Noah's RT-Mod ESB build

NastyNoah

Rich: To me the ESB troopers' chests always look higher up than the ANH stunts. Way less space between the bottom of the chest and the ab plate buttons.

I don't see it. On the suits which have the strapping intact, the positioning is the same.

Compare:

ScreenShot72398.jpg

esb-00019.jpg

The only thing you are seeing I think is the chest plate on some ESB suits flying up due to movement. It looks like some chest plates in ESB were only taped in place or floating free due to damage to the strapping at the front.

Either way you look at it, I think the height of the chest and back armour on Noah's is consistent with original suits and he has no need to change that. Both do seem to be floating free though. I would advise attaching them to the respective armour part below to replicate the original connections better.

Another thing you could do, Noah ...

1. Connect the forearm armour and the biceps armour with black elastic.

2. Detach any connection you may have between the shoulders and biceps (you seem to have the biceps suspended in a high position)

The original suits were connected this way. As a result you don't see any gap between the forearm and biceps as they are held in the same positione relative to each other.

The biceps armour either hands on a hook system (see Han ref photos) or drops down to nestle in the inside of your elbow. It shouldn't prevent you from bending your arm because the biceps should be too snug to slip over the elbow. I always leave this free-floating because I don't believe all TKs had the hook system.

This assembly covers all the black and gives you a more authentic TK look.

Some pictures ...

50mm elastic connecting biceps and forearm armour (replica):

CIMG0234.jpg

CIMG0236.jpg

Han's hooks (original):

ScreenShot72709.jpg

anhref-4981994.jpg

Overall stormtrooper arm assembly appearance (original, low biceps/no gaps!):

anhref-4355320.jpg

anhref-4337089.jpg

anhref-4328141.jpg

anhref-4289357.jpg

You (biceps held too high, gappy arms! :P ):

backsideo.jpg

frontxyo.jpg

Pictures of the original suits are the only visual reference you need! Don't copy other people's mistakes. :duim:

Edited by Rick330

Wise words Rich!

Just quickly looking at your suit I would advise you make your bicep touch the top of your forearm when your arms are by your side.

It looks as though you have over trimmed the inner curve, probably because your biceps are too high and cause them to pinch. Having the biceps and forearms touching reduces the gap at the inner elbow which reduces pinching. I see this over trimming a lot and it is not needed. Once you have the arms strapped correctly you will see what I mean.

@ Rich - I don't get what you mean by NO bicep-forearm gap?

This is the only pic of all the screen shots above in which there isn't a forearm gap?

Oh no it isn't! :lol:

The forearms are attached to the biceps at the front. When you lay the two parts out flat or have your arm straight (like the guy in your screen grab), there is no gap because the eleastic strap keeps the parts at the same relative distance (touching / flush / end-to-end). Any time you see any real amount of black it's when the elbow is bent and it's at the back where the elastic is not attached. Obviously you need this gap to open otherwise you wouldn't be able to bend your arms.

Other than that you can just only flashes of black at the front/inside the elbow where the forearm is scooped out. A genuine gap is impossible

Noah has his beiceps armour and forearm parts separated constantly because they are not attached to each other like they should be. And his biceps (seemingly) are attached to his biceps and are constantly too high.

This video should explain what I mean. My bicep and forearm armour parts are connected correctly like the originals ...

• 2 weeks later...

OK Rich I have taken your advise and TM (Pauls) I have adjusted the length from the shulder bells to the biceps and connected the forearms to them, just the way you have shown us in your video.

p2120290.jpg

p2120292.jpg

p2120289.jpg

I like the way this looks much better and thank you for pointing this out to me.

Now that looks much better :duim:

Your elastic might not be positioned in the right place though. It looks as though you have it on the seams of your parts rather than on the inner parts.

I prefer to have the elastic close to the seam on the bicep but about 1/2" away from the seam on the forearm so they are off set. This will allow the parts to close the gap more than usual and get that inner curve of the forearm right up so it tucks under your bicep when you bend your arm, reducing the chance of pinching.

Had some problems with my cod slipping and sliding around so tonight I removed the elastic and added some webbing. It has made a ton of difference, I may have to add the webbing to a few more spots.

p2150294.jpg

Keep the webbing on your cod piece by all means, but I wouldn't advise it anywhere else. Webbing doesn't allow the armour to move around when you do like elastic does.

You should use elastic everywhere really, but seeing how you have cut your cod (which I don't know why you did) webbing will stop that moving around too much and just let it pivot as you bend. Elastic allows you to move better and is less restrictive than webbing, and it won't pop your snaps if you over stretch.

• 2 years later...

Had some problems with my cod slipping and sliding around so tonight I removed the elastic and added some webbing. It has made a ton of difference, I may have to add the webbing to a few more spots.

p2150294.jpg

Noah, I know this is an old thread but I'm curious as is you used E6000 to hold your snaps on your armor and if so, did you use a clamp to press it against the armor ?  

Thanks,

Daniel