how to make foam liner turn yellow under 10 minutes

TKCaleb

edit: DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

I am not sure if this has been covered before, or if anyone else has discovered this trick, but I have transformed some upholstery foam from a green to a brown yellow/gold under 10 minutes simply by soaking the material in bleach.

6rnaaeZ.jpg

kSW9fsh.jpg

ui5hUbV.jpg

rxOQSk7.jpg

This strip of foam was soaked in a sink filled with 100 percent bleach for 3 minutes, I then wrenched the bleach out of the foam while running under warm water. Afterword, I let the foam soak in hot water for 5 minutes to neutralize the bleach.

I'd be wanting all the bleach out.

just imagine your face/hair when you bleach your head inside

a hot and sweaty bucket!

my lid fills up with water when I wear mine! :peace:

Very good, I like the fact that it looks old too. Not just new yellow. :duim:

Thanks. I agree, it looks much more natural and aged. The color looks very authentic in reality, very dirty and old looking. Pictures just don't do it justice.

I'd be wanting all the bleach out.

just imagine your face/hair when you bleach your head inside

a hot and sweaty bucket!

my lid fills up with water when I wear mine! :peace:

Yes! If you or anyone else tries this technique out, make sure the foam soaks in warm to hot water for 5 to 10 minutes. Id even add some soap to the water just to make sure all the bleach has been removed.

Edited by TKCaleb

I would not use Bleach (very toxic when mixed with plastic and foam)... I used Tea and get the old look with the foam..

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

i agree,, not only will bleach break down the foam (it will literally fall apart in a fraction of the time) it could produce toxic fumes within the helmet that could be harmful :unsure: .

while this is a great idea it could be VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!! there are much safer alternatives such as tea or food coloring or even even textile paints,,, that will have the same results and not affect the materials shelf life and produce toxic fumes!!!

JUST SAY NO TO BLEACH!!!!!!

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

also Styrofoam and bleach (or any chemical solvent) combined produce a homebrew form of napalm!!!

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Wow, that must explain why I got so high. :lol:

All joking aside, I am not trying to kill anyone, just sharing something I discovered.

As for fumes, like anything that emits toxins, I did this in a well ventilated garage with the doors wide open to allow maximum airflow. I encourage anyone who attempts this to cut the bleach with an equal amount or more of water to minimize the odor.

As for the foam, it was fully submerged for close to 3 minutes until I removed it and soaked in in hot water. It was not destroyed. I agree that if it had been submerged for over 10+ minutes, the foam would be in very bad shape.

If the foam is cleaned and rinsed thoroughly, there should be no lingering odor inside the helmet. ;)

Oder is not an issue, there is no guarantee that toxic fumes wont be present within the helmet even long after the bleach has evaporated. i will strongly advise you to remove the foam and use a safe method of yellowing. just like carbon monoxide, there may be no noticeable smell but the fumes can be deadly!

i am locking this thread as it is not worth risking ones health for the sake of screen accuracy. no furthur discussin will be permitted

like i stated before, it is a innovative idea, and it does work as you have shown. but that does not make the method safe... ammonia is sometimes used as a preservative in foam and when combined with bleach could produce a harmful gas! http://www.urbandict...m=mustard%20gas

not only does it cause foam to become extremely flammable it can also produce chlorine vapor, it is the basic components of mustard gas!!!