Vario pliers

Guest TKrat

Guest Gareth Blaken

I've found some Vario pliers but before I buy them (they're not cheap!) can you use them on all snaps? I'm building a TK and I just want a hassle free method of making the snap plates. Mine are heavy duty 15mm snaps

Cheap or not you should get the Vario pliers because a failed snap is the last thing you want to worry about when working on your strapping system. They're so convenient that I use them for other works like piercing holes in cards, etc.

Are you using dritz snaps? If not... I suggest skipping the vario pliers. In general they suck (I bent mine from overuse) and I'm pretty sure they're unusable with anything but dritz. At least they're unusable with the three other types of size 24 snaps I had laying around. The other snaps are not the same shape as the dritz and they don't quite squish enough. Many times I ended up using the vario pliers and then setting the snap for reals with a snap setting tool and anvil.

Ā 

No matter what brand you're using I highly suggest the tandy snap setting tool (on sale for $2.94 right now) and anvil ($1.99!) or even the sucky tool that comes with the dritz snaps.... just pound the crap out of it when you use it.

Ā 

Check out my build thread for my personal snap related whining.... or Jorran's snap thread of woe.

Ā 

-DarthAloha of the First Imperial Snap Detachment

(is it lame I just pretty much copied and pasted this from another post of mine?)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I ordered some vario pliers...then realised I could make the snaps work with the setting tool that came with the snaps (originally it wouldn't work for me) so now I'll have some pliers that I probably won't use much at all. :P

They'll be good to have, but snaps are just as easily set with a setting tool. Not sure about how many types of snaps they can be used on though, sorry.

I've been using one of these for years and never had any problems.

---------

Ā 

*edit* I forgot to mention your vario pliers will be no good for the snaps on your ab plate that you connect your belt to. They are only good for snaps close to the edge of your armour or making snap plates.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've also had to replace my vario pliers because I bent (and actually broke) them from overuse and just squeezing too hard. Still, I really like the precise nature of them - for me the result was a lot fewer ruined snaps because I apparently can't hammer in a straight line. :P

Ā 

Nowadays, I use them in conjunction with the anvil/setter tool. I get the snap started and in place with the pliers, then I really hammer it down with the anvil and setter. Best of both worlds.

On 1/17/2012 at 5:08 PM, troopermaster said:

I've been using one of these for years and never had any problems.

---------

Ā 

*edit* I forgot to mention your vario pliers will be no good for the snaps on your ab plate that you connect your belt to. They are only good for snaps close to the edge of your armour or making snap plates.

Ā 

This would be great for those 'hard to reach' snappers! Do the work on the Prym 15mm camping bad boys?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed