve.

So it's a CAP. Thanks :) That's what I needed to know.

EDIT: I'd also like someone to comment on the frame of the eyes.

They seem more rounded (cross-section-wise) to me than other helmets I've seen.

I'm not sure if it's just the lighting though.

Most visible at this angle:

IMG_1483.jpg

Edited by TKJustin

For assembling a helmet you only need an utility knife, sandpaper and 8 screws + washers of your choice, and 2 colors of paint.

For the entire armor you use the same knife, sandpaper, tape and epoxy or E6000 glue.

I wouldn't call that a luxury or something reserved for America. Is that what the GML encourages people to think? Also the right ear is painted wrong. The concern about the eyes to me is mostly due to the excessive trimming.

I'm not trying to say you must buy from Troopermaster, I didn't buy from him myself he just happened to jump in on the recast matter. I just think the real topic is how is it risky to order from abroad when you're in the Philippines? How were the incidents reported/experienced? How can it be improved and risks avoided? We want to be all-including and not wanting to see a whole garrison rely on recasts for their costumes to make one single person more wealthy thanks to preconceptions, is part of this all-including spirit.

Some people get bitter because we see the 501st Legion by its popularity has become a marketing stamp for recasters to make money easy, and when we point out the issue we're accused of discriminating people or garrisons, the opposite of what we're actually trying to do. So yes, this helmet is approvable with modifications, but there's a loop-hole in the 501st standards that when taken advantage of can compromise the image of the non-profit organisation. It's not one person's problem, but no need to rub it in our face by using the FISD to certify a recast for future promotions.

Also you need an armor for 501st standards so I don't see how this is a shortcut.

Edited by Nicky

For assembling a helmet you only need an utility knife, sandpaper and 8 screws + washers of your choice, and 2 colors of paint.

For the entire armor you use the same knife, sandpaper, tape and epoxy or E6000 glue.

I wouldn't call that a luxury or something reserved for America. Is that what the GML encourages people to think?

Nope. I did my own research a few months before I met the maker.

I chanced upon some build threads and took note of the basic tools needed.

After finding out that most need to be acquired from the US or UK, I gave up on the project.

I then chanced upon the local outpost and sent emails to the officers.

The GML (his name is actually Luis Cacho, you can check his email in the 501st database)

then told me about this project. And now I'm here asking if his offerings are good enough :D

Also the right ear is painted wrong. The concern about the eyes to me is mostly due to the excessive trimming.

Oh okay thanks. I'm particularly concerned about the outer outline of the eye frames.

They don't seem to have enough definition?

I'm not trying to say you must buy from Troopermaster, I didn't buy from him myself he just happened to jump in on the recast matter. I just think the real topic is how is it risky to order from abroad when you're in the Philippines? How were the incidents reported/experienced? How can it be improved and risks avoided?

From my experience, customs taxes are extremely high, especially for obviously expensive items.

And Star Wars stuff are widely known to be expensive around here. I only order abroad whenever

I visit the country and get it locally. :) Plus, shipping time (two months) is too long and items tend to get lost.

(Imagine trying to return a kit after discovering a flaw or a shipping-caused damage.)

We want to be all-including and not wanting to see a whole garrison rely on recasts for their costumes to make one single person more wealthy thanks to preconceptions, is part of this all-including spirit.

Some people get bitter because we see the 501st Legion by its popularity has become a marketing stamp for recasters to make money easy, and when we point out the issue we're accused of discriminating people or garrisons, the opposite of what we're actually trying to do. So yes, this helmet approvable with modifications, but there's a loop-hole in the 501st standards that when taken advantage of can compromise the image of the non-profit organisation. It's not one person's problem, but no need to rub it in our face by using the FISD to certify a recast for future promotions.

I can understand that a great portion of the hesitation to help me here is the wariness of the 501st community about recasts.

How I see my situation so far is that I'm paying the maker for his costs (getting or making the armor kit) + labor (saving me the

trouble of acquiring the right materials and the time to actually build the suit).

Before I only thought recasts were condemned due to actually low quality. It's only now actually that I'm beginning to realize the real

roots of the negativity towards recasts.

From what I've researched so far (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems that the way recasters make their stuff is pretty much similar to

how vetted armor makers make copies of theirs, or similar to how original prop owners make copies of theirs. But, i can see that

recasters are viewed as people who are simply leeching on the hard work of others.

In the end, I'd like to add in hindsight that one big selling point of this local maker is the extreme convenience of getting an

assembled armor from him.

Edited by TKJustin

Before I only thought recasts were condemned due to actually low quality. It's only now actually that I'm beginning to realize the real

roots of the negativity towards recasts.

From what I've researched so far (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems that the way recasters make their stuff is pretty much similar to

how vetted armor makers make copies of theirs, or similar to how original prop owners make copies of theirs. But, i can see that

recasters are viewed as people who are simply leeching on the hard work of others.

In the end, I'd like to add in hindsight that one big selling point of this local maker is the extreme convenience of getting an

assembled armor from him.

Some people bought the molds to make their armor, some bought the rights of the original owner to copy the armor, some own their own suits and copy them and also there are some who sculpted the armor themselves.

And now your dealer on the Philippines comes along the way and says: "Well, nice looking armor. You paid $15 000 ( or whatever) to acquire the rights of the original owner to use the molds and paid thousands of dollars for new molds to make them even better? Hahaha! So I take your armor, copy it and sell it much cheaper, cause you need to refinance your investments."

Ever thought about that?

I can´t see what you need to import?

E 6000, okay.

Sandpaper? A hobby knife? Screws and washers? Some kind of paint for model work? Snaps? Elastic ?The Philippines are probably no Third World Country ?! These things ARE available.

You don´t necessarily need lexan scissors or a dremel, these are only nice to have.

And that is sufficient to build armor and helmet.

So you talk about money, that you don´t want to pay the tax fees, but on the other you say, that you want an assembled suit.

Assembled armors are always way more expensive than kits. So probably your dealer made you a good offer.

But believe me: Everybody, really EVERYBODY can build a nice looking suit. I got no clue of craftsmanship. If somebody has two left hands, I have three, but that far my armor does not look too bad.

In the end it´s your decision.

Edited by Minuteman

Right now, it's just funny that I spent more time discussing(/arguing) about recasts and vetted kits

than actually getting opinions about how good the helmet and blaster looks. :)) The mood here is very

tense. And I kind regret having touched on the topic of recasts. Looks like it's a big no no here.

I think I'll just wait and see what happens after we talk over the phone.

If it is definitely a recast, I'll drop my 501st plans for now and wait for a better

chance to get armor kits from a vetted seller abroad. I think I'll be visiting the US

next year October, so that may be a good time to pick up some stuff there.

In the mean time, I'll do more research about building kits on my own..and maybe practice

gluing and cutting stuff. :D

It's a very time demanding subject, just like topics about pre-assembled armors, community judgements and assembly skills, If we're to disagree on these, it will render everyone sleepless. :) Don't take it personally, we're not in your perspective and most of us have it easy with our finished costume and Legion-ID all things ready and approved. We can't make the decisions for you or just answer yes / no without questioning the background on a product we've never seen or heard about before. I wouldn't call that "tense".

Sorry we can't tell much else than what we said about the helmet and blaster's looks. We're just not impressed, due to the price tags and assembly flaws to mention the visible.

Xacto and sandpaper, the cheapest, and most hassle-free. The cuts are always precise and clean. I have lexan scissors and dremel tool, and they have so many cons and hazards I would only use them for handplates and ears. The rest of the armor works great with just a xacto knife to score and hands or flat pliers to snap. Slowly but certainly.

But I guess you need to have a kit in your possession to see this as constructive advice and a superior alternative, we don't mean to discourage anyone. It's just not a simple pay and wear hobby. If your GML wants to help newbies and has the network and connections to import kits, why not have him import your kit and pay him for the assist wuth logistics and assembly? It's more expensive but at least you can get a sharper build, vaccuformed properly by the actual maker. If you want to save money, save it by cutting and glueing yourself. We'll show you how, for free.

Edited by Nicky

I guess this all simply means, I haven't really researched enough. :D

It's definitely a hobby that requires patience and practice.

Thanks for the advice too. I've been see people use the xacto knife

not just in this hobby, so I'm definitely getting that.

I really appreciate the analysis on the helmet. I wasn't 100% sold on it

anyway the moment he offered it, so I guess I'll simply ask him questions

just to know more about how he came up with it, and perhaps you guys

can post about him here and warn other buyers if ever he is really a recaster.

Ultimately, I'll just get a kit abroad and go with the self-built armor route.

Till next time. :smiley-sw013: