Morphines AP build

So, having difficulty with the helmet getting put together. It seems that the holes I had put in earlier with the drill are no longer aligning with the holes anymore. Anyone have this problem before? It's probably something simple that I'm doing completely wrong because to be honest I'm not very good when it comes to stuff like this. Here's some pics.

100_0817.jpg

100_0818.jpg

100_0819.jpg

So in all actuality I can sand all the way down to the red line (Below). Okay, then that make a lot more sense, especially as to why my screws are barely getting through the cap n back.

100_0823.jpg

I'll pull out the dremel tomorrow and knock out the teeth a little more too.

you can get to that line, but be patient, cut a bit, measure, adjust, etc, until you get it right, about the teeth I would recommend small files instead of a dremel

carefully take the ears trimming down to the point where the cap sits flush. with no lip on it.

the curved parts of the ear should have a 1mm lip left on.

it looks like you have a 4-6mm lip which should be carefully taken off down to 1mm

the front of each ear should have a right angle at the cheek, and the back of each ear should have

a curve at the cheek with almost no lip.

drill on the holes for the helmet only, don't change the positions.

the lower bottom screw goes exactly into the marked positions, and with the ears trimmed properly

there will be almost no gaps.

with the extra material you have on them, they can't sit flush at the tubes.

Basically what I had done (since I don't have a rivet gun yet) was placed a screw and nut on there, placed the ear down, drilled in. The only hole that seemed to be off was the very bottom one on both the front and cap. I think the bucket shifted somehow during my process. Tomorrow once I sand down the ears more it should make for a much easier process and I'll just drill the hole where the dimple shows of the bucket.

This thread should be really good for anyone like myself who's totally new to costuming. They'll definitely see all my do's and don'ts - learn from my mistakes haha

More update to the dome. To help with the struggle I was having with the screws I used the dremel and made the holes larger. Quite a bit larger actually - from 3/32 to 1/8. Made aligning the stuff a lot easier and I was able to get the bottom dimple to align with no problem to pop the ears on.

I THINK I'm done with this left ear. Like I said, I haven't bought the rivet gun yet so the bucket is held on the side via 2 screws and nuts.

I'm a little weirded out though by the front of the ear - see that gap? Will that close up once I tighten it down all the way? That looks like the grand canyon could fit in the thing right now.

Secondly is the bottom of the ear piece. Is it not suppose to reach all the way and wrap completely around the tube?

Once again, and as always, thanks for any input!

100_0835.jpg

100_0833.jpg

100_0834.jpg

100_0831.jpg

You really should trim those ear caps a lot more so there is no visible trim line. The trim line is on there to show you where to trim.

I think you are making the assembly harder by not screwing the face to the cap/back first. If you don't have any rivets or screws - get some! It will make the whole thing a lot easier for you if it is assembled first rather than struggle trying to line up holes for the ear caps and using those to hold everything together.

Also, I have heard most people don't bother using the pre-marked holes on the AP helmet.

Check this thread out, it helped me out a lot with regards to trimming the ears: http://forum.whitear...=1

That's a great reference there Martin, thanks for the find on that! I'm glad I'm not the only one stressing on the ears. I decided to put down the sandpaper and pulled the Dremel once again and took out the trim area. I'm waaaaaay too sleepy right now to post pics but tomorrow I should have some up.

Also ordered my Humbrol paints and neckseal from Trooperbay earlier this morning. I think tomorrow morning I'm going to try and sneak back to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and see if I can find a rivet gun and some snaps as well.

FINALLY got some time today to throw up some pictures. The fiancee has me doing honey-do's like there's no tomorrow. I'll happily do them though just so I can get this done haha.

Well as I said, I was going to sand down the ears even more and I was going to open up the teeth too. In these pics I have pretty much taken out all of the trim as suggested and it of course made it pretty good. Check out the frontal view.

100_0841.jpg

However my concern is in the back of the ears. I think I know what the solution is, but just want to be sure before going forward. Does it looks to you like I need to curve the ear where the top of the tube meets even more? This picture basically represents both ears, it's about the same for both. The left one isn't quite as bad.

100_0839.jpg

I know I have a bit of trim area still left on there, no biggie I'm actually working on it right now.

And boy - I had 2 screws holding the bucket together at first. I went out and bought me a pop-rivet gun and that just made things 5x better. For future plans also, in the kidney area - do people tend to use actual rivets there or is it okay to use those little brass things that hold paper together (painted white). I'm not even sure of their actual name I just saw them in Wal-Mart yesterday while I was there and they looked like they would be accurate.