simple split rivet punch

hi guys.

i was looking at the split rivets that i have last night and was rattling my brain thinking there must be a simple way of folding them over.

so i went in to the shed this morning, stud for a few minutes thinking then came up with this simple idea.... :duim:

a peace of strong round metal bar.

a hand grinder to start the cut lines off.

and a round file to Finnish off the cut groves to shape.

ZH6S8HO.jpg

FaJx50f.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

On 10/10/2012 at 10:06 PM, chookaboom said:

wouldn't you want the legs to lay flat when completed so as not to have a raised area for things to catch on? or am I missing something totally obvious?

here is a video i done a couple of days ago to show the punch i action. the tip end of the rivet legs if that's what there called, kind of curls over and grabs tight to the bottom of the washer that is put over them. the points have a good grip to the washer and don't stick out. i suppose you could whack it with the hammer after wise if preferred to make it a bit flatter.

the split rivet used in the video is a steal type which is much harder to fold over than a brass one is. so the punch is a good tool to get the ends of those legs to start to spread apart.

i think the way the rivet grabs would be ideal for the likes of when working with leather do you think?

BJ these rivets were in a tub that i got of my farther about 20 years ago. when he had it in his shed i can remember rummaging throw it as a young lad and seeing them and wondering what they were for.

hears the video any was. see what you lot make of it.

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021