MxPxRobbie's ANH Stunt Helmet Build [ATA]

This was once my AM build thread, but since I have sold that armor it is now a build thread for my ATA ANH Stunt bucket.

Having said that, here's the obligatory preliminary photos...

ata.jpg

ata1.jpg

Edited by MxPxRobbie

I noticed the same on my AM Kit, it seems that the abs for the coverstrip has a decent red shade, difficult to define, but it is definitely different.

How noticeable is it when assembled?

Not too bad. Most people will never notice. Only people who have built it before would notice. You can look at my pics linked in signature and maybe tell.

I wanted to use the excess material that I trimmed off the thighs and shins for cover strips but I made small cuts and they were too narrow. You might consider that.

The spare ABS strips are definitely a different shade. However, it's generally not noticeable during trooping. It's really only noticeable in photographs taken under certain indoor lighting conditions, in particular fluorescent lighting.

That doesn't make any sense to me why the armor would ship with two different shades of plastic... I could understand using them for the backing strips, but you would think they could just cut up some of the same ABS the armor is pulled from.

It doesn´t make sense to me too, but that is what you´ve got.

So there are two possibilities:

Take the abs strips with the different shade or use the excess that you can trim of.

Depending on how thin you are it could be possible for you to do the job with the excess.

They may well be the same plastic. You should remember that once the plastic has been vaccu-formed it has been stretched out and that can alter the shade and coloring very slightly, but enough to be noticeable side by side. I have been experimenting with vaccu-forming lately and have observed this first hand. Do what I did with my (black) AM armor. trim the excess carefully and use that...

They may well be the same plastic. You should remember that once the plastic has been vaccu-formed it has been stretched out and that can alter the shade and coloring very slightly, but enough to be noticeable side by side. I have been experimenting with vaccu-forming lately and have observed this first hand. Do what I did with my (black) AM armor. trim the excess carefully and use that...

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure I will be cutting pieces off of the front (to get that vertical line not so wide) so I will do my best to salvage as much of that as I can.The parts I'm most concerned about are the legs - the fronts are always visible on those. Biceps and forearms are a little different, with the 'detail' parts being the sides.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

You are a busy trooper Robbie! :)

Oh yes, lol. my TB is just about done, I didn't take many pics because i'm lazy. But once my bund/vest is done it's ready for approval. Then, it's on to this one. If I get the TK done for Celebration, that's fine... if not, I'll have something to do over the fall!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread. My cover strips are also off. The white is a 'cool' white with almost a bluish appearance under the right lighting.

Did your replacements match better?

Edited by Gep

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting back into this project tomorrow... curious about replacing the chest/back with RT-Mod - does anybody have a comparison of the parts so I can see if color matches close enough? I've been searching but not found anything.

I just replaced my AM chest and back with RT. I'll post a pic in a few for you to see. As for the cover strip color match. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine was different too but its not a huge difference from the two kits I have seen in person.

Robbie, I think that any time you use bits from a different kit there is the chance that they'll look a bit different, but most of the time it works out.

I wear a TM kit with an AP bucket. I can see the difference, but my Garrison mates tell me that I'm imagining things.

Btw, was a pleasure to spend some quality CVI time with you :)

Edited by davej

Robbie, I think that any time you use bits from a different kit there is the chance that they'll look a bit different, but most of the time it works out.

I wear a TM kit with an AP bucket. I can see the difference, but my Garrison mates tell me that I'm imagining things.

Btw, was a pleasure to spend some quality CVI time with you :)

Dave! Had a blast meeting you and the rest of your crazy group (well the ones crazy enough to come here for a month!) See you around real soon hopefully!

Worked on my helmet a bit this weekend... first we primed the interior with an off-white primer... we were out of white, and it didn't matter because this was getting painted over as well.

20120929_165305.jpg

After this dried, we sprayed the interior of both sides with truck bed liner

Painted the mic tips...

20120929_165249.jpg

Assembled front and back, just to see how things are lining up...

20120929_194442.jpg

20120929_194445.jpg

20120929_194455.jpg

I ended up trimming the frown out a lot more, was being cautious here...

Masked off and painted frown... waiting to hear back from Trooperbay about Dave M decals... not comfortable painting the traps/tears.

When I assembled the ears, my face shifted up a little, so I will be trimming the brow a little... i don't like the unibrow look - but i don't want to go as extreme as some of the TDs are...

Untitled.jpg

Edited by MxPxRobbie