How would you create runny paint and such

there are a couple ways to do this

1. you could simply drip some super glue or other glue wait for it to set then paint over it.

2. simply spray the helmet and drip the paint you are using.

Either way it is best to do this whilst painting the helmet or before.....

I'd go for the superglue method

2 part superglue with the activator would be best....?

Thats quite runny and a large volume in a tub

If you drip too much it can be wiped off with a cloth (you'll be spraying the whole lid anyway)

If you like your drip, fix it quickly with the activation spray :)

If there is a particular run that you are trying to replicate then, I vote the super glue method. If you tried to do it with paint alone, it would take a long time to dry and may not dry the way you want. Then you need to start over.

dish soap makes an outstanding runny effect ;) drip dish soap on the area that you want to create a run spray paint over the dishsoap run (rustolium works best),let dry then rise off the soap. it helps to differ the color of the paint for contrast slightly when doing this..this creates a run effect that is smooth to the touch an still has the 3D runn effect.. water can also be used to make a spotted effect if sprayed on the workpiece with a spray bottle.. both these methods work with enamel model paints or good quality spray paints, any enamel paint should work (an airbrush works the best but canned paint works fine)

also you want to spray the paint at a near horizontal angle as to mist only a portion of the water or soap, dont spray directly onto the area you want to create a run, the trick is to paint about 1/2 of the liquid

here is an example of this method, i used the water spray effect and dish soap on my guitar to create the runny effect. but it is completely smooth unlike a real runny paintjob.

idbi33a.jpg

uKX0JfL.jpg

Ma0IVo5.jpg

APc2A1R.jpg

this video shows how to do the effect with droplets but you can create runs with the same method and it explains the contrast effect :D

if i were trying to create a white runny paintjob i would first paint a high gloss white base coat then apply the soap/water runs then mist with a coat of slightly off white or flat white to create the contrast, seal with a clear acrylic then polish/wax... but i tend to do things the hard way :P

On 3/25/2011 at 2:01 AM, dashrazor said:

dish soap makes an outstanding runny effect ;) drip dish soap on the area that you want to create a run spray paint over the dishsoap run (rustolium works best),let dry then rise off the soap. it helps to differ the color of the paint for contrast slightly when doing this..this creates a run effect that is smooth to the touch an still has the 3D runn effect.. water can also be used to make a spotted effect if sprayed on the workpiece with a spray bottle.. both these methods work with enamel model paints or good quality spray paints, any enamel paint should work (an airbrush works the best but canned paint works fine)

also you want to spray the paint at a near horizontal angle as to mist only a portion of the water or soap, dont spray directly onto the area you want to create a run, the trick is to paint about 1/2 of the liquid

here is an example of this method, i used the water spray effect and dish soap on my guitar to create the runny effect. but it is completely smooth unlike a real runny paintjob.

this video shows how to do the effect with droplets but you can create runs with the same method and it explains the contrast effect :D

if i were trying to create a white runny paintjob i would first paint a high gloss white base coat then apply the soap/water runs then mist with a coat of slightly off white or flat white to create the contrast, seal with a clear acrylic then polish/wax... but i tend to do things the hard way :P

very cool trick!