Some help/advice please

Hello.

So, I started this AP kit build about a year ago... but then work got busy and my dad's health declined... however, now I'm back and trying to finish this build which I believe to be about 85% - 90% done (it's that last 10% that's the tough part, I'm finding).

Anyway, my original post is here: http://www.whitearmo...l=&fromsearch=1

I've done a lot since my last update there though, so a little progress report then some questions.

Helmet = done. Just need to install fans but totally ready for approval.

Arms = nearly done. Just need to attach the forearms to the biceps and then wear it for a little bit then trim, trim, trim. I think the biceps and the bells came out pretty well though.

Torso = nearly done. Belt is now completely done. Still need to clamshell the sides, but that's a question I'm having. All the snaps are in place (just a few more to fine tune) and I'm using a suspender system to hold it all up. (please see pics)

post-14923-0-38951100-1344045133.jpg

Legs = Hrm... shins are pretty much done... however the thighs are being a giant pain in the an impolite person. Turns out the left thigh is not the same diameter as the right thigh and I'll need to shim the thigh piece (as seen in the pic)... very annoying and a little beyond my current skills probably... hopefully someone from the local garrison (Bast Alpha) will be able to help me.

Anyway, here's the questions...

If notice in this pic:

post-14923-0-31896400-1344045140.jpg

There are several problems/questions here.

1. The butt plate rides pretty high and overlaps the kidney plate, which makes it so the butt plate does not sit so nicely on my tush. What am I doing wrong here? It's connected to the kidney plate by two elastic snaps in the center and 2 velcro strips on the side.

2. You'll notice that there is a nice gap between my ab plate and back. Not nice. I think I have to shim, but I think if I just lose 10 lbs, I wouldn't have to... is there a way I can temporarily shim this?

3. A local garrison member and friend (who has been a HUGE help to me) says this doesn't look weird... but to me, it looks like I have a HUGE gap between my butt plate and the top of my back thigh! A lot of black there! Is that normal?

4. You'll also notice the nasty way the left thigh (this is a mirror shot) doesn't connect at the top. Makes me feel like I have giant legs or something... anyway... a garrison member said it's a shim using an ABS paste you make, but... well, he's supposed to help me with that... any advice?

So, sorry for the long-winded post... just trying to figure this out.

Cheers,

David

PS. Sorry for the crappy pic quality. Seeing as I'm a camera op for film and TV, please don't consider this an example of my professional work!

Welcome back, David! Never fear, we're here to help :) Your questions/concerns almost reflect mine exactly - you can read about them in my build doc (linked in my sig). That might be some chicken soup for the trooper's soul.

0. It might be the reflection in the mirror, but your ab plate looks upside down or something. :P

1. Your butt plate looks fine to me - I'd tuck it under the kidney/belt and let it be. They all sit kind of funny. When I had this same question/issue, someone posted a pic of a rear-shot of a bunch of troopers (I think heading toward the Falcon?) and they all have the same issue.

2. Maybe we all say that.......I'm still trying to lose that 10. So I shimmed about 1" on either side. The AP is definitely a skinny man's armor :D

3. You'll be happy for the gap. It's where the girls can pinch your bum instead of your armor.

4. Your garrison friend may be right. I'll post an alternate below because ABS paste is a messy p.i.t.a.

5. Nobody's judging your photos - glad you provided them! :D

So. Thighs. Certainly still my biggest bane. I've been through them three times and I still hate them.

First, left and right are not equal - it's probably not you. The right is a bit more convex on the AP and they don't fit together quite perfectly. Do the best you can and don't sweat it.

OPTION 1

If they fit the way you want them to, put a cover strip in the inside to completely fill the gap. (Use a white "For Sale" sign because they're more flexible and curve better.) Then, of course, you need the back cover strip.

My guess is that you attempted to taper it a bit to match your leg. (I started not tapering, then re-did my thighs three times. Wait I already said that. Dammit!)

OPTION 2

I would undo the back, put a wide cover strip inside so that you can LINE UP THE TWO SIDES in such a way that they fit you properly with the inside cover in place. Make sure the two edges are as parallel as possible, but you might already be curved and I wouldn't cut any more. If you do have to trim the edges any more, trim the inner thigh so any seam cheats away from the bump on the outer thigh's edge.

Then once that is set, you have two choices. If the gap is really wide, fill it with Bondo or an equivalent, sand/smooth it down, prime and paint it, and then afterward apply a cover strip where it would go along the bump on the outer thigh's edge. If the gap is less than 20mm, you can apply a 25mm cover strip over it and voila!

I hope this makes sense. I'll try to make a diagram to visualize what I mean and update. Or you can ignore me, because I'm sure someone else will post an easier/better solution that I will joyously learn from! :laugh1:

Ok here's what I mean, hope it makes sense.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I had the same butt plate issue. What worked for me was moving the snaps closer together from the butt plate to the cod piece and shorten the strap for more tension. Then it sounds like you have too much slack as well between the kidney plate and the butt plate. Same thing, bring the snaps closer together and shorten the straps. Lose the velcro and use strap/snap instead. For me, I had 4 elastic straps and it worked well. (Pictures also help of your strapping system.)

That should work for you.

Edited by bigironvault

So. Thighs. Certainly still my biggest bane. I've been through them three times and I still hate them.

First, left and right are not equal - it's probably not you. The right is a bit more convex on the AP and they don't fit together quite perfectly. Do the best you can and don't sweat it.

First off, it's the mirror. Makes my left thigh look like my right as well... Also, I don't have the strip of 4 buttons glued on yet, so that helps it look weird.

Anyway... back to the thigh thing... so after reading your response last night, I started to rethink it... (nothing like lying in bed, watching 30 rock on netflix with your armor). I started to think that I could, in the words of Futurama, re-jigger it so I didn't have at the top of the left thigh. After a few trials, I think came up with a solution based a large part on your diagram above. I'm going to let it sit in my brain a little while before making the cut... still plenty of other stuff to do.

BTW, gaff tape is great for armor trials... screen accurate too. Also, reading your sig, I just discovered your document on your AP build. What a wonderful morning read... I'll have to look at this in great detail before I start my day's build activities.

I had the same butt plate issue. What worked for me was moving the snaps closer together from the butt plate to the cod piece and shorten the strap for more tension. Then it sounds like you have too much slack as well between the kidney plate and the butt plate. Same thing, bring the snaps closer together and shorten the straps. Lose the velcro and use strap/snap instead. For me, I had 4 elastic straps and it worked well. (Pictures also help of your strapping system.)

Okay... attached are pictures of my (incomplete) snap system. I'll circled in red the place for the two additional snaps that I need to include... also, I need to secure my chest piece to the ab piece (another yet, unresolved snap).

I'll try shortening the crotch snap and see if that helps.

7711488232_2be5200c94.jpg

Thanks for the help thus far!

Cheers,

David

I see from your strapping photo that you have the right idea to help with the cod. I did find, however, when I moved snaps further out, that I ended up with it popping out from under the belt a lot, so I put a big giant velcro thing in the middle connecting stiffly to the ab, kind of like a tab would do, to prevent it popping out.

Your butt looks fine except I agree with Keith that you should forego the velcro and replace with snaps. Also, do not expect the top of the butt to line up all the way around with the bottom of the kidney. The movie suits were split and they rested on the form of the butt, making little triangles of black on the outsides between butt & kidney.

Okay... this is what I have since my last update (of course, this will look much better with the drop boxes):

7734393690_1e253959ee_c.jpg

And back:

7734393940_89a89f512e_c.jpg

I'm still not really liking the space between the butt plate and the top of the thigh. Seems pretty huge to me. So, does that look right?

I also have the gap at the top of the left thigh, although not as big as the previous position. This seems surmountable, whereas the other thigh assembly seemed too large for fixing... I still need to cut the space out of the back of the knees (bottom thigh) so I can properly walk and also it will allow the thigh to glue flush.

As far as the abs... I've put in a shim and I'm using 1" brass fasteners (for hole punch paper), painted white. The top is 8mm. On the inside, I'm using white gaff tape to keep the metal ends for cutting or digging into me.

I'd love to hear some feedback about this.

7734394126_53ee1dc87e_c.jpg

7734394298_095eab6da0_c.jpg

7734393426_2394abb041_c.jpg

Thanks,

David

Definitely open up the thighs more (in the back) and pull them up a bit more. Even if that means you end up using shims in the back of the thighs.

Thanks, Brian. I'll add more space to the top of the thigh.

Another question... I'm confused about the visible snap on the right side of the ab plate. Is it the back side of the male snap or the front side of the male snap? Seems like I can find photo evidence of both. In the screen shot often used for reference, it really looks like the backside of the snap to me.

If it's the front side of the male snap, I really don't understand its purpose?

Also, is there a specific measurement that it is in the top corner that I should place it?

----------

Thanks,

David

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It is the back side of the snap, meaning it points inwards. The purpose is to help keep the armour closed as there is a matching elastic with the other half of the snap glued inside the kidney plate to mach up with this snap.

Okay. Thank you! That's what I thought! Whew... really had me questioning myself there though when I saw this 501st member pic, which looks like the front side of the snap (but I guess that's just my eyes playing tricks on me):

Is there a measurement it should be from the top and the sides of the right side of the ab plate or is it just what looks right?

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Oh! I was writing out a response and suddenly it became very clear to me. I've been viewing Mark's picture in head upside down. D'oh!

I get it now! Thank you!

Thanks to everyone here and with my local garrison, I've completed my armor for submission to the 501st. It's going to be a LONG few days or weeks waiting for approval and my long sought after TK#, that's for sure!

Still a few things to fix...

The left greave is too tight, so I need to trim.

I need to secure the belt to the abs.

Also, my blaster sucks... so I need a good one.

I need attach the forearms to the biceps.

I need add the electronics to my helmet.

Get some non-rubber gloves for regular trooping.

I'm waiting on a few supplies from trooperbay to arrive and new clips for my canister.

But otherwise, I'm pretty damn impressed with how nice (as it can) feels completely on.

Here's some pics... and of course, I'm open for some more advice. If you look closely in the back of the left thigh, you might see my shim job with ABS paste... but, I actually think it came out very nice looking... you really have to look to see it.

Again... thanks to everyone here for all the help!

7760523432_a18b5dae27_c.jpg

7760527122_2a2339cc7d_c.jpg

7760534534_76c445c7b5_c.jpg

You'll want to lower your biceps, put an elastic strap across the bottom of your shoulder bells and wear your belt higher. Then you should be good. :)

You'll want to lower your biceps, put an elastic strap across the bottom of your shoulder bells and wear your belt higher. Then you should be good. :)

Fixing the belt today for my garrison pics. I'll also take care of the bicep issues as well while I'm at it.

As far as the logo on the back goes... yeah... it's underarmor and I just took a sharpie over the logo. I think I need to shorten the shoulder straps so the back hangs a tad bit higher, which hopefully will help cover the logo some. I'll have to see after that... I really thought underarmor was the way to go with this, but now looking at the back... maybe not.

Any suggestions?

Just a head's up. It's official! I got my TK number assignment last night! TK 8453 is now reporting for duty.

Big THANK YOU to everyone for all of your help. I will try to pay it forward to other up-and-coming troopers.

7760531914_fec1f5eca0_z.jpg