Want to mod FX ab/kidney plate

I've posted my hate-hate relationship with the FX ab/kidney plate in other forums with no luck getting any tips about modding it to fit smaller framed guys like myself. With a 32" waist, i'm almost swimming in the thing and looks barrel-like. Someday I'd like to replace it entirely with something better (TE for example) but for now I have to make do with what I already got. I tried using nylon cord strapping to cinch it tighter without any noticeable difference. Now I know there are some people with a similar build where the FX seems to fit just fine; what i'd like to know is there some way to mod it for a tighter fit? Would it involve cutting? Thanks! :unsure:

How about instead of strapping the left ab plate to the left back plate, it wraps all the way around to create a tighter fit (e.g. connect left ab plate around the back to the right ab plate. I'm a 32" waist too, so we should meet up and see what the difference between how it looks on us is.

How about instead of strapping the left ab plate to the left back plate, it wraps all the way around to create a tighter fit (e.g. connect left ab plate around the back to the right ab plate. I'm a 32" waist too, so we should meet up and see what the difference between how it looks on us is.

I'm afraid that may be no different from trying to cinch it from the interior as I've tried before. ABS is rather rigid in that respect and was thinking of literally tightening the belt or shortening it to apply exterior pressure instead. But your suggestion is appreciated and worth a try.

Hmmmm,do you think even if you cut edges it would still be wide?If so,then you'll have to reshape the parts.Don't be affraid to heat the plastic up and reshape it,it's pretty easy to do.If the plastic will pull tighter (making narrower) use gaffa tape to keep it pulled tight (or rope) and gently heat the plastic all over it's entire surface.Keep the heat gun (or hair dryer) about 8 inches away and gently heat the plastic enough until it keeps it's new narrow shape when the tape is removed.Repeat the process until it stays in it's new shape and heat a little longer each time.It will change shape :)

Hmmmm,do you think even if you cut edges it would still be wide?If so,then you'll have to reshape the parts.Don't be affraid to heat the plastic up and reshape it,it's pretty easy to do.If the plastic will pull tighter (making narrower) use gaffa tape to keep it pulled tight (or rope) and gently heat the plastic all over it's entire surface.Keep the heat gun (or hair dryer) about 8 inches away and gently heat the plastic enough until it keeps it's new narrow shape when the tape is removed.Repeat the process until it stays in it's new shape and heat a little longer each time.It will change shape :)

I thought about cutting the edges but really think it just needs to be reshaped. I'll give the heatgun/hairdryer a go and see how it turns out. If not, I may have to sneak it into the oven. Thanks for the tip! :D

You're kidding about the oven, right? You can get a heat gun rather inexpensively at department stores.

Never tried but actually read about it in other forums. Realistically, don't think i'll do it anyway since the missus would have a fit. ;)

This happens to be my next big mod as I am also a 32 waist. I'm going to make a more realistic belt with white canvas. As irony would have it, my wife wanted a sewing machine. As I bought the thing for her she is excited to make me a belt.

Then I will tackle the swimming in the armor problem by using the "extra" abs from my old belt. I have already been thinking about heating it etc.

Now, I do know of at least two guys in the Golden Gate Garrison that have done this. I'll contact them and ask they join and add their wisdom!

Thx, Ed

Trooper ab plates in oven,gas mark 5,bake gently for 10 mins....... melted mess :P

Seriously,I think even a hair dryer would do it.Just remember to heat it gently,even if it takes you 10 or 20 attempts before it stays in it's new shape.You could try closing it more than you want,so it can spring back a bit to the desired shape.Take your time and I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

-Paul.

My waist is about 31 inches. What I did was cut away the lip at the top of the ab plate. I removed about 2 inches off the top and cut it straight across. (That part is hidden by the chest plate). It is now more flexible and is easy to cinch smaller by simply tightening my belt.