The Modded Hasbro Toy Blater

Well my white armor brothers, I have a question to ask all of you...Our elite standards suggest that your armor and equipment has the same "look" as if you walked out of the film, But I ask you, If we painstakingly make our armor as close to screen accurate as possible, shouldn't the blaster also be as screen accurate as possible too? :unsure: Just a thought

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I think if you're going to nix the hasbro conversion then the FX helmet should go first.

Ā 

it does raise a couple of questions though. What's the next step up from a converted hasbro? Sci-Fire, Galactic Industries, MR, real demiled smg? Doesn't the cheapest of those cost more than $250? Also, although in every side by side of a HF and a Hasbro that I've seen it's obvious which is which, I'm also impressed by how similar the two are. I guess taking the modded hasbro out would also make cushmans unacceptable. I know that Elite standards are supposed to be there to make troopers go those few extra steps, but after a point it might become way too cost prohibitive. I know it would keep my from Elite Status, at least for an extra year or so.

Accurate doesn't have to be expensive. There is a guy on the bay that sells nice pvc/resin blasters for $75, and he has all 3 movie variants available. There are also resin kits that are available from various vendors.

Accurate doesn't have to be expensive. There is a guy on the bay that sells nice pvc/resin blasters for $75, and he has all 3 movie variants available. There are also resin kits that are available from various vendors.

Yes, it is out there...it just has to be found ;) ..I think that the FX Helmet should not be written out due to people having larger heads, but this is about the modded Hasbro Blaster...besides after you spend X amount of money on the toy blaster, then X amount of money on the conversion kit...it is about the same cost as a resin kit at the least :huh: ...and with the hasbro well, its still a hasbro and will never look any better <_<

A modded hasbro blaster is fine to troop with, but however this is about the submission for aproval of "elite" status...I think that the Hasbo toy is just convenient to get B) but does it really look "good enough"?

I guess that can be put up for discussion. Keep in mind that the idea here is to create that accurate look, but maybe not totally eliminate the ability to achieve that goal.

Ā 

The issues I had when I got my Elite status was the requirements are defined, but can also be interpreted several ways. My best (or worst, depending on your point of view) example was the frown on my bucket, and the split of the kidney/butt plate. As a new trooper, I did not see the need to make the frown so minimal, and the separation in relation to the belt placement were lost on me. I will admit to having watched the movies more times than I can count, but I was not able to say if the belt was above or below the separation. The same was true regarding the frown. I just did not "study" the film enough to recognize the subtle differences and details.

Ā 

Now, I would ask, do we want to set the bar so high that it requires every trooper to know the intricate details of every piece of every suit? I don't know, I am merely asking the question. If you eliminate the modded Hasbro blaster, you remove what 90% of all TK's have as their arsenal. I am not saying that is wrong, just making a statement. Again, the same could be true of the FX bucket, heck even the FX armor itself if you want to go that far. I will be the first to admit my FX is not the most "screen-accurate" armor there is, but i think I have done more to make my armor as close to screen accurate than someone who buys a TE2 or AP set. Does that make it better, no, this is just a fact.

Ā 

I personally feel that the amount of work I have put into my armor (and my blaster), made me appreciate the art of costume making more than if I had just bought an accurate set right out of the box. If we get to the point that the only way to achieve Elite Status is to buy the most accurate armor that can be found, then the modding and hard work someone puts into their armor to make it accurate becomes unnecessary and no longer an option. It might also simply make the goal of attaining Elite Status so difficult it rarely happens. I would need to verify but, at least 4 Elite trooper requests are FX.

Ā 

Finally, changing the standards now would mean one of two things:

Ā 

1) We grandfather those in with a modded Hasbro, and they retain their status

Ā 

or

Ā 

2) We give those troopers with a modded Hasbro a certain amount of time to acquire an "approved" blaster, or they lose their status.

Ā 

I have my own opinion on this, but I am not the voice of the detachment when it comes to Elite Standards. I am just the guy that enforces the standards and grants Elite Status.

Ā 

Good questions, and hopefully; some good dialog will follow.

Ā 

:trooper:

If you eliminate the modded Hasbro blaster, you remove what 90% of all TK's have as their arsenal. I am not saying that is wrong, just making a statement.

Ā 

Just a passing comment, but by requiring accurate ab buttons we eliminate almost all FX armor wearers. And on the other side of the coin, I know FX TK's that troop with MR E-11s as well.

Ā 

Regardless I think we should make our standards based on merit, and not on what some or most people have.

One of the main reasons I braught this up was becaus this item was left open in the deployment standards so to speak, but I think that us veterine FISD members have been here long enough and highly educated in the art of the original TK's to actually make a sound judgement on this topic :unsure:

if uber accuracy is required then let the memebers decide...my ignorance aside..what exactly makes the modified toy blaster so different from the original sterling?

Ā 

Ā 

ef

I guess that can be put up for discussion.

Ā 

Yes this is what I have tried to start with this topic

Ā 

Keep in mind that the idea here is to create that accurate look, but maybe not totally eliminate the ability to achieve that goal.

Ā 

The issues I had when I got my Elite status was the requirements are defined, but can also be interpreted several ways. My best (or worst, depending on your point of view) example was the frown on my bucket, and the split of the kidney/butt plate. As a new trooper, I did not see the need to make the frown so minimal, and the separation in relation to the belt placement were lost on me. I will admit to having watched the movies more times than I can count, but I was not able to say if the belt was above or below the separation. The same was true regarding the frown. I just did not "study" the film enough to recognize the subtle differences and details.

Ā 

Now, I would ask, do we want to set the bar so high that it requires every trooper to know the intricate details of every piece of every suit? I don't know, I am merely asking the question. If you eliminate the modded Hasbro blaster, you remove what 90% of all TK's have as their arsenal. I am not saying that is wrong, just making a statement. Again, the same could be true of the FX bucket, heck even the FX armor itself if you want to go that far. I will be the first to admit my FX is not the most "screen-accurate" armor there is, but i think I have done more to make my armor as close to screen accurate than someone who buys a TE2 or AP set. Does that make it better, no, this is just a fact.

Ā 

I personally feel that the amount of work I have put into my armor (and my blaster), made me appreciate the art of costume making more than if I had just bought an accurate set right out of the box. If we get to the point that the only way to achieve Elite Status is to buy the most accurate armor that can be found, then the modding and hard work someone puts into their armor to make it accurate becomes unnecessary and no longer an option. It might also simply make the goal of attaining Elite Status so difficult it rarely happens. I would need to verify but, at least 4 Elite trooper requests are FX.

Ā 

Finally, changing the standards now would mean one of two things:

Ā 

1) We grandfather those in with a modded Hasbro, and they retain their status

Ā 

or

Ā 

2) We give those troopers with a modded Hasbro a certain amount of time to acquire an "approved" blaster, or they lose their status.

Ā 

I have my own opinion on this, but I am not the voice of the detachment when it comes to Elite Standards. I am just the guy that enforces the standards and grants Elite Status.

Ā 

Good questions, and hopefully; some good dialog will follow.

Ā 

:trooper:

Ā 

I guess that can be put up for discussion.

Ā 

Yes this is what I have tried to start with this topic, I want it to be a discussion though and not to turn into an argument :)

Ā 

Keep in mind that the idea here is to create that accurate look,

Ā 

Yes the accurate "look" is the key to the tittle of Elite status, but if we are not allowed to cut corners with our armor, how come we can cut corners with the blaster?

Ā 

but maybe not totally eliminate the ability to achieve that goal.

Ā 

In my opinion, This requirement does not totaly eliminate the ability to achieve

Ā 

The issues I had when I got my Elite status was the requirements are defined, but can also be interpreted several ways.

Ā 

So, I would think that this would be a great start as to specifying the terms for elite status

Ā 

Now, I would ask, do we want to set the bar so high that it requires every trooper to know the intricate details of every piece of every suit? I don't know, I am merely asking the question. If you eliminate the modded Hasbro blaster, you remove what 90% of all TK's have as their arsenal.

Ā 

Again, the same could be true of the FX bucket, heck even the FX armor itself if you want to go that far. I will be the first to admit my FX is not the most "screen-accurate" armor there is,

Ā 

This has nothing to do with the FX Helmet :mellow:

Ā 

Ā 

Do we really want to ge there again Scott?...this discussion is about the blaster it has nothing to do with the armor...that will be left for the future I would think, rightr now lets stick to the blaster please :huh:

Ā 

I am just the guy that enforces the standards and grants Elite Status.

Ā 

Yes! and you do a great job at it, thats why I am glad you are apart of this discussion because you are on the front lines of deplyment status ;)

Ā 

Ā 

:salute::trooper:

efreng said:
if uber accuracy is required then let the memebers decide...my ignorance aside..what exactly makes the modified toy blaster so different from the original sterling?

ef

Here is a pic of some of my blasters,

Ā 

SWBLASTERS.thumb.jpg.d429912eb8fc5ccc97d4db7af4e662b5.jpg

Ā 

from top to bottom

Gun #1 The more Authentic ESB/ROTJ E-11

Gun #2 The more Authentic ANH E-11

Gun #3 The Modded Hasbro Blaster

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

My only argument is this:

Ā 

When someone who is new just finished spending all that money on his/her armor, in most cases they are out of money to go the distance for an expensive blaster. Personally if I was told I couldnt mod a hasbro or use another "cheaper" way to have a blaster until i recovered from the costs of the armor, im not sure I would be where im at today.

Ā 

You cant assume everyone has that kind of financial ability to have both.

Ā 

On the topic of the F/X buckets, I agree they are a little big, but there are people with big heads, are you going to tell them they cant wear them anymore? or are you going to ask them to buy a more expensive helmet that wont fit them very well if at all.

Ā 

Ā 

I think also with the blaster, too many kids reach for it. You cant watch every single one of them. My meaning is not that they could take it, but worried about damage etc. You cant drop your armor.

Ā 

my 2 credits

Ā 

EDIT: After re-reading my post I realized I dont really address the topic of Elite status. Forgive me for im still kinda new, far from "Elite" Then again, im not in it for "Eliteness" never knew there was such a thing beyond assembling my armor and being accepted to the 501st. Im still enjoying the looks on the kids faces when they give me a high five :)

EDIT: After re-reading my post I realized I dont really address the topic of Elite status. Forgive me for im still kinda new, far from "Elite" Then again, im not in it for "Eliteness" never knew there was such a thing beyond assembling my armor and being accepted to the 501st. Im still enjoying the looks on the kids faces when they give me a high five :)

Ā 

No problem Felixx I love entertaining the kids too and being on stage :D

Keep in mind that the idea here is to create that accurate look,

Ā 

Yes the accurate "look" is the key to the tittle of Elite status, but if we are not allowed to cut corners with our armor, how come we can cut corners with the blaster?

Ā 

:trooper: One could argue by allowing FX Armor, we are doing exactly that (but this is about the blaster, so I don't really have a better response than to use the FX as an example for the armor when it comes to uber accuracy)

Ā 

but maybe not totally eliminate the ability to achieve that goal.

Ā 

In my opinion, This requirement does not totaly eliminate the ability to achieve

Ā 

:trooper: I agree, but it certainly adds to the difficulty. This is not a bad thing, just an opinion.

Ā 

The issues I had when I got my Elite status was the requirements are defined, but can also be interpreted several ways.

Ā 

So, I would think that this would be a great start as to specifying the terms for elite status

Ā 

:trooper: I 100% agree, thus my chiming in.

Ā 

Now, I would ask, do we want to set the bar so high that it requires every trooper to know the intricate details of every piece of every suit? I don't know, I am merely asking the question. If you eliminate the modded Hasbro blaster, you remove what 90% of all TK's have as their arsenal.

Ā 

Again, the same could be true of the FX bucket, heck even the FX armor itself if you want to go that far. I will be the first to admit my FX is not the most "screen-accurate" armor there is,

Ā 

This has nothing to do with the FX Helmet

Ā 

:trooper: I was more referring to Lex's comment here

Ā 

Ā 

Do we really want to ge there again Scott?...this discussion is about the blaster it has nothing to do with the armor...that will be left for the future I would think, rightr now lets stick to the blaster please

Ā 

:trooper: Again, just making reference to the points already mentioned. Sticking to my "guns" now (PUN CERTAINLY INTENDED)

Ā 

I am just the guy that enforces the standards and grants Elite Status.

Ā 

Yes! and you do a great job at it, thats why I am glad you are apart of this discussion because you are on the front lines of deplyment status

Ā 

Ā 

:trooper: Thanks. Sometimes trial by fire is the best indoctrination. It also tends to lead me towards a more compassionate angle, but I am NOT the final say in this. Great discussion so far, and one I would welcome we continue. In the best interest, lets keep to the spirit of the thread, and keep the discussion to the topic at hand; BLASTERS!!!

:trooper: One could argue by allowing FX Armor, we are doing exactly that (but this is about the blaster, so I don't really have a better response than to use the FX as an example for the armor when it comes to uber accuracy)

Ā 

Ā 

I know about the FX armor being innacurate but, I do not think that the FX armor should be gotten rid of, because there are those of us who do not have the body type or head size of the Skinny 1970's english guy's that were in the original movie :lol:

Ā 

:trooper: Thanks. Sometimes trial by fire is the best indoctrination. It also tends to lead me towards a more compassionate angle, but I am NOT the final say in this.

Ā 

I know you don't have the final say in this Scott, we all do B)

nice collection bernard!..to the untrained eye there is not much difference between the anh blaster..plus, the accurate ones done make the cool blaster sound that the modified toy does.hehe

nice collection bernard!..to the untrained eye there is not much difference between the anh blaster..plus, the accurate ones done make the cool blaster sound that the modified toy does.hehe

Yes, but you can see the difference though right..personally I think that the blaster sound which is cool I mite add, takes away the mystique from the weapon itself :unsure: ...When you are on a troop I would think that we are suppose to give off a persona that we are TK's, but thats just me :)

I know about the FX armor being innacurate but, I do not think that the FX armor should be gotten rid of, because there are those of us who do not have the body type or head size of the Skinny 1970's english guy's that were in the original movie :lol:

Ā 

Ā 

not to mention being able to afford higher quality....

I think I might have made something an issue here that isn't really supposed to be discussed. I mentioned the FX because it is an example (as Scott said) of how the Elite status is slightly lenient. If you want more examples: knicks and scuffs are not required, traps and tears do not have to be painted, super accurate brow trim is not required, etc. I'm not trying to bring these details into the discussion as to whether or not they're right, I'm just using them as examples. I do think that some leniency is good and I'm fine that none of the things that I mentioned are required.

Ā 

Bernard, your picture really does it for me. I can see the differences, but they are not really at all noticeable. Definitely less noticeable than the FX bucket (again, this is an example). However, you do make the fair case that larger people need to use that kit. CMNavy made TE work for him, so I'm pretty sure most others can as well.

not to mention being able to afford higher quality....

Ā 

In the pic The ESB/ROTJ blaster cost me $80.00, and the resin ANH cost me $100.00...so, as you all can see they are not much more that the moded hasbro :rolleyes:

I think I might have made something an issue here that isn't really supposed to be discussed. I mentioned the FX because it is an example (as Scott said) of how the Elite status is slightly lenient. If you want more examples: knicks and scuffs are not required, traps and tears do not have to be painted, super accurate brow trim is not required, etc. I'm not trying to bring these details into the discussion as to whether or not they're right, I'm just using them as examples. I do think that some leniency is good and I'm fine that none of the things that I mentioned are required.

Ā 

Bernard, your picture really does it for me. I can see the differences, but they are not really at all noticeable. Definitely less noticeable than the FX bucket (again, this is an example). However, you do make the fair case that larger people need to use that kit. CMNavy made TE work for him, so I'm pretty sure most others can as well.

Ā 

Like I said I believe that the Hasbro blaster is just a convenient item to get for ANH deployment, and I don't think it should be allowed for "elite status" there is NO way I would submit pics of my authentic ROTJ or ESB without the correct blaster to go with it, because the hasbro blaster would not work for these kits...but thats just me :pint1: ...Remember that the 501st is a costuming club first and fore most, and some of us strive for the most accurate of that, and I always thought that the tittle of "Elite" should have a high bar to achieve. And I Believe that the blaster qualifications should be set higher since the more authentic looking blasters are not much more in $$$ than buying a hasbro toy, and buying the mod kit :rolleyes:

And I Believe that the blaster qualifications should be set higher since the more authentic looking blasters are not much more in $$$ than buying a hasbro toy, and buying the mod kit :rolleyes:

Ā 

And I think (emphasis on think, because I was not a part of the original standards), that was why the modded version is required. While I will agree a basic Hasbro blaster is not accurate, adding the mod kit helps get it closer. Is it 100%, no way, and I think your pics do a great job of showing exactly that.

Ā 

I guess the real question here is your comment was that the "qualifications should be set higher." Is a well modded Hasbro blaster high enough?

Ā 

Maybe we could do an informal poll to see what the detachment thinks? Keep in mind this would need to be done formally if we chose to make a formal change, but at least we could see what the feeling is across the detachment.

Ā 

Bernard, I will set up a basic poll and see what people think, if they have not chimed in. I think it is a very valid question.

The funny thing about a hasbro conversion is that it's not really all that convenient. You have to buy the blaster, buy the kit, put it together, and paint. If you just buy a resin one then all you have to do is paint, right? I like making my own so I haven't done either of these things, but I'm pretty sure that's the process.

Ā 

I think your attitude is great, Bernard. It's obvious from your statements and your work that attention to detail is what you strive for. Elite status is elite. I was not a member of this forum when it was voted on, but in every build thread that I see people are going out of their way to make those changes. In the same way, they mod their plain old Hasbro blasters to make them more accurate. You don't think it's good enough and have gone above and beyond, and again it looks really good. However, I really do not think that the difference between a well modified hasbro and a real smg or cast is big enough to set the bar there

And I think (emphasis on think, because I was not a part of the original standards), that was why the modded version is required. While I will agree a basic Hasbro blaster is not accurate, adding the mod kit helps get it closer. Is it 100%, no way, and I think your pics do a great job of showing exactly that.

Ā 

I guess the real question here is your comment was that the "qualifications should be set higher." Is a well modded Hasbro blaster high enough?

Ā 

Maybe we could do an informal poll to see what the detachment thinks? Keep in mind this would need to be done formally if we chose to make a formal change, but at least we could see what the feeling is across the detachment.

Ā 

Bernard, I will set up a basic poll and see what people think, if they have not chimed in. I think it is a very valid question.

Cool, thanks Scott :)