My AM Armor is here!

Look what came today!!!! There are two sets of AM armor because my brother wanted to join with me after hearing my excitement about wanting to join the 501st.

post-15876-0-04968600-1328555319_thumb.jpg

Nicley packed!!!

post-15876-0-26475200-1328555369_thumb.jpg

Where to begin????

post-15876-0-07415100-1328555423_thumb.jpg

Awesome job Clinton on the armor, the communication and the speedy delivery.

Any build advice is needed and accepted, this is my first build. :unsure:

Yeah, I have posted an invite to Ohio Garrison members and to anyone else who would like to participate in armor building party. I think I am making chilli for the gathering. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you posted on the build.

Good luck mate! I also have an AM kit, it's pretty awesome, if not the most accurate.

If you start with the biceps, just keep in mind that the overlap doesn't work properly. I'd advise cutting off the overlap and butt-joining with covers strips.

With the forearms, leave about 8mm of the overlap to join with. I cut off all of the overlap on the outer piece and it made my life hell trying to make them glue together and look normal. Hell, they still don't haha. Lesson learned though. :P

With the thighs and shins, measure about 13mm on each of the raised edges and cut off the rest. This way a 25mm cover strip will cover the butt join nicely.

Just things I think you should know. :) Good luck with the build mate, and ask questions if you need to! :)

When doing the butt joint, I am not clear. I have read and heard that I should trim the lip/overlap down to 8mm. I have 18" biceps which may cause issues if I trim off too much. Does everyone no matter their size do the 8mm thing? Does anyone have a thread or another link regarding putting together a butt joint for armor. (please hold all jokes) lol

Edited by PatrickW1074

There are several threads detailing the butt join process for AM. Here is probably the definitive thread on AM armor assembly - and it's pinned right at the top of the ANH Build Threads subforum:

----------

Lots of AM owners here (myself included) have done the butt join method as opposed to the overlap method, I found that the armor goes together easier and it just plain looks better. While ideally you'll use the measurements in Pandatrooper's thread, ultimately you have to do what works best for your body. For instance, my biceps measure 17.5 inches (you got me beat by 1/2 inch - I'll need to hit the gym harder) so instead of using 15mm cover strips I sized my forearms and biceps to allow for 20mm cover strips. The larger strips work better and look more proportional on my larger limbs.

Best rule to follow: measure twice (at least), cut once. To that I would add go slow, taking off a bit at a time until you get down to the size that works best for you. You can always take off plastic, but once it's off - it's off.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 2 weeks later...