ESB TK Helmet Build [*ATA]

Big thanks to Terrell for his amazing work in his craft. I am thoroughly satisfied with not only the purchase process but also the product.

DSC_0201.jpg

Now, here's a couple questions before I dig in too far.

I've read a few posts where folks have sprayed the interior of their helmets with things from truck bed liner to plasticote, I would imagine this would be easier if you did it at the start instead of after assembly, however any one have suggestions on product/whether this is a good idea?

I've read several of the threads on this, namely Pandatroopers break down of it, and feel pretty good going into this, but honestly I'm still a bit terrified to screw this up.

Any last minute suggestions before I start marking and cutting?

Wish me luck!

Edited by Darth Ruprecht

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only suggestion I have is that you take your time with the helmet and don't rush into it. Measure twice, cut once as it is often said around here.

As Christian said, take your time and be extra careful when trimming. Always be sure to cut less so you don't over trim and you end up wrong (this goes specially for the ears trim a little, see if it fits, if not, cut a little more, etc. until you get a perfect fit :) )

And be sure to post pics of your progress!

Mathew,

I used the spray on Plastidip for the interior of my bucket. This leaves a nice finish. TK-4510's helmet tutorial will prove a great resource when it comes to building your ATA. Have fun with your build :D

First night of work. Some may call me over cautious, however I like to say I am simply prepared.

Not only did I tape the outside of the helmet to prevent overspray from the interior paint, but I also left the plastic sheeting on. Two layers of protection is better than one, right?

DSC_0217.jpg

I also covered the ATA logo on the inside of the helmet. It may seem silly but I wanted to maintain the source of the helmet.

DSC_0218.jpg

Interior covered with the first coat.

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

Now to let it dry and prepare to begin cutting.

Edited by Darth Ruprecht

So I passed both of my Microsoft tests today. New addition to the alphabet soup behind my name.

Here are the detail pictures I promised of the interior of the helmet. I haven't started cutting, yet. Still measuring, double measuring, checking my sources, re-measuring. . . Thinking about how I measured, etc.

Detail of the interior of the helmet. The coating added a lot of extra rigidity and a nice finished look.

DSC_0239.jpg

Maintained the Maker's Mark.

DSC_0236.jpg

Yes, that's me.

I've been told that before. I showed my wife that post and she agreed. Now, if only I had his money and awesome job. . . .Hmm. . .

Anywho, need to Stay on target!

I've cut the teeth out and trimmed down the top of the faceplate.

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

I also trimmed down the cap and back, but was wondering if I should trim down the back of the lid further?

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

What do you all think?

The only "Hero" is in ANH, and it specifically refers to Han and Luke when they were disguised as stormtroopers on the Death Star.

So no, there is no ESB Hero.

Well, I've joined the faceplate to the lid.

Here's the result.

DSC_0269.jpg

I had a bit of a "Oh $*@&%" moment when I realized one side was higher than the other on the brow. I was able to correct this by using the dremel to clear material from the lid above the problem eye. All in all I believe it could have been better, but as this is my first I am fairly satisfied so far.

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

You can see here where the brow trim dips at the trap on this side.

I also found an interesting issue when I actually test fit it. . . . My enormous eyeglass frames actually protrude slightly from the lens areas. Hmm.

DSC_0279.jpg

Looking very nice!!!! have to saw that one of the cleanest work area i have seen in a good while!!!!!! :blink: maybe to clean...... :lol:

really looks like u have been doing this a awhile and not your first helmet. really looking foward to see u build your armor.

Once again welcome and glad u found us :lol: