HOWTO: Make your own ABS repair paste

TI-3844

Awesome idea!

I bought a used Magma FX kit (Red TK) that is bad shape. The previous owner attached everything with rivits and they look like crap. Plus some spots have cracked at the rivets. i have been racking my brain trying to figure how to patch without having to repaint. I will post pictures when done....

Just wondering where I can pick up some acetone?

I have to do some repairs due to a dremel slip up and Im gonna be using this tip to repair it

You can pick up acetone at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint section. it is usually next to the paint thinners.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2010 at 4:13 AM, MiDri said:

can you post a few pics of your turn edge post repair? I'd like to see.

Some photos of my lid in progress. I went back and coated the inside with paste (to make it thicker) too.

It did shrivel up some of the thinner areas though. So now I'm sanding and repainting both inside and out.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 2/17/2010 at 4:13 AM, MiDri said:

can you post a few pics of your turn edge post repair? I'd like to see.

I'm still working on smoothing these out, but you get the idea.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I tried this process and it didn't work. It never dissolved the ABS and instead left a gum type substance. While it was pliable, it didn't repair the hole I had from a rivet very well. It did harden well, however, it changed from the white of ABS to a grayish color not matching the armor. My only question is how long do you need to dissolve the ABS in the Acetone? 5, 10 30 mins? longer? Maybe that was my problem. I tried Apoxie paste which works excellent, however, it doesn't match the ABS color and trying to match the color after the repair is a beast, and I have never really matched it well, it is quite visible to naked eye that a repair has been done.If anyone knows how to match Apoxie paste to your armor, I'd love a tutorial on it, as that stuff works wonders, but color matching becomes the main problem with this type of repair.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you stir it? If you just leave it sittting to dissolve it probably won't work.

I've used this on many things, including major repairs to my helmet, and it has worked fine every time.

You may be doing something wrong during the process.