shimming between kidney and butt plate?

I'm currently in the middle of my ATA build and having a hard time closing the gap between my back plate and kidney plate. I'm 6'2" and I know that ATA can be made to fit me. But the gap is about 3 inches. If I were to place a shim where my belt would hide it, the kidney plate when closed up against the abdominal plate the top of the kidney plate now does not line up with the abdominal plate. The kidney plate now is taller. Can't really shim the abdominal plate, belt won't hide that. Will this be a major issue if you make it look good? Otherwise at wits end on how to close the gap.

The back plate is lowered as far as it will go before it starts to look out of place. I do have a longer torso. Could try shimming the abdominal plate, but currently it sits fine. Would be hard to shim that abdominal plate.

Not really. Just cut where the joining line is and add your shim. You could rivet the shim in place or glue it, and it will all be behind your ammo belt. That is assuming you want to make the ab plate meet up with your extended kidney plate.

Doing one without the other will make the armour off balance in my opinion.

Being taller, you may have to lower the back piece a bit. I am 6' 2" also. Just keep adjusting to find the right look. Here's what mine looks like. The split between the kidney and butt plate, you can cheat alittle bit there with a small gap. Hope this helps

1B22Lsc.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. With the cheating with the three back sections how do you compensate with your abdominal plate so that the kidney plate and abdominal plate line up?

Well you are going to raise the chest piece just a bit higher, so everything works out. Assemble the upper armor so it fit's you before gluing the shoulder bridges, that way you will have a better idea of their placement. here are a few pic's

WXayazh.jpg

C9DvA3k.jpg

skdaxG7.jpg

14Bijkq.jpg