First cut, then throw up, then measure, right?

Thansk, Corey! You're right, can't rush it. Somehow I ended up with about half the snaps I need... seems like I'm hammering snap plates together and snaps into stretchy all night long (with a 5yo sleeping in the next room)...

I'm going to tackle belt tonight, provided I don't have to hammer anything...

End of year project: The Bucket!

I followed these directions almost to the letter, and it has been turning out awesome.

-------

The main exception is that I did not use the dremel tool on the face. I used the hobby knife (Exacto) exclusively and it worked excellently for both eyes and teeth. Amazingly I did the whole thing without a scratch last night. Then this morning I used the exacto on the ear pieces and got two major cuts within 10 minutes. I think I need stitches in one of them!

----------

One thing I discovered, to my dismay, is that although I placed my brow ridge higher than the top of the eyes, I was not paying enough attention to that detail when fitting my ear pieces. After I screwed in the ear pieces I found that my brow had dropped all the way to the top of the eyes. I personally don’t like this furrowed look, but I’m not sure I can do anything about it now. I might try fiddling with it all later, but for now this will do.

--------

I had painted my ear pieces with the gray base before assembling, just because I happened to have the gray out for the ab buttons. Everything else I waited until after assembly and polishing.

-------

I am considering slits in the back “vents†as suggested by another trooper. For now I will just finish them with black stripes and add my tube stripes as decals. I can update later. Lastly, the innards... and voila!

I will say this: getting this thing on and off is entirely non-functional. I can see why the guys call it “a bucket†because, well, it’s essentially just a bucket on your head. It would be groovy to make some kind of hinge for the front or back to open it a bit. As it is, I have to turn it 90-degrees to get it on, and then twist it into place once my head is in it. I’m wondering if it’s possible to enlarge the back bottom or something for a little more space.

I think I royally screwed up my belt, but cest la vie at this point. I can make it work with velcro or something for now. I'll figure it out later.

This is something that happens when your rivet tool is faulty. I had to get creative to get it out without destroying my poor plastic. At one point I was thinking of marching straight to Lowes and chewing them out about their faulty tool... while it was still attached to the thigh piece.

----------

Hopefully I can finish the helmet tomorrow (and a couple additional snaps and adjustments) and start the new year by submitting! Woot!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

------

I do like my hand painting skills if I do say so. (If this image isn't big, just click to see bigger)

Tube stripes are decals but I might paint those some day as well. I used to not like the painted look but now I kind of prefer it!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Um Igrid? I think by mistake you posted a photo of a helmet with decals... instead of one hand painted ;)

Aloha,

-Eric

On 1/2/2012 at 9:39 AM, LadyInWhite said:

--------

I do like my hand painting skills if I do say so. (If this image isn't big, just click to see bigger)

Tube stripes are decals but I might paint those some day as well. I used to not like the painted look but now I kind of prefer it!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Is this black rubber thing supposed to go around like this, or ? If so, do people generally glue it on, or does it stay on its own, or ?

:D

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

OK BOYS & GIRLS...

This is my first time trying on EVERYTHING together. And boy do I have a lot of adjusting to do! So don't laugh, esp. at how nice and fat these photos make me look, k? :) I'm just wearing tights and a t-shirt, no neck seal or anything proper...

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcomed. I can list most of the things I immediately need to adjust, but certainly if you see anything, chime in!

---------

Cod piece not hanging right.

Belt too big! I'm not as fat as I thought! Needs to be refitted.

I think the drop boxes might be too forward?

Thighs won't stay up, even with the nifty garter I made... darn giant hockey skating legs!

Shoulder bells too far back.

Forearms too long - easy to trim bottom.

Hand plates too big.

Shoulder straps seem too far forward?

---------

This angle makes my legs look short...

Butt plate too high.

O2 might be slightly wrong, turned too high?

Holster not far enough back? Or is that okay? It might move when I adjust belt length.

Too much overlap of back plate onto kidney?

Helmet fell forward (though I could see!)

Haven't painted rivets yet...

--------

GIRL POSE!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

Hey Ingrid!

Those are good pictures! Your build turned out very nice. :) Did you take a break after your build? Geez, I had to!!!

Did you get the cod piece sorted out? I had trouble with mine. I just try to get all the pieces as snug as they'll go,

and then the belt helps to hold things in place. I've got velcro and straps everywhere. I'm still making little adjustments

here and there. :) Update us with new pic, when you have time. You do need a break after all the time and money

and cursing you put into a build.