Need help deciding on my armor......It's getting confusing....

Hi all!

I thought I had this all figured out! I was set to get a AM kit then after reading a bunch realized AM is more for the bigger troops. The first plan was for a AP helmet with a "lite" AM kit. It was the most affordable option for me for what seems like 2nd tier armor (correct me if I'm wrong). Then I was going to just go with the "full" AM kit with helmet to save a bit more money but then realized the size issues. Now, instead of going back to the first AM armor/AP helmet idea, I'm considering switching altogether to an untrimmed AP kit with helmet. The cost difference between the AM armor/AP helmet combo and just going for the AP kit instead isn't much, so what do you guys suggest?

I don't think I want a ABS ATA kit, although I might be swayed. I really want quality but I'm not in the market for the top level stuff just yet. I'm more worried about Legion admittance than absolute ANH stunt accuracy. (although that's the style I'm going for, no ESB/ROTJ for me, I'm old-school!)

My measurements are:

5'9"

190 lbs

42" chest

13" bicep

21" thigh

17" calf

Any help in finding the right armor for my size is GREATLY appreciated...

you will just barely fit into AP ATA styles of armor.

any of the SA armors like AP ATA TM are all sized for about 24" thighs and 19" calves

on your AB and kidney plates you'll most likely need a shim.

if you have a 38"-40" waist you're gonna look like me in armor.

take a look at my shimmed AP armor photos in my signature.

you'll have to shorten the top of the AB plate, raise the chest and cut out the neck a little more for size and comfort,

its all in how you assemble the chest and AB to make it look more proportioned for your size.

then you'd want to shorten the thigh tops just a little, and then take about 1" off the bottom of the shins.

you would not go wrong with an ATA abs kit, or the full AP kit. they both can be made to fit you.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I tend to agree with both Vern and Mathias. It sounds like you are at the very top end of the lineage armor size range (although in reality, with enough shimming any armor can be made to fit any body), and that ATA ABS (like AP) has a solid reputation for both quality and customer service. Both also require trimming, so it seems that the work in getting either kit ready to wear is about the same.

In the end, if you have narrowed your options to those two then I suggest looking at photos of several different examples of assembled kits and deciding which look you like best. There are subtle differences between the two that, with time and practice, you will learn to identify. Better still would be to find someone in your local garrison who owns the kits in question, pay them a visit, and have a look up close.

U could always ask a fellow troopers that have both AP and AM to let them see there armor so u can get an idea of the size.....