Amp & Com system with magnetic switch

This question is specially for my British fellows (though not exclusive to them):

Some of the guys at the Spanish Garrison mentioned a sound system (apparently) used by the UKG that switches from a voice amp (I guess something like ROM FX) to an intercom system through way of a magnetic switch placed on one of the ears in your helmet.

From what I've been told you need to have a magnet in your glove, and by putting your glove near the ear of your helmet you switch to the intercom system to talk to other troopers. When you take your hand away it switches back to the voice amp system.

Does anyone know of something like that being used by the UKG (or other garrison?)

If you know something, can anybody tell me how this system works and what are the pieces needed to make one?

Thanks.

They're magnetic reed switches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch

Oh! Thanks! :)

So, you control the parts of the system with that.

I've read somewhere that they switch from a ROM FX to a TrooperComm, but I can't find any info on the TrooperComm. I don't know if the TKVox is similar or not. And in any case, how is the whole system arranged?

Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! Thanks! :)

So, you control the parts of the system with that.

I've read somewhere that they switch from a ROM FX to a TrooperComm, but I can't find any info on the TrooperComm. I don't know if the TKVox is similar or not. And in any case, how is the whole system arranged?

Any idea?

Hi Damian,

I'm working on a production system right now. It will take some time to get right though and I don't expect it to be ready for a few months.

Basically, the reed switch is operated by a magnet (as you already know). This enables you to switch (flip / flop) between a PMR (Private Mobile Radio) and your comm / amplifier system (ROM/FX, TKVox, Voice Core etc). In principle it all sounds really easy. To do it well and make it totally reliable, lightweight and power efficient is not that easy. The other thing is, your helmet will be stuffed full of electronics and batteries etc. Of course you can mount the electronics in other parts of your armour. Unfortunately you then have wires trailing out of your helmet. My TKVox amps keep everything inside your helmet.

Keep me posted if you make any progress. I'll subscribe to this post to see if anything happens.

Cheers,

Rees.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to mention, the beauty of this system is that when you touch your ear for example, the magetic swtich engages and also lights up an LED inside your lid infront of your eye so that you know that you are using the troopercom and not the ROM. Remove your finger and the ROM engages again.... superb

Edited by james007bond

Good point Vern.

I've carried extensive (50 hours plus) R&D with FM and Bluetooth short range comms and there is always a hitch. FM (any wireless FM/AM system) seems to suffer from latent interference and Bluetooth v.2 has codec issues (a time delay). With FM the issue is the power of the transmitter. If it is too close then it causes interference.

Have you got any insights into this? I know the wireless mic kits are FM based. Does yours work well? Are you using this system?

Most FM wireless mic kits have a trimmer tuning screw so you can adjust the kit.

Hi Damian,

I'm working on a production system right now. It will take some time to get right though and I don't expect it to be ready for a few months.

Basically, the reed switch is operated by a magnet (as you already know). This enables you to switch (flip / flop) between a PMR (Private Mobile Radio) and your comm / amplifier system (ROM/FX, TKVox, Voice Core etc). In principle it all sounds really easy. To do it well and make it totally reliable, lightweight and power efficient is not that easy. The other thing is, your helmet will be stuffed full of electronics and batteries etc. Of course you can mount the electronics in other parts of your armour. Unfortunately you then have wires trailing out of your helmet. My TKVox amps keep everything inside your helmet.

Keep me posted if you make any progress. I'll subscribe to this post to see if anything happens.

Cheers,

Rees.

Damian

This is my troopercom unit on the right in the picture. On the left is an earpiece and adapter which plugs into the troopercom and a PMR radio. The troopercom itself plugs into ROMFX. You will also notice 2 small magnets. There is a magnetic switch on one of the troopercom wires and all one does is to mount the troopercom anywhere on your armour or in your helmet (say by the ear) and it engages by you simply touching that area with a magnet.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah the use of this bad boy has died a death sadly, but if a group of you get together and use them they're great

Sven build it to be able to place a radio in your lid and the reed switch acts like a kind of push to talk PTT buton

You need a radio with VOX build in though

(we used to them at large events to talk to our spotters and things like that

The Reed switch just bypasses your ROM FX output and sends it to the Radio and lights up the LED, not the ROM

Quite clever but quite simple

• 4 weeks later...