Tk's favorite music

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't have a favorite style of music/band per-se, but there are several bands i'm pretty faithful to, such as Radiohead, Tool, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Woven Hand/Sixteen Horsepower among many others. I also love classical music; particularly Mussorgsky and Rachmaninov.

I like my own band.

Visit My Website

But i prefer bands like

The cooper temple clause

joy division

mansun

the cure

New order

souxie and the banshees

the subways

Bauhaus

cocteau twins

22 20's

Echo and the bunnymen

Electric six

placebo

Prodigy

the music

the smiths

u2 early stuff

The legendry too drunk, plus loads of others and also classical music and some folk music.

I like a lot of different styles of music and can't say I hate much, besides Hip Hop and RnB (I just don't get it) but the bands/styles I like most are listed below

Ā 

You Am I

The Living End

Midnight Oil

U2

Jedediah

John Williams

Powderfinger

Nirvana

Foo Fighters

Dead Kennedys

TISM

Men at Work

No Doubt

Frank Bennet

Richard Cheese

Jazz

Blues

I'm 40 and I think the shiz that the kids today listen to is for weenie-bum mommy's boys... I like a wide variety of music (mainly aggressive angry male stuff) EXCEPT for Rap music.... you can't spell cRAP without RAP!! ;)

Ā 

Going out to my workshop and cranking aggressive music as loud as is practical while building stuff helps release the pent-up RAGING ANIMAL in me without going to jail for seriously hurting somebody... <_<

Ā 

Just to name but a FEW of my favorite (aggressive angry male) bands in my EXTENSIVE MP3 collection:

Ā 

Godsmack

Saliva

KoRn

Econoline Crush

Fear Factory

Pantera

Skrape

Static-X

Spineshank

Stuck Mojo

Rob Zombie

Rage Against The Machine

System of a Down

Rammstein

Mudvayne

Linkin Park

Filter

Flaw

Faith No More

Slipknot

Motley Crue

Ozzy / Black Sabbath

Drowning Pool

Fuel

Accept

Alice In Chains

Judas Priest

Disturbed

Extreme

Queensryche

I'm more of a talk radio kinda guy! :D I know kinda strange for someone who is 23 (have been listening to talk radio since 18 or 19).

Ā 

Everynow and then I will listen to Underoath, Zao, All American Reject are ok, Dashboard Confessionals... I dunno, not really into music...

Ā 

I pretty much hate most music that they play on the radio these days - No offense to the Tony that posted before me, but all of those bands are horrible, and they are all the main stream some how...?

I can dig on some talk radio, although it's gotta be satellite radio for me (Jason Ellis on Faction is entertaining..lol). I refuse to listen to the local airwaves, it's just depressing. I can't for the life of me understand how these radio stations can play the same songs over and over again for the past 10 years, it been like a friggin broken record. I've got to listen to something new all the time, or I get bored. There's really too many bands that I listen to, to even bother trying to list them out right now. Anyone interested can check out my myspace page to get a sampling of stuff I've been checking out lately. Of course you'll have to add me to your friends list. www.myspace.com/jedialysis

My faves are

Ā 

Alice Cooper

Blue Oyster Cult

KISS

Pink Floyd

Ā 

But actually I like pretty much all types of music; Rock, Heavy Metal, Blues, Classical, Country, Jazz, Motown, DuWop, Pop, Bluegrass, Folk, Disco, Swing, etc.

Ā 

Anything but Rap--I ABSOLUTELY @#$&$#@ HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATE IT--HATE IT-HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!

felt inclined to mention bands such as Portishead, Massive Attack, King Crimson and to those who "hate" rap, I was the same way for quite a while until I started to hear some outstanding hip-hop whose lyrics are poetic and not self glorifying parodies of themselves. These include Sage Francis, Mr. Lif, El-P, Busdriver, Del tha Funky Homosapien, Aesop Rock and Cannibal Ox. If you really don't like it, you don't like it, but I've found that there's always something to prove me wrong and make me rethink my preconceived notions. I used to despise country music, but that's because I only heard mainstream modern country and had never listened to Johnny Cash, Hank Williams or any other classic country that's as far removed from that stupid "angry american" song as humanly possible. just my thoughts, thanks

You are right on that point. Some of the hip hop you speak of I really don't have a problem with, even tho it's really not my personal taste. It's the hardcore gansta stuff I was referring to. The kind where every other word is a cuss word and every song is about pimpin' and ho's and bustin' caps up someones an impolite person or glorifying selling drugs. That is the stuff that will make me mad and I will get up and leave.

Ā 

What bothers me is that some people just listen for the beat. EXAMPLE: my girlfriend (37 years old) and her daughter (18 years old)---if I play an Alice Cooper song or something along that nature, they get mad at me and say the lyrics are disgusting. And yet they will listen to the gansta crap all day. When I confront them about the lyrics they just say "well, I just like it because I can dance to it. This kind of double standard is what really irks me.

Ā 

That is my personal opinion and you are entitled to yours. It doesn't make either one of us right or wrong.

I'm a metal guy. Can't deny it. I have a long litany of music I don't like, and I freely admit that I'm a closed-minded goober when it comes to music. My wife and I get into many a heated debate about music because of it. Music ended for me when Pearl Jam made it big. It came back briefly in about 1997-1999 when the new metal wave out of LA hit, but that died out with the advent of screamcore.

You are right on that point. Some of the hip hop you speak of I really don't have a problem with, even tho it's really not my personal taste. It's the hardcore gansta stuff I was referring to. The kind where every other word is a cuss word and every song is about pimpin' and ho's and bustin' caps up someones an impolite person or glorifying selling drugs. That is the stuff that will make me mad and I will get up and leave.

Ā 

i agree, that kind of stuff is what i don't like and i think it holds people of that lifestyle to an unfair stereotype. i'm not saying anyone's wrong or right, i just wanted to throw some options out there.

HEAVY F'N METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I grew up listening to Maiden Priest and what not....but as the music changed so did my tastes....Metallica(first 4 albums),Megadeth,Slayer,Anthrax,Testament and so on.Now i've been listening to alot of Death/Black Metal....Vader,Behemoth,Emperor,Lamb of God,Children of Bodom...and all that other scary stuff....but i am a fan of Lacuna Coil also....Cristina Scabbia's voice is just killer.....(and she's smokin' hot to boot!) :6:

Film Scores, Industrial, EBM, New wave, electronic, alternative.

To name a few bands:

Depeche Mode

New Order

Cocteau Twins

APB

NIN

VNV Nation

Apoptygma Berzerk

And One

Feindflug

Icon of Coil

And a million others.....

Aside from that stuff I'll also listen to 30s and 40s music, Sinatra, you name it.

your list looks very interesting Pepster3D

i love film soundtracks as well.... favouriote ones are

Lord of the rings

BLADERUNNER (no 1)

dances with wolves

The piano

Star wars

Pulp fiction

the devils rejects

close encounters

The wicker man

golden eye

These are not films -The snow goose_spike milligan

Ā 

- War of the worlds - jeff wayne

Ā 

Ā 

cheers

I'm 40 and I think the shiz that the kids today listen to is for weenie-bum mommy's boys... I like a wide variety of music (mainly aggressive angry male stuff) EXCEPT for Rap music.... you can't spell cRAP without RAP!! ;)

Ā 

Going out to my workshop and cranking aggressive music as loud as is practical while building stuff helps release the pent-up RAGING ANIMAL in me without going to jail for seriously hurting somebody... <_<

Ā 

Just to name but a FEW of my favorite (aggressive angry male) bands in my EXTENSIVE MP3 collection:

Ā 

Godsmack

Saliva

KoRn

Econoline Crush

Fear Factory

Pantera

Skrape

Static-X

Spineshank

Stuck Mojo

Rob Zombie

Rage Against The Machine

System of a Down

Rammstein

Mudvayne

Linkin Park

Filter

Flaw

Faith No More

Slipknot

Motley Crue

Ozzy / Black Sabbath

Drowning Pool

Fuel

Accept

Alice In Chains

Judas Priest

Disturbed

Extreme

Queensryche

Ā 

Ā 

i agree about the rap you cant spell crap without rap

You can't spell Caucasian without Asian, but that doesn't make them the same thing either. :rolleyes:

Ā 

I don't like "rap," either. Rap is the crap you hear on the radio that all sounds the same and ignorant. I listen to hip hop (yes, there is a big difference between that and rap), techno (almost all forms but happy hardcore), some rock (the kind that requires knowing more than 3 chords), jazz, blues, salsa, reggaeton, and a lot of other thing. I'm not a big fan of angry white boy (or girl) music, punk, or metal (again with the angry guys screaming). I don't listen to the radio or watch music videos, so I've amassed a pretty large CD and mp3 collection over the years.

To add to my filmscore comment, some of my favorite composers are: Bernard Hermann, Hans Zimmer, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Maurice Jarre, Jan Hammer (can't get enough of his Miami Vice work), James Newton Howard, Mark Isham, and Thomas Newman. They've done so many scores I like, the list would be too long! If I could also name a few other movies, I would list The Fifth Element, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, The Matrix 1,2, 3, American Beauty, Dracula, Donnie Darko, Planet of the Apes, and many more I know I am forgetting to list here...

• 3 weeks later...

k while im not saying that all that music isnt good, cause its awsum stuff. you need to add

Ā 

Wolfmother

The Offspring

zepplin

beastie boys (ya i know rap but still)

Ā 

and for all you ultra SW Fans there are sum really cool techno re-mixes of star wars themes. call me a loser if u will but i heard a re-mix of the imperial march and omg it was Awsummmmm.