Blaster for newbies

TrooperJay

I let kids hold mine all the time, but I use a strict procedure to ensure against mishaps.

Giving:

1. When handing your blaster to someone, offer them the grip while holding the T-tracks.

2. Show them where to put their other hand (under the stock/ around the tracks).

3. DO NOT LET GO UNTIL THEY ARE HOLDING PROPERLY WITH BOTH HANDS.

Receiving:

1. Grasp firmly around the T-tracks immediately, don't snatch it, but don't be hesitant.

2. If you grasp from above, they won't let go as quick because they aren't sure if you're holding it yet.

BTW kids love it when you show them how to hold it properly, it adds to the experience.

Always give them a

"Yeah, that's the way you do it!" or

"You're a natural, have you ever thought about joining the Empire?"

once they have a proper grip.

On my very first troop an older girl asked if she could hold my blaster. I told her to be careful, and handed it to her. Within seconds a younger kid rushed up and was taking it from her. I was able to get it back quickly, but I realized that if you let one kid hold its probably best to be ready for them all to want to a turn.

Not a minute later I watched as another trooper handed a hyperfirm to a kid who immediately dropped it on the ground. I held a tight grip on my blaster for the rest of the day.

[snip] if you let one kid hold its probably best to be ready for them all to want to a turn.

Oh yes indeed.

I let them all have a go of mine, I've never had any of those sorts of troubles.

I tend to be happy-go-lucky with these sort of things... *shrugs*

I generally don't let kids hold my blaster with the excuse that kids shouldn't play with guns.

:duim: Best excuse ever.

On my very first troop an older girl asked if she could hold my blaster. I told her to be careful, and handed it to her. Within seconds a younger kid rushed up and was taking it from her. I was able to get it back quickly, but I realized that if you let one kid hold its probably best to be ready for them all to want to a turn.

Not a minute later I watched as another trooper handed a hyperfirm to a kid who immediately dropped it on the ground. I held a tight grip on my blaster for the rest of the day.

*sigh* A Hyperfirm is what I am buying for my first blaster....god I would probably give a Darth Vader scream if that happened. haha

If my blaster would fall I'm pretty sure it would survive. It's made from aluminium and steel. But like I said, I generally don't let kids handle it. They can touch it, but not hold it themselves.

Whether your blaster is a real Sterling, a full-resin build, or a solid rubber cast, we can all agree that dropping it is a VERY BAD THING and that it may well leave some kind of mark.

(even if it doesn't shatter into a million pieces).

So whether you want to be sensible like Mathias and play it safe or live dangerously and risk your baby all the time like I do...

DON'T DROP IT

otherwise

negativeman-55f.gif

Edited by Darth Furious

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm leaning very heavily towards one of these as well. Quick question? Has anyone tried spraying a completed blaster down with plast-dip before painting? Seems like it would seal it, protect it a little from accidental droppage and also match the finish fairly close.

Any thought or ideas on this?

I'm leaning very heavily towards one of these as well. Quick question? Has anyone tried spraying a completed blaster down with plast-dip before painting? Seems like it would seal it, protect it a little from accidental droppage and also match the finish fairly close.

Any thought or ideas on this?

I had the same idea on plasti-dip. Was hoping I could find something out but no luck for me.

I had the same idea on plasti-dip. Was hoping I could find something out but no luck for me.

I'll be ordering my full kit in a couple of weeks. Just got on a 7 month waiting list for my armor so plenty of time on my hands in the interim. I'll be sure to post build pics and let you know how the plast-dip works out.