IP blockage

Anyone else get blocked and told to email Eric? I'm just wondering if this a wide spread issue.

No, just you (and 5 other IP's). And I suggest that you send that email. :)

I already did, he said he would unblock the ip yesterday, and hasn't replied since. What's going on? Why only 5 ips?

Huh. That's weird. Can't think of a reason why besides I'm on a lot looking at tips and tutorials. Give Eric a poke for me and SCtrooper, he is blocked under this umbrella too. Thanks

Edited by Dougherty.D

IP'S aren't tied to anyone in particular. Its very possible there was a spambot or such robot server on the IP address you currently have, and that IP was blocked. Then, said server loses IP for whatever reason and it goes back to the DHCP pool. Now, you come along one day and your ISP gives you that IP address for your modem. Boom, you are now blocked.

Ā 

So, you just have to send that email so they can unblock your IP. In the mean time, they will probably block another IP that is causing problems.

Ā 

It's easy for me to say, block all of russia or china on my .htaccess file for my blog. But, when you have a site (like FISD) that is meant to allow access to members all over the world, you can't just out right block a country that is known for robots. The only other option is to block IP's, which unfortunately can affect real people sometimes.

Ā 

Cat and mouse game it is.

Edited by TK3425

Derek et al,

Ā 

We are still in the midst of trying to get our forum software to behave under the confines of our current hosting scenario. I ask that anyone who has their IP redirected or is otherwise "banned" have patience. The alternative to patience is that we move to a much more expensive hosting situation, which I am trying my best to avoid. FISD is supported by its members and I'd rather not ask for any more than anyone already gives in time and money.

Ā 

I apologize for any annoyance, inconvenience, or hassle you may experience. I promise this is just as much a bummer for the web admins as it is for anyone.

Ā 

Aloha and thanks again,

Ā 

-Eric