Return Edge Question - ESB Build

I'm doing the ATA, ABS kit & going for centurion, but I have questions regarding return edge: where to & not to do

I noticed in the req's that return edge to the "inside" the front of the forarms is not allowed. I'm just curious what that means.

What is "inside"? I've seen the threads on return edging, and I know it's a must on some of the listed parts for centurion status, I think it makes the armor look better, giving it a great finished look. :) Can I put a return edge on any of the parts (ie: thighs, bicepts, cod, butt..you get the idea!)

Can anyone tell me which parts of the armor should & should not be return edged, especially since I'm trying for centurion?

I've had the FX kit for last 6 yrs, and am finally upping my game! I want to look & be legit. I've seen alot of support on these boards, so I'm not afraid to ask questions, even if I sound stupid! - and believe me...more will come! :unsure:

All for the Empire!

Darren

Edited by DAZZ

People will tell you differently but I think the return edge is open to artistic license and a comfort thing. If you look at the screen used suits some have return edges in parts others don't. Some have the back top of the calves cut away, some don't. That can be said of the arms too.

I think the main large torso parts all had an edge to them but it really depends how big your arms and legs are as to what trimming or edge you have.

That's my opinion.

Unless it specifically states "no return edge" then you can leave one. It should be only 1/8-1/4in wide though. Inside means towards your body and the forarms should have no return edge. Like sskunky said you will find that in your initial build that you leave what looks good but then you have to trim due to it biting. Good luck and always post pics if you are not sure.

Mark,

I'm 5'9", 170lb - size 9 foot, so that tells you that my forearms are the same size as my foot (wierd anatomical trivial fact!)

I will have to trim a little on the forearms & thighs (maybe bicepts & shins). But, then again, I trimmed a ton off of the FX kit, as it was huge on me to begin with, and that build took over 100 hrs. :shok:

I'm very meticulous, so I want to take the time to do it right, including hitting all major details - including return edge.

As far as I can see, most do the return edge on the chest,back & kidney plates, thighs, and some on shoulders.

I don't want to get too crazy with the heat sealing iron, as I have a tendency to run with things :P , so any & all tips are GREATLY appreciated!

Darren

Unless it specifically states "no return edge" then you can leave one. It should be only 1/8-1/4in wide though. Inside means towards your body and the forarms should have no return edge. Like sskunky said you will find that in your initial build that you leave what looks good but then you have to trim due to it biting. Good luck and always post pics if you are not sure.

Got it! - the tops of the forearms don't need it anyway, so I was wondering about that term "inside". Thanks for clearing that up.

Can I round the corners of the ends (bottom)? Over time, on my other suit, it ended up wearing on my gloves, and since I'm going satin this time, I want to protect!

if you closely look at the arms on screenshots you will see no returns on the biceps or forearms where they touch the inside of the arm.

but at the elbow there is a 1/4" or larger return on the top of the bicep near the shoulder. and the forearm has a return at the end of the elbow

on the outside.

the thighs have return edges 1/4" at the tops and bottoms.

shins have no return at the ankle with 1/4" return at the top.

torso sections:

chest has returns at the outside of the shoulder, bottom edge of chest has a very large return.

abdomen plate has large return at the top.

kidney has large return at top.

back plate has large returns on sides, and at top and bottoms. (makes it look thicker)

every single part on a trooper suit has returns to make the armor look thicker except where it meets a joint.

inside of elbows and wrists all have the return removed.

"chest has returns at the outside of the shoulder, bottom edge of chest has a very large return.

abdomen plate has large return at the top.

kidney has large return at top.

back plate has large returns on sides, and at top and bottoms. (makes it look thicker)"

Hey Vern,

Any idea of how thick those "large" returns are? 1/4 - 3/8"?

These are great tips,

Thanks!

Thanks, you guys!

All advice is greatly appreciated! And I had a different suspension system in my FX kit, but I'm going to try for a harness designed to snap the armor in place.

...still working on the helmet right now. ;)

Again,

Thanks! (I'm sure you'll see more interests from me!)

• 2 months later...

if you closely look at the arms on screenshots you will see no returns on the biceps or forearms where they touch the inside of the arm.

but at the elbow there is a 1/4" or larger return on the top of the bicep near the shoulder. and the forearm has a return at the end of the elbow

on the outside.

I'd like to clarify this please-- are you saying the bicep has a return edge both at the elbow and at the top near the shoulder on the outside, but no return edge at the top or bottom on the inside?

a very small amount of what we used to call "lines of illusion" is on the biceps but very little.

tG24pQC.jpg

about 3/8" on the top back, and front sides. with the front base flush and the bottom with about 1/16" curve.