9v battery problem

Hi guys !!

Here's my problem : I just connected a çv battery (without any encloser but just the connector) to an fan. It worked well but in less than 2 minutes, the battery went to high temperature...

Do you have any solution for this problem ? may I use an encloser ?

Thanks !

If the battery is getting hot really fast, it means you have a short somewhere. (IE, there is a connection happening between the negative and positive terminals before it runs it's (circuit) path through the fan wires.

You don't need an enclosure unless you want one, or suspect metal would get into the battery (again causing a short) in which case, you can do it.

But first, lets find the short circuit.

How are you connecting the fans to the battery?

Something in the switch might of broken, or some wires might be touching where you have the wires taped up at the molex connector.... and come to think of it, I think I know what the problem is, I believe the switch should be connected to one side of the wire. You have the switch connected to the positive and negative. It should be on either the positive OR negative ( like how you have it on just the positive in the diagram). Also the color you did the diagram, make sure you used the red and black wires on the fan, the yellow isn't power.

Edit: Now that I think of it even more, it is the way you have your switch set up. A switch carries the current through to allow electrons to pass. You have a current going through the switch AND the fan, which as trooper234 said is a short.

Edited by kevster

Ahhhh indeed.... good catch. I stared at that image for some time and didn't catch that.... I am embarrassed for anyone to know just how much of my job involves working with electronics :D

Aloha,

-Eric

Something in the switch might of broken, or some wires might be touching where you have the wires taped up at the molex connector.... and come to think of it, I think I know what the problem is, I believe the switch should be connected to one side of the wire. You have the switch connected to the positive and negative. It should be on either the positive OR negative ( like how you have it on just the positive in the diagram). Also the color you did the diagram, make sure you used the red and black wires on the fan, the yellow isn't power.

Edit: Now that I think of it even more, it is the way you have your switch set up. A switch carries the current through to allow electrons to pass. You have a current going through the switch AND the fan, which as trooper234 said is a short.

join both live wires (red) directly to each other and run only the earth wires(black) through the switch - never run a current through a metal switch, this should solve the problem.

The yellow wire on the fan is for a thermal cut out if used on a cpu so if you dont plan to use it in a pc again cut it off

• 2 months later...

The answer is RC Car batteries 9.6v (2) from Radio Shack. Wire them to give you around 20v when they are fully charged. The 12v fans can handle the additional voltage. Gives you 6-8 hours of run time and the best part they can be recharged hundreds of times. I always hated feeding the 9v monster