Alternatives to under suits

What Under Armour does everyone wear? Shopping around, I see Heatgear, Coldgear, Turfgear, all kinds of stuff...what works, and what doesn't, and why?

The challenge with undergear is the logos that a lot of manufactures place brazenly on the gear. Usually the logo can be blacked out, but after a good washing (you DO wash your undergear, don't you?), the blackout needs to be re-applied. The problem with UnderArmor is that the logo is high on the back, which is visible under your TK armor. Sometimes you can find some "off-brands" similar to UnderArmor that don't have logos. I vary what I wear based on the weather, since Minnesota varies from humid 90s in the summer to zero (yes zero) in the late fall. I use a standard spandex two piece (the problem with a one piece is obvious for guys) for most troops, and layer a second set if it is colder and windy. (Keep in mind if you use a second set of insulation to NOT use cotton, since it absorbs moisture and will make you uncomfortable. You need a material that wicks, like you use in any outdoor sports, like skiing). For the REALLY cold days, I have two black smoothie wetsuits that I use: one is 2mm and the other 5mm. The black rubber really does hold the heat. My armor pieces seal with industrial strength velcro, which allows me to vary the thickness of my undergarments. If you are lucky enough to live in a more temperate climate, then you won't have as many hastles keeping comfortable.

But remember, any time you stay in armor for a while, especially if you are active (vs. just standing around), you will generate a lot of heat. The natural heat from your body in armor will add warmth too. So don't OVERdress or you will be really uncomfortable. Good luck and good trooping!

We're noticing here in the TOR practices that people with very padded helmets are feeling hotter than those with empty buckets, and one person I know is removing pads to aid airflow.

Not quite on topic per se, but it is body temperature regulatory in nature :)

As one of the gals who does this, I've got to keep in mind that bathroom breaks are going to be hell in a one piece under suit. What I've found is that dancer's leggings make for a good bottom, and you can find "snap crotch" style leotards that have the full length arm and turtleneck neck. It's not ideal, but at least it means I can hit the ladies' room without having to completely lose the entire armor.

We're noticing here in the TOR practices that people with very padded helmets are feeling hotter than those with empty buckets, and one person I know is removing pads to aid airflow.

Not quite on topic per se, but it is body temperature regulatory in nature :)

I believe I was that person. The padding was initially added to prevent wobbling since I have a small head but removing a front and back pad did add a little relief. I found also by wearing a UA cap, it indirectly prevented the helmet from wobbling around. During the march I noticed one trooper with minimal padding having to adjust his helmet every five minutes or so due to wobbling.