Why not TK

nicksevere

I know I'm new but I've been dreaming of doing a TK for so long. It kinda breaks my heart to see so few TKs in pictures/field ops. Shouldn't we strive for as many TKs as possible at all times? If you have multiple costumes why do you choose against TK and what would it take you to go TK.

Discuss...

Well I personally troop as a Snowtrooper more often because a) I live in Alaska, B) its more comfortable for long periods, c) I'm the only one in the outpost so I feel I need to represent and d) I've always felt Snowies were a little extra BA. Most of our troops in Fairbanks are 1-2 TKs, me as TS, and 1 TB/CDR Bly so we don't really get large troops. I bust out the TK for events I feel it would be more appropriate for or if we might have just me and the other 2 TKs in the area. I can understand that desire to have a whole "legion" of just TKs but we all have certain costumes or characters we just love.

oh and e) POUCHES!

In Hawaii, we have zero snowtroopers lol. TK was my first love. I built one, got approved, and started trooping. Most of the troopers were clones, I was normally the only TK, and I stood out. We had an assortment, but we did not have a Rex. The kids always asked where Rex was. So I built one. Owning both is a great option. The adults instantly recognize the TK, while kids love Rex. For Halloween last year I wore my TK to a Chinatown party, and the crowd went nuts. I wore my Rex to Waikiki, and not as much. So for adult events, I lean towards TK. We have more troopers building TK's now, and we are planning a TD squad too.

So some of it depends on the flavor of the troopers in your area :) And some depends on what you like. I was never really into the clones until I built mine, and now I have both a Phase I and Phase II Rex. The series has really gotten very good lately! However, I always tell people, start with a TK build. Clones are 5X the work at least.

I love the thought of other costumes. I have no draw myself but want to do a clone for my nephew. I get that.

But I look at the pics from early Celebrations compared to 5 & 6 it saddens me to see the numbers dwindling.

Please keep talking about this and let's see how we can represent the FISD to its full extent.

So for adult events, I lean towards TK.

(snip)

However, I always tell people, start with a TK build. Clones are 5X the work at least.

We had this discussion at a b-day party last weekend. Adults get nostalgic about the TK. Kids seem to be more familiar with the clones. Also the clones are popular to wear these days because (imho) there is more variety and creativity in them, as Luis points out. And they are definitely harder to build.

I'm a shiny white at heart and always will be, and it is my first choice to wear. I only made my staff officer because I needed a plain-clothes option for Celebration - yet I craved being in my TK constantly. I have an IN in the works but waiting for jumpsuit. I also have a shock trooper in the works but I hate it and am ready to throw out the armor and get a newer, more modern suit. And at least 5 if not more of us in my garrison are ready for ATA's magma trooper. That's going to be a troop to behold.

I always say: a lone TK is a target. And in reading the October Newsletter from 2011, Paul (Daetrin) also mentions how a lone TK doesn't get as much attention - the MORE TKs together the more picture-worthy. And what a sight to behold. Our YMCA photo from CVI was from having four of us together - a huge attraction!

My garrison has probably 50 or 100 TKs, who knows. We're pretty huge. We usually have to put limits on how many TKs are together. But usually people see a few TKs on the attendee list and opt for alternate costumes so they stand out. Depends on the event, too... We've had as much as 5-7 at events I've attended.

I absolutely love trooping with a dozen or more TKs. It's a sense of power and comradery. In my squad we usually have a wide variety of costumes represented at troops. Several reasons for this, but it can be beneficial to have that diversity. We reach out to more that way. If I'm in my TK, I could scare a kid to death. Commander Rex walks up to him and BAM, kid hugs his leg. TK numbers aren't dwindeling much, and I saw a lot of stormies at C6.

I love the thought of other costumes. I have no draw myself but want to do a clone for my nephew. I get that.

But I look at the pics from early Celebrations compared to 5 & 6 it saddens me to see the numbers dwindling.

Please keep talking about this and let's see how we can represent the FISD to its full extent.

You have to consider that the Legion was FAR smaller back in the days of CI (1999), CII (2002), CIII (2005), and even C4 (2007). The Legion was also initially stormtroopers-only. As the Legion grew, more costume types were accepted. Also, a lot has happened since the days of C4 and back - primary among them being the Clone Wars cartoon series. So I think it's less about the gross numbers dwindling and more about the decreased proportion of approved stormtroopers relative to the Legion at large - and even then if you look at the numbers, the TK is still the single most popular costume by a wide margin.

http://www.501st.com/

Here in New Mexico I think a lot of guys opt out to have more flexible costumes. TBs are fairly popular here as they are much easier to move in but still have the cool armored look. It is not uncommon for me to be the only TK at a troop. The up side is that the TK is the most iconic of the Classic Star Wars troopers, so I get nice attention, even if I am a solo trooper.