HOWTO: Sculpt stuff

Hello folks.

Just thought I'd slap a thread up on helping each other sculpting. Not seen any on here....?

Really easy to do. Here I'll be showing you 3 things all made with air drying clay and things in my kitchen. Knives, spare strips of ABS, sandpaper and paper towels

ANH handplates

ESB/ROTJ handplates

Zam Wessel Handplates

ANH Handplates:

I'm convinced that ANH handplates are asymmetrical. One has a flat knuckle edge, the other a curve

Here's my version

Start with a rough shape made out of strips of clay pushed together when wet.

You can flatten the clay with a rolling pin or a cylindrical drinking glass. Get the layer then cut out (bigger than you actually need) with a knife and lay on top.

Cut it out bigger so you can correct for mistakes by taking clay away as you smooth any sharp edges.

5nO2dFP.jpg

Sharpen up with flat CLEAN edges. It's important to have the clay a little wet and your tool CLEAN. (lol) Otherwise it'll tear at the clay. I'm using a spare ABS strip

As you cut away parts, if you over do it, clay is great as you get a small bit and mash it back into the original 'blob' until you're happy. You can strips strips to build bulk in an area and just swipe it away with a knife and a cutting by pushing action to remove the parts you don't

MQRoYXD.jpg

I cut it down to size with a kitchen knife with vertical movements, but also leave an angle so these can be vac formed

0NEK7fn.jpg

I use scuplting tools to get detail in. Again, keep clean and free from drying clay

Another bit of ABS helps to form the detail and slope effect seen. Do this by stroking in alternate ways along the line you want

zvo8jHj.jpg

When that's done and you're happy (I never am) start on the other one

Again, always use clean tools to carve into the clay. Here's I'm trying to get everything square and flat

sxavlQn.jpg

ESB/ROTJ handplates

A different clay is used here but still air drying

Get your basic shape and start to carve the detail. I let this dry out too much and it actually made my life easier. As the clay is then harder, you're less likely to make mistakes as removing hard clay is tougher than wet clay. This shape is more organic and fun to create and feel in your hands :)

Most clay was removed with sandpaper in circular movements as this is more of an organic smooth shape.

8RiT1WI.jpg

Use a chisel to get big chunks out and sand paper to get it fine again

knSe9ii.jpg

knSe9ii.jpg

The great thing with this type of clay is, even though it dries hard, if you wet it again it responds like normal clay once more :)

Here a paper towel is used to remove clay I don't want and to smooth back my carved detail line

Sanding will remove the clay you want when dry.

Wet again to smooth over with your finger or paper towel to get a really smooth finish

Di1ql6A.jpg

C9zcaFF.jpg

Line them up for comparison of size, spot what obviously needs fixing (the mid line) and fix away :)

gaeBogB.jpg

This is what I was trying to make

QoSITkl.jpg

Zam Wessel handplates

These were for my lovely Beckys Zam Wessel costume. Very proud of it all :)

cD3EBGd.jpg

Bare in mind that when you vac form things the outer facing side will never have a 90 degree sharp corner. You have to make this yourself with square files :)

The wrist was too curved so this was just sandpapered down

62llBu3.jpg

Clean up the mess before your other half gets home :)

qacNTSZ.jpg

Here I'm making vac form moulds, but I could easily make things that I could then cast up and make into resin copies etc.

Hope this helps or inspires someone who's struggling to make a part they need :)

John

Sculting with styrene? lol

Ah, flat bits stuck on top of one another?

Well that's more less what I did with the ANH hand plates. Get the basic shape, use a rolling pin for making cakes (I used a glass, don't tell Becky :)) and then just cut the strips and lay them on top of one another

Sculting with styrene? lol

Ah, flat bits stuck on top of one another?

Well that's more less what I did with the ANH hand plates. Get the basic shape, use a rolling pin for making cakes (I used a glass, don't tell Becky :)) and then just cut the strips and lay them on top of one another

Exactly what I did :) the rest of the shaping is done with sandpaper.

Heck, you can build an entire r2-unit wizh styrene!tongue.gif

Edited by Sonnenschein