Speakers...in the helmet or voice amp?

OK, I am rolling over dseveral different decisions about my SC helmet, one of which is what is the best way to do voice amplification TK-4950 told me he uses mini speakers in the tusks an a belt-supported amp box. I am wondering if the voice box with mics just as good or comparitable to a voice box alone. "6 of one/half-dozen of the other"?

Just bought two micro fans, 9-volt connectors and soft=push switches for the air circulation.

Also, I have heard that painting the bucket black inside can make all parts blend in a little better, plus it mattes the inside in case you're photographed that the flash won't bounce of ther bck of thr helmet and allow your eyes to show through the lens.

Thoughts?...Opinions? Flung, Rotten vegetables? :P

I had my amp/speakers mounted behind my chestplate..I HATED it..it was LOUD, but the wire running out of my helmet drove ne nuts..I now use arreator speakers with the entire set up contained in my bucket and I love it!..and I painted the inside of my bucket black..cause it looks cool!

Good point, helmet speakers are easy to deal with but you will get more volume out of the chest set up. Aearator speakers always blow minds though, so they are my preference of the 2 in most events. Sometimes people need more volume for bigger events. I actually do both, I use the aerator set up and then have the chest box mounted at all times and switch to that if I need more volume while I am trooping. To each his own, just my .02.

I had my amp/speakers mounted behind my chestplate..I HATED it..it was LOUD, but the wire running out of my helmet drove ne nuts..I now use arreator speakers with the entire set up contained in my bucket and I love it!..and I painted the inside of my bucket black..cause it looks cool!

It also depends on the speaker. I've seen some smaller speakers put out a heck of a sound. I'm currently looking into the electronics set-up for my bucket, and it looks as if I will be ordering a set with special micro-blasters... a bit of a play on some of the military speaker-phone systems.

Not to mention, it just sounds cool when someone talks to you and you hear their voice comming from their head.

It also depends on the speaker. I've seen some smaller speakers put out a heck of a sound. I'm currently looking into the electronics set-up for my bucket, and it looks as if I will be ordering a set with special micro-blasters... a bit of a play on some of the military speaker-phone systems.

Not to mention, it just sounds cool when someone talks to you and you hear their voice comming from their head.

pretty sure

bro jason, how about mobile phone(or PDA)'s speaker in your thought. I think small enough(almost 10mmX5mm), the volume is really big~

Let us know what kind of speakers they are, I would to upgrade my helmet to micros that can handle volume!

Keep an out for SuperTrooper's speaker runs he does every so often. Unlike other aerator speaker sellers claim, these fit perfectly in Hovi Mix tips and I've gotten a good amount of volume out of them using a gutted $12 Radio Shack amp and a $30 powered mic. Once I add some foam to cut down on feedback, I'll be able to raise it even louder.

Keep an out for SuperTrooper's speaker runs he does every so often. Unlike other aerator speaker sellers claim, these fit perfectly in Hovi Mix tips and I've gotten a good amount of volume out of them using a gutted $12 Radio Shack amp and a $30 powered mic. Once I add some foam to cut down on feedback, I'll be able to raise it even louder.

Where does the foam go?

Hey Carlos,

When you gutted the RS amp, did you connect your aerator speakers to the wires that were connected to the amp speaker? I kinda did the same thing but I connected them up using mini plugs and plugged it into the jack on the side of the amp board. I get almost no sound but I do get sound. All I can think of is that the jack is made for earphones and has a lower output than the direct wires.

What do you think?

Help! :blink:

I prefer having everything self-contained in the helmet, but others prefer to have more room for ventilation. There is no one best answer.

Though IMHO the effect is better when they come from the helmet than in the chest or a hip-mounted box.

Hey Carlos,

When you gutted the RS amp, did you connect your aerator speakers to the wires that were connected to the amp speaker? I kinda did the same thing but I connected them up using mini plugs and plugged it into the jack on the side of the amp board. I get almost no sound but I do get sound. All I can think of is that the jack is made for earphones and has a lower output than the direct wires.

What do you think?

Help! :blink:

I did mine the same way you did: put the speaker wires to a mono mini plug. Are you using a powered mic? It's required with that amp.

..don't count on that..I have the same set up and adding foam behind the speakers did NOTHING to increase volume or reduce feedback....

I did mine the same way you did: put the speaker wires to a mono mini plug. Are you using a powered mic? It's required with that amp.

I will try that. Everything was good until I did the mods. I will try to hook the amp speaker wires to a different jack and not use the one on the board. As I said I can hear voice and sound out of the speakers but I have to hold them up to my ear and then its barely audible.

..don't count on that..I have the same set up and adding foam behind the speakers did NOTHING to increase volume or reduce feedback....

Really? That sucks. It's pretty loud as it is, I'd just like to get a little more volume out of it for noisey cons and such. I'll give it a try anyway... Nothing ventured, nothint gained.

I will try that. Everything was good until I did the mods. I will try to hook the amp speaker wires to a different jack and not use the one on the board. As I said I can hear voice and sound out of the speakers but I have to hold them up to my ear and then its barely audible.

Hmm, pretty odd. Can you get a pic of the set up/wiring?

Hmm, pretty odd. Can you get a pic of the set up/wiring?

Well that was it. There are two mini jacks on the RS amp board. One is the input jack and one is for earphones. Because of this it puts out far less volume that the speaker itself. Makes sense as they dont want to blow peoples eardrums out, I guess. ;)

I soldered a seperate jack directly to the wires that were attached to the speaker and connected everything up. I then promptly blew my eardrums out...oops...next time I will check the volume first... :blink:

:salute:

Not sure I follow, but glad you got it working.

I meant to say that I connected a seperate mini jack to the wires that were attached directly to the original speaker on the amp. Maybe I should post a pic of my setup. Might help someone else that way. :)