The (Blu-Ray) Saga Continues...

ZeroRoom

For those of you who don't often visit the RPF there's a great but lengthy (set aside some time) debate raging about the desecration... erm altering... of the OT for the Blu-Ray releases.

http://www.therpf.com/f47/official-boycott-star-wars-bluray-thread-125511/

Definitely worth a read no matter what side of the fence you're on.

Love or hate the blu-ray release, that thread was a train wreck. I stopped reading after page 3. :duimomlaag:

I rarely hit up the RPF, and when I do it's because I'm looking for a specific piece of information (e.g. the origins of the RSProps/SiMan suit) - then I get the hell out. That thread served as another reminder of why I do so, and what I hope the FISD will never become.

The RPF is the Jerry Springer of prop forums to be sure...

Its the level of controversy that this has stirred up that fascinates me - especially the core argument as to how much control or responsibility an artist has for their work after it has been released into the public domain. TK-4702 put a link up here somewhere to a great article about the changes which referenced some of Marcel Duchamps theories about the artist/ viewer relationship and where the lines for 'contributing' to the work lie. As an artist this issue has intrigued me for a long time.

It's not the Internet scream fest that fascinates me - it's why it's happening, and how people feel so passionately about this artist / viewer relationship and who has ownership over the work.

Picasso was actually arrested once for going in to an art gallery and making changes to one of his paintings. That's a great point where grey becomes so much more interesting than black or white...

I'm FIRMLY in the camp of "F you, Lucas and your constant alterations!"

I have not and I WILL NOT buy the blu ray release. I own the UNALTERED DVD release and that's all I'll ever own unless GL decides to release an unaltered blu ray.

Prequels all suck and now he's making the original trilogy start to suck. He absolutely RUINED ROTJ with Vader saying "Noooo..Nooooooooo!" There was absolutely NO NEED to add that dialogue it turned a great scene into a stupid scene.

I have not and I WILL NOT buy the blu ray release. I own the UNALTERED DVD release and that's all I'll ever own unless GL decides to release an unaltered blu ray.

Prequels all suck and now he's making the original trilogy start to suck. He absolutely RUINED ROTJ with Vader saying "Noooo..Nooooooooo!" There was absolutely NO NEED to add that dialogue it turned a great scene into a stupid scene.

WOO HOOO

I am in Denial and the anger part but really never see me going past that :)

Edited by TK-2126_MD

Unaltered DVD ??????????? You have a DVD ccopy of the original theatrical release ? .. If it hads the words "a hew hope " on the title scroll , you dont .

Unaltered DVD ??????????? You have a DVD ccopy of the original theatrical release ? .. If it hads the words "a hew hope " on the title scroll , you dont .

Hmm I'll have to check. It definately doesn't have greedo shooting first or a badly rendered Jabba the hutt or any updated FX. I believe it was an extra DVD that came with the first special edition version and it a direct rip of the laserdisc version.

It might not be 100% exactly like the 1977 cinema release, but it's the best you'll get.

FWIW, Star Wars aside I think Blu-Ray is a scam anyway. Solid media is dead and this is the industries desperate attempt to get us to repurchase our movie collections all over again before streaming and downloads take over and we can pay for them yet another time.

So far I've owned Star Wars on VHS. SE VHS, DVD release and DVD box set release believe it or not that includes TPM on VHS at one point. That means at least four of the movies I've bought 4 times. I've now ripped the DVd's to my HTPC set up and there's no way I'm buying another copy and definitely not on solid media. DVD res is plenty good by me, 1020p just isn't that important to me especially when it comes to Star Wars - even the DVD seemed too 'crisp' for me as part of the appeal of star wars has always been that low def 70's look :D