Cutting eyes to get that "look"

OK, I am working on a CAP-W helmet right now and I so badly wanted that droopy eye ANH look, but obviously it didn't come out that way. I think I can trim them a bit more and make it an ESB helmet. What I wanted to know is does anyone have any tips or tricks for cutting the eyes of a TK helmet a certain way to get the wonky look? I see the trim lines and I cut behind them, but I am guessing there is something more I should be leaving when I didn't... Conversely, I know that ESB eyes are cut wider, but I am sure there is a point at which you stop cutting. Any tips?? I know it is probably not as hard as I making it, but the helmet kits I used to get already had eyes pre-trimmed so this is still a bit new to me! THANKS!!

Edited by DarthVeach

For example

Ā 

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

Ā 

The move along helmet looks as though it has a "lip" around the eye that is left after cutting. I am not seeing where that is on my CAP-W or my ATA, unless I cut it all the way at the back of the eye, which I think would be too far inset. Is it possible the bucks used back then had more shallow eye wells?

the ATA and CAP-w have deep eye wells.

Ā 

the shallower eye well of the AP or TM lid can be left on, and cut unevenly to get that

"quick and dirty" style cutout with a lip.

Ā 

on lids with deeper eye wells, you can't get the lipped look that you're looking for.

Ā 

best to just idealize that feature.

Ā 

the eyes you have cut out look just fine!

Most people in my opinion leave far too much material on the eyes and or the molds are wrong and the eyes are too small to start with. The film helmets seem to be cut back much more even though they have flashing left on. This makes a lot of replicas look odd. Only the TM seems to big enough eyes, the TE line, GINO etc all look far too small to me...

Edited by JoeR

Most people in my opinion leave far too much material on the eyes and or the molds are wrong and the eyes are too small to start with. The film helmets seem to be cut back much more even though they have flashing left on. This makes a lot of replicas look odd. Only the TM seems to big enough eyes, the TE line, GINO etc all look far too small to me...

Ā 

Ā 

This in incorrect.

The 'flashing' you see in the eye sockets have nothing to do with how shallow the eye sockets are. It is more about their shape.

Ask anyone who has one of my V2's or V3's and they can vouch for it.

Ā 

Also, I cannot speak to the other TE lineage helmets, but my helmet sockets are quite perfect and definitely not too small.

I have helmet kits in the for sale section for anyone interested.

Ā 

Ā 

This in incorrect.

The 'flashing' you see in the eye sockets have nothing to do with how shallow the eye sockets are. It is more about their shape.

Ask anyone who has one of my V2's or V3's and they can vouch for it.

Ā 

Also, I cannot speak to the other TE lineage helmets, but my helmet sockets are quite perfect and definitely not too small.

I have helmet kits in the for sale section for anyone interested.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I looked at your helmets and your eye sockets ARE more shallow than any I have seen. they would work great to create that effect, i just can't afford one.

I looked at your helmets and your eye sockets ARE more shallow than any I have seen. they would work great to create that effect, i just can't afford one.

Ā 

Have you ever had one of mine in your hands untrimmed?

Ā 

Here's a pic of mine to show what they should look like.

Ā 

hdpe_test26.JPG

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Just curious. What kind of armor is that in the background?

Ā 

Ā 

On 3/31/2011 at 1:09 AM, Darth_Finger said:

Here is how I did my ESB ATA helmet.

Ā 

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020