My first ever ATA build.....helmet first (picture heavy)

I have been staring at this box sitting on my workbench now for almost 2 weeks and finally got the nerve to crack it open to get started. I am on the waiting list for the remainder of the kit so I went ahead and had the bucket shipped over.

IMG_20120318_155139.jpg

Isn't it beautiful! I have never attempted anything like this before and was surprised how clean the pull was on the bucket. Very nice details on the ATA!

IMG_20120318_155641.jpg

IMG_20120318_155653.jpg

I will be using Pandatrooper's amazing build tutorial for this helmet. http://forum.whitear...showtopic=14806

Got my lines all drawn out ready for cutting.

IMG_20120318_163430.jpg

First cut....I was surprised how easily the lexan scissors cut thru the ABS. Like butter...

IMG_20120318_163535.jpg

Front complete!

Do I still need to bring in the bottom a bit more or am I good for now?

IMG_20120318_164400.jpg

Starting on the back piece in the next day or so and will post progress. I am most concerned about getting it right on the back side.

This is an ATA armor set - from the looks of it I am guessing an ABS set of ATA. Terrell is awesome and (at least for people who are new to armor building) sends 2 sets of ears because of how difficult they can be to trim.

Corey,

Your cut on the bottom looks good to me, especially since about a centimeter of that will be covered by the S trim when you put it in.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time to work on this today and had a question about the teeth. Am I ok like it is below or do I still need to remove some material. This section had me worried the most so I didn't go too deep. Thanks for any hints you can provide.

teeth_right.jpg

teeth_left.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the ears are different! there are left and right ones make sure you put them on the right sides

Awesome advice! I had no idea so I messed them up and was going crazy cause the gaps between the ears and the helmet were HUGE! Someone in my garrison took one quick look and was like HELLOOOOO!! Wrong ears on the wrong sides!!! Hahaha