New RT-MOD Build

TrooperJesse

I got my big brown box from Rob about 1 week ago and ever since then I have just been staring at the box contemplating when I was even going to venture In and unwrap my amazing armor Rob did. Until tonight I took a dive Into the box and laid it all out to get a an idea of what I got myself Into. Luckily I had the forums and it got me excited seeing others building there armor. So starting over the weekand, lets build!!

post-16608-135219641032.jpg

Also quick question the thermal detonator do I need to paint it gray and if so what type of paint. Thanks In advance guys!

For the TD, you do have to paint it grey, but I am not sure the exact shade. If you search around for the TM builds, look for the Geaux Saints build thread, there are some pretty good pictures of the TD on there. You can get a general idea of the coloration. Do you have two TD panels, I see two in that picture.

For the TD, you do have to paint it grey, but I am not sure the exact shade. If you search around for the TM builds, look for the Geaux Saints build thread, there are some pretty good pictures of the TD on there. You can get a general idea of the coloration. Do you have two TD panels, I see two in that picture.

Just those 2 I'm I missing something?

There should only be one TD panel, maybe he included one from ROTJ or something, I can't really make out the details of the second panel. Or maybe an extra one got dropped in...

There should only be one TD panel, maybe he included one from ROTJ or something, I can't really make out the details of the second panel. Or maybe an extra one got dropped in...

Too clarify this is what the second one looks like post-16608-135222913154.jpg

Sorry I couldn't turn it around

Yo. The back panel is to mount clips to. I ditched the black panel and put proper clips on it. I use that back TD plate to test paint now :)

Try rustoleum's "smoke gray" with a coat of rustoleum's plastic primer first. Maybe sanding with a 400 or higher grit first before priming to knock the gloss off the PVC.

-Eric

Yo. The back panel is to mount clips to. I ditched the black panel and put proper clips on it. I use that back TD plate to test paint now :)

Try rustoleum's "smoke gray" with a coat of rustoleum's plastic primer first. Maybe sanding with a 400 or higher grit first before priming to knock the gloss off the PVC.

-Eric

ahh thanks man! was wondering what this was for lol! :). Appreciate it

Yeah, ditch the back panel, the clips you can make with 1 or 1.5mm aluminum strips and there will be no need for that back plate. There are a few how-tos based on making you own TD clips.

Moving my conversation here, Jesse! :D

>>Yea i figured that. I mean I did not plan to finish it over my winter break, just get ahead of my work :). I am having trouble with the cover strip since mine is the RT-MOD build and already has the molder cover grove over the armor. I need suggestions on that.<<

If you plan to do the butt-join, you simply trim the front pieces with that molded ridge to the width you want, and then apply the cover strip over it. Mine have a teeny bit of molded edge sticking out the sides of the cover strip, front and back. I'm not sure that's exactly right, but look at some of the screen shots in the reference library to be sure, or dig into some of the EI and Centurion submission photos. And this tutorial. -------------- Hope that helps :D

If you do overlap, someone else should give you pointers because I would hate to steer you wrong :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 11/8/2012 at 2:56 PM, LadyInWhite said:

Moving my conversation here, Jesse! :D

>>Yea i figured that. I mean I did not plan to finish it over my winter break, just get ahead of my work :). I am having trouble with the cover strip since mine is the RT-MOD build and already has the molder cover grove over the armor. I need suggestions on that.<<

If you plan to do the butt-join, you simply trim the front pieces with that molded ridge to the width you want, and then apply the cover strip over it. Mine have a teeny bit of molded edge sticking out the sides of the cover strip, front and back. I'm not sure that's exactly right, but look at some of the screen shots in the reference library to be sure, or dig into some of the EI and Centurion submission photos. And this tutorial. ------------Hope that helps :D

If you do overlap, someone else should give you pointers because I would hate to steer you wrong :D

Thanks Ingrid! I have a question is it just me or does this not look right?

(The left thigh)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

speaking from my AP experience, the thighs did not line up perfectly top and bottom. I aligned my thigh bottoms. I am about to embark on some thigh trimming to equalize the tops in hopes of bringing them a little higher up /closer to the torso.

that said, probably best to consult other RT-Mod builds though to be sure.

I say align the bottom and worry about the top later. Just use E-6000 so you can fix it later... chances are you'll want to shrink the diameter of your thighs some. I trimmed mine and I wanna trim some more.

-Eric

I say align the bottom and worry about the top later. Just use E-6000 so you can fix it later... chances are you'll want to shrink the diameter of your thighs some. I trimmed mine and I wanna trim some more.

-Eric

But by trimming don't you take away the way it looks?

The top is already up in your waist, and is much less noticeable once it's on. The bottom however is a different story. Take a look at how a few other EI/Cent with RT mod handled it in their pictures. It's really down to align the bottoms, then trim the top slightly so that it doesn't look so off at the connection. If you are using coverstrips, this will help mask the fact even more that you trimmed anything, and clamshell evenmore so.

To clarify... align the bottoms.... and don't worry about how the top of the back of the thigh will line up. The top of the fronts will line up nicely regardless.

-Eric

To clarify... align the bottoms.... and don't worry about how the top of the back of the thigh will line up. The top of the fronts will line up nicely regardless.

-Eric

Alright I got it, thanks guys. So as for getting the thighs to the same fit as my thighs I cut where the armor overlaps?

Alright I got it, thanks guys. So as for getting the thighs to the same fit as my thighs I cut where the armor overlaps?

Yep... but I wouldn't cut anything until you wear the whole thing at least a few times.

-Eric