MG 34 plans

I spent a while today looking for plans to build an MG34, i found some but they didnt look quite right to me so i found a few good pictures of a replica MG34 on a WW2 re-enactment site and it seems the online plans are slightly wrong at the front so i re-did the plans for the main body and i thought id post them here to see what the very clever people of the FISD think ????.... please not too harsh its my first attempt at any plans.

Refrence picture

mg18.jpg

My outer body which i have split over 2 sheets to get the right size as i have allready started building.. (it has 3 pieces, 2 outer and an inner)

mg34sides1a.jpg

mg34sides1b.jpg

...its going to be big by the looks of it so far, like nearly 4 foot long (i think the original was somehwere around 46 inches)

Edited by gh05ty

Wow, thats really nice. If you ever do a run, I'm interested.

The SW version had a few extras like the disc on the side of the grip, a cover over the ammo feed opening, and the T-tracks on the barrel.

Here are some sites with some great reference pictures and info.

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/2449

http://www.brpguns.com/mg34.htm

Thanks for the links guys, some will be usefull... unfotunately the only plans i could find online were the ones on the empireprops website which were the incorrect ones (im not saying the original designer did a bad job they are very good plans) but i had to notice they just was'nt quite right.

Not sure if ill ever do a run of them but you never know i may get bored at some point in the near future lol.

Edited by gh05ty

hi there i just made my first mg-34, i used a collection of reference photos i found online if you like i could send a link to you if it helps, also i only used 3 of the templates from the bbc for rough sizing mostly (i had to modify them alot) if you like i could draw up some rough plans of my build from memory, i made the main body entirely different than any plans i could find online. just give me a shout and ille throw what i have together for you :D

The reference you're using isn't the most accurate - that reenactment MG34 is only an interpretation of the real deal. You might want to keep that in mind, Rob. I recommend using pictures of an original machine gun instead to work from.

I did realise it was a casting and not totally accurate & im only using it for basic shape of the body i have some pics of real MG's when i get on to the detail.

Thanks for the heads up anyway Dennis :duim:

I made a few alteration to the outer sections yesterday..The parts marked in dark gray are on the left side only and i removed the cut-out for the grip as the top and bottom edges are sloped.

mg34sides1a-1.jpg

mg34sides1b-1.jpg

This is the centre section:

mg34centrea.jpg

mg34centreb-1.jpg

And the grip/trigger assembly:

mg34griptrigger.jpg

Edited by gh05ty

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along nicely! Your trigger / frame / grip however looks slightly off proportion (the real one doesn't have a perfectly round trigger guard, and the grip is a bit rounded on the front and back (the slotted lines don't go all the way from front to back). Here's a really good reference pic and site that might be better than my description

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H080061.html

The wood trigger wont be staying it was just there so i could get the sizes right, i want to fit an alloy trigger (looking at a red LED for the barrel) and will be using alloy plate on the sides on the grips,and alloy for the trigger guard... but thanks for the link that will be a massive help when i do get around to doing some more to the grip/trigger B)

Maybe this will help explain what i mean...

MG34griptriggerelecs.jpg

Edited by gh05ty

It will have a red LED in the end of the barrel that illiuminates when the trigger is pressed, i allready have the parts for the electrics which is supprisingly simple... 1 simple push button, taken from a cheap cycle light (the kind that has multiple flash types so the button is simple push on, release off, 1 battery & LED taken from a cigarette lighter (it had a light in the bottom), the end/reflector of a small aaa battery powered torch to increase the light from the LED and hold everything into the inner barrell.

I have a few things to do at home but when im done ill rig this all up to show the effect maybe with a small youtube vid. :D

Edited by gh05ty

OK... update i have the electrics installed in the grip but i am still working on the trigger itself but thought id get a couple of pics of the electrics ...

LPIC6434.jpg

and one with the LED lit up .. doesnt look very bright here but its not bad in person..

LPIC6435.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was going great, i had the trigger and electrics all set and the stock is looking ok, the main body was rough cut and the sections screwes/glued together..... But unfortunately the wood i used must have gotten wet at some point and whilst i was away for a week it was in the house and dried out completely DOH! it split one of the outer sections right along the middle grrrrr i was not happy to say the least, so... now im going to try to find a piece of 2x2 or something similar and cut the main body from that and add things like the feeder cover to it should make life easier for me as i wont have to join/seal 3 seperate pieces and where things will be added they would be seperate on the real thing so gaps/lines wont matter too much. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

OK quick update on this..... i have recut the body and fitted the start of the electrics into it i am now working on getting the larger details....

LPIC6493.jpg

still have to add a metal band around the stock & lots of sanding/smothing to do but you can see where im at with it i hope. :)

Edited by gh05ty

Looks great. Is that a functional hinge on top?

If I could jump ahead, what is your plan for the end of the barrel? I have seen the standard plastic funnel and pvc...

Nicely done.

You are correct there is a hinge on top as i have put an on/off switch in the feeder and im using a magnet to hold the top down, not sure what im going to do with the muzzle yet but i will have to start thinking about that soon as im almost doe with the electrics :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: band is now fitted on the stock and has been painted, the blaster body is now in its primer stages and i think its starting to look ok...slow progress so far but it has cost very little (£2 so far with the parts left from my E11 build)

LPIC6528.jpg

LPIC6532.jpg

LPIC6533.jpg

heres a pic with the cocking lever attached:

LPIC6537.jpg

Edited by gh05ty

Im sure people would really appreciate that tango'd there seems to be a lack of plans around for this excellent blaster :duim:

Hey tango'd mate do you remember the E11 thread on the RPF i said i was gonna try to do this for £20 well its looking more like £10 at the most he he :P

Edited by gh05ty

[quote name='gh05ty

Hey tango'd mate do you remember the E11 thread on the RPF i said i was gonna try to do this for £20 well its looking more like £10 at the most he he :P

Sounds a bit pricey to me :lol:

Will try and dig the plans out and look into getting copies made ,sure they would be useful to anyone making one, sorry a bit late for you ghosty :(