Sterling gun still used by police

I saw a tv show tonight about crimes in India and i could clearly see many police officers with the Sterling .

Anywhere else they use it still ?

I had to qualify on one when I joined the RMs in 88.

We just called it the SMG.

I was 16, I did used to think about SW then as I had been a fan since childhood, but I had other things on my mind.

Now it's the other way round

You had to be careful of' a runaway gun'

Basically the sear that hold the working parts and pin back when cocked, is very weak, they were reknowed for not locking and it would then shoot a full mag of rounds, a large ND on the range.

We cocked and only slowly released under hand pressure so we had the power on the cocking pin just in case.

Just like Star Wars it was a very inaccurate weapon and was designed for a wide area of shot, you actually felt it drag you to one sid as it fired. a bit like a pneumatic drill jumps around. We were marked on area of shot rather than grouping. And the area was quite big.

Sorry a bit of a stealing of thread, but they were used quite late in the 80s and I am sure there are many being used in the forces unofficially, training or stored. Ammunition provision is normally the deciding factor hence the 5.56 SA80 we have.

Overseas and in certain circumstances I am sure it is different matter other than what I would normally use.

I should go across to the armoury a bit more :D

Gra

Edited by tk7713gra30

Actually found a thread online that showed they were being made in the US at least up until 2010. Real firing Sterlings that could take a Sten magazine. However I don't know if they are still being made and you can't own one in everystate. I'll try and find the link for you and post it. However they can't export outside the US at all.

Edited by tigger68

I'm not sure if the weapon is being used by any group/military to a great extent. There are better options out there obviously. Yeah, apparently the Indian Ordnance Factories offer a model of it. There are quite a few floating around in the middle east. Wiselite offers a "sport" sterling. There's an "American Redux" version which is a slightly modified working replica. That thing sells for a death star sized jar of trooper coins.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

In the CF (Canadian Forces) we used the SMG till about 18 years ago. That was the last time we went to the firing range to fire the weapon. Funny thing, no one like firing at the target. Instead we always aimed for the wooden target support structure. It splintered nicely under the spray of rounds. Very cool weapon. Had to be careful though because of it's very short barrel.