Q about measurements and more stuff...

I've mostly been researching the heck out of this place since I've joined, gathered some gear from some FISD members and started the inquiry on armor...learned a lot in the last few weeks and I've really been excited to see how much the fellow members of the FISD step up to help newbies like myself when it comes time to actually build...that gives me a good amount of confidence when it comes time for ME to put GLUE to PLASTIC....so Thanks guys, for being who your are!

A few questions, though:

(1)

When taking measurements (I've emailed with Rob about his armor and its accomodation for larger individuals), is the waist size your PANTS waist size or actually around the belly button (I'm assuming the latter, am I right?)

That being stated, am I also right in assuming that calves are measured at the largest, as are thighs, forearms, biceps, as well?

(2)

The Overlap vs. Butt Join method: The strip overlap method is screen accurate plus it takes longer to assemble this way...is being screen accurate the reason lots of folks choose this method (aside from the fact it also makes for solidly built piece of armor, I'm sure). Overlap just seems an easier way to construct, especially for someone who's never built armor before....

I KNOW I have tons of more questions (and will have plenty of more when the suit is in my hands), but I'm not going to overload the board right now so thanks for any help!

Edited by kevnaminute

Here's my opinion/answer to question 2. I chose the butt joining method for the TK limbs because it is screen accurate. It looks better to me too.

You have to ask yourself what your ultimate goal is with your TK armor project. Do you want to be in the 501st? If so, then the overlap method is perfectly fine. I did the overlap method with my first FX kit (however that kit was built without my knowledge of whitearmor.net). BUT if you want to be in the 501st AND take your armor to the next level by also being accepted into the levels of EIB and Centurion status here on the FISD then butt joining is what you need to do.

that gives me a good amount of confidence when it comes time for ME to put GLUE to PLASTIC....so Thanks guys, for being who your are!

(1)

When taking measurements (I've emailed with Rob about his armor and its accomodation for larger individuals), is the waist size your PANTS waist size or actually around the belly button (I'm assuming the latter, am I right?)

That being stated, am I also right in assuming that calves are measured at the largest, as are thighs, forearms, biceps, as well?

(2)

The Overlap vs. Butt Join method: The strip overlap method is screen accurate plus it takes longer to assemble this way...is being screen accurate the reason lots of folks choose this method (aside from the fact it also makes for solidly built piece of armor, I'm sure). Overlap just seems an easier way to construct, especially for someone who's never built armor before....

(0) Pre-cut and pre-glue anxiety is normal. Embrace it and GO FOR IT! :D

(1) This is not tuxedo tailoring. Do your best. I personally trim and fit, pencil in where I want to make marks, then fit again. I trim and fit a lot until it's just right. I find this easier than measuring which never seems to work for me. However, some guys are great at it.

(2) Butt join looks significantly better, imho. I also did not find it to be difficult or more work at all. In fact, it's easier for trimming and getting things to fit right. And if I need to repair, if I peel off a cover strip and ruin it, that's far less of a problem than if I peel off an overlap and ruin that.

I was going to do the overlap method when I was doing research. However with more reading and researching in the end I decided to do the butt join as it was the more accurate representation. I didn't find the butt join too difficult. Also when I had to redo my calves a few times it was relatively easy to get the cover strip off and redo it. This was my first build with no previous experience. Also like you mentioned it does seem to be a stronger bond. You'd have no problem doing the butt join method.

Definitely go with the more accurate method. After spending a few weeks on here you'll catch the bug too! Might as well do it right from the start. A few more hours up front will save you days of effort after the fact.