Rom/FX in a DS Case

Okay what we have here is my Rom/FX in a DS Lite case. I needed a way to get it all organized and I had the case laying around from my kids recent upgrade and I thought maybe it would all fit. Well it does. You could unsolder the connections and maybe make it a little neater. I didn't want to have to go through all the trouble. I know that Stukatrooper had made a topic with a Rom in a Box and that gave me a idea to try this.

The plans are to use velcro and attach it to the back armor, then feed the cords to the front around my side to the Aker amp up front and the the cable for the mic to the helmet.

Really pretty easy........... ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Nice one Bill.. I will have to see how cheap I can find a DS lite case....thank man.

Superb mod... that's one way of keeping body 'moisture' away from the electronics...

Another thing you can use is a Tic-Tac Box..(for the ROM only)....

BTW, where do you feed your pro wires to? Down your arm and into your gloves?

Edited by james007bond

BTW, where do you feed your pro wires to? Down your arm and into your gloves?

I haven't used the Pro wires yet, but I do plan on running them down my left arm. I might have to extend the cables, but made it so the pro wires were on the left and the amp and mic are on the right.

You could really just make it any configuration for your use. I just wanted a way to move it form one set of armor to the next. Velcro to the back armor and Aker amp clips to my thigh belt in the front. ( I ware my Thigh belt high :D )

Also you can really use these cases for just about anything. I was surprised that the inside rubber fit the Rom board perfectly. I took the top part out and used it on the bottom. It cushions the whole thing nicely and no rattling around.

Edited by Obievon

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, i do have a question... where did you get that rubber moulding from? Or is it something you simply put together or cut out together... :D

The pro wires are a real pain to get right, a few of the UKG guys have them installed in their belt with the button tucked away on the underside...Downside you can't move them from kit to kit....

Actually, i do have a question... where did you get that rubber moulding from? Or is it something you simply put together or cut out together... :D

The pro wires are a real pain to get right, a few of the UKG guys have them installed in their belt with the button tucked away on the underside...Downside you can't move them from kit to kit....

The rubber molding is the molding that comes in the DS case. It is actually the top part. All I did was pull it out and use it on the bottom. Lucky how the PC board and the size compartment are the same size as the partitions in the rubber. It just fit right in. No gluing nothing. It's held in by its size.

I had to cut access hole in it for the plugs to be plugged from the out side. The bottom jack I just pushed in the recess that was already made in the rubber.

All-in-all, I was amazed at how easy this worked out. For me it answered a problem I wanted to solve and that was to be able to use it in all of my armor.

As far as the Pro wires go I really haven't used them yet and I'll figure something out. I might make a key pad that can be clipped on to my belt on the inside. When I get something together I'll post it here. :salute:

Excellent job. I love the idea of having everything self-contained in the helmet, but this this gives me reason to re-think my ideas...

• 6 months later...

This is a fantastic idea. I wonder if these specific cases are available anymore, though. An eBay search reveals many DS Lite cases but none like this one. Now I find a lot of crystal DS Lite cases with no lining or padding like this one seems to possess.

• 2 months later...