Helmet detail reference

Hi!

I've been trying to find a visual reference for the Stormtrooper helmet details, that describes what the different parts are meant to be in the movies.

So far, the only thing I've seen are the rectangular grey panels at the top back of the helmet, that are termed "Heat Exchange panels" or something like that, in the Star Wars visual dictionary (that I don't have, btw...just saw a small pic in a post here).

But what about everything else on the helmet? I know that many folks here use the aerators as small loudspeakers for the voice effects and amp, but what are they supposed to be in the movies? The "grin", the blue stripes on the side-tubes, the tear-drops, the aerator-tusks and the toothy "mouth" between them and everything else, anybody know what function they are meant to have in the movies?

Any answers will be appreciated!

As far as I know, they are supposed to be anything but "decoration". The visual dictionary uses "artistic license" to come up with their own interpretaion to make Stormtroopers much cooler.

I do know that when Luke Skywalker steals TK-421's armor and walks out of the Millenium Falcon, he taps on his helmet near his ear piece and the officer understands it as being a bad commlink (I forget the exact words he uses). Other than that, nothing else has an explanation.

Yeah, pretty much everything is up to whatever you feel it should be. It's all fantasy - who's to say that your explanation isn't better than what some hack writer for LFL comes up with?

Yup, that's the Star Wars Visual Dictionary picture I saw earlier.

I sure wish there was a picture covering the front of the helmet as well. That's where most of the details are.

It would be nice to hear the original thoughts on the different parts of the helmet. I mean, one can quickly come to the conclusion that the aerator-tusks are associated with breathing/atmospheric filtering, as the TIE-fighter pilot helmet breathing apparatus is terminated into these two receptacles, but what about the rest?

Oh well, I dunno.... :huh:

My own interpretation doesn't always jibe with the official party line, so take what I say with a couple solar masses of salt. ;)

The black ribbed "chin" part for me is the p/a speaker grille. The tusks and the tube they're attached to are internal atmosphere systems, the tusks being attach points for air lines -- see the pilots and the vac-trooper to see what I mean. The blue tube stripes and black ear markings are some sort of personal notation*. The grey ear details are covers for the external audio input -- binaural hearing is important for situational awareness**. The grey traps and tears are tracking/targetting sensor covers***. And the "frown" is ventilation and outide atmosphere inlet (when safe), to reduce load on carried air supply -- the grey parts of the frown being sensors that close the vents when atmospheric conditions are unsafe.

*Again personal interpretation, I view the ear marks as rank and the tube stripes counting combat drops. Between them, it establishes seniority -- that is, no need to come up with higher and higher levels of Sergenat, as it's clear the Sergeant with the most drops is the Old Man of the Company.

**Filtered input feeds into ear plugs for the trooper -- the right one also containing the comlink (hence Luke tapping that side).

***In EU material, Mandalorian helmets maintain 360° area coverage for the wearer. Makes sense that something at leat a little bit like that would be at work with the troopers.

At least that's my take. And not going into internal systems, or my rationalization for the different lenses...

--Jonah

I still say the tube stripes are part of the ventilation system. If the grill is possibly the intake then possibly the tube stripes being the output vents.

It seems to me that if the tube stripes were some sort of designation like combat drops, wouldn't there be troopers everywhere with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or even 30 stripes. Other than Mr. no-stripes(which I call just a movie flub) it looks to me that all troopers have 12 stripes.

Just my opinion--not trying to start an argument. Everyone has the right to think what they want.

I think the tube stripes are air intake filter covers. I also think that what we call the thermal detonator (or alternatively 02 [oxygen] cylinder actually contains rations. As we all know it's easy for this thing to be taken off you or fall off, sandy's don't have them (presumably this kind of thing is in their pack). I mean, there are no pockets in this uniform at all. Where do you put personal items or fruity oatey bars?