need some thoughts...

Eric

ok so i havent trimmed my thigh pieces yet, i think i need to make them a lil tighter, they are a lil loose. though i was initially just lining it up to some lines you can partially see... bend lines and such, anyways thoughts would be great. im thinking an inch or so would be fine, but i'm welcoming all thoughts :P

Kr2UAe0.jpg

Looks like you have a finishing strip on the thigh (or maybe its a shadow), so if you're going ANH I would do a butt joint and don't overlap anything. ROTJ overlaps them. Test fit with them taped up, mark the areas with the pencil, and cut. You can add foam inside of the pieces also to help hold them in place. I took about an inch of the thighs and mine are still a bit too large. Measure twice and make sure they fit well before you make the final cuts. When you trim the pieces to your body type, it can make all the difference in appearance.

yeah thats bout how they are when taped and on me... just hard to get a decent pic that way. that's a shadow, i've not put strips on. i've been debaiting if i want to. i am going ANH, but its an AM suit and it has a good overlap in it and i was going to complete the build before concidering for sure if i want a strip even though the overlap is rotj. but the theigh doesnt look "too big"? that's mainly my worry

The strips are optional but add more to the finished look I think. Personal preference, really. The thigh will only look too big if it's not sized correctly to your thigh. Looks like a good size to me. :duim:

make sure the thigh fits you correctly. I find sometimes people leave too much "wiggle room" inside their thighs, and so their thighs look really big in comparison to the shins. Make sure it fits your leg, but try not to have it the area around your knee swing like a bell. The proportions looks good to me, but really it needs to fit your body so you need to decide.

I know it's an AM kit, but I still plan on butt joining mine rather than overlapping.

My suggestion is to glue the fronts and velcro the backs for the first troop or two. It's easy to make them too tight as well as too loose, and it's best to trim a little at a time until they are correct.

Don't worry if you think any pieces look too big or too small whilst they are not on your body. It's how they fit on you that counts. It's no good having a super nice looking thigh if you can't even get your leg it it :)

If the parts fit you now as they are, mark with a pencil and trim. I would strongly recommend going for the joining strips. It's the little things that make up a great looking armour. If the back has a joining strip moulded into it and you need to trim past that, then do it. It's all about getting the parts to fit right and I don't like to see excessive padding in armour just because the moulded joining strip makes the armour too big for the wearer.

Also, in your photo, you have a left thigh and a right shin shown.

thanks everyone. comically enough, the left shin accidentally made it to the top corner of the pic that you barely see... :P but the pic gets a decent point across that i was getting at. good catch man :)

after work I plan to size it a bit more. probably have a friend come over to help. i find that a third hand some times does a world of help. lol. all help is greatly apreciated :D

thanks everyone. comically enough, the left shin accidentally made it to the top corner of the pic that you barely see... :P but the pic gets a decent point across that i was getting at. good catch man :)

after work I plan to size it a bit more. probably have a friend come over to help. i find that a third hand some times does a world of help. lol. all help is greatly apreciated :D

Dude,

My AP Bible! :)

On 3/20/2010 at 10:58 PM, jawa001 said:

Dude,

My AP Bible! :)

-----

:shok: niiiiiice :icon_bow:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

mkay so i've found a good comfy fit for my thigh... though i'm thinking this suit wasnt built for such skrawny troopers. :P anyways, i'm a lil worried about making my cuts just yet. and excuse the fact i'm in my boxers... snow... wet pants, lounging while fiddling with my armor. lol. so .. yeah. :P if there's something wrong with it, please tell me and i'll remove the pic mellow.gif

1M2ishQ.jpg

g5E05Mi.jpg

RcWpZV8.jpg

SztCxuX.jpg

all thoughts/comments/critiques or w/e are welcomed :)

mkay so i've found a good comfy fit for my thigh... though i'm thinking this suit wasnt built for such skrawny troopers. :P anyways, i'm a lil worried about making my cuts just yet.

Looking good so far! You're likely right about the size of the AM kit, as like its predecessor (as well as RT-MOD) it's designed to fit a wide variety of body types. The good thing about that is that it gives you more freedom to trim/shim what you need so that the kit looks the best on you.

I understand being apprehensive about diving in. I remember feeling the same when I worked on my first suit (an FX). Take your time, breathe, and relax. ;) Trim in small increments and fit to make sure you're headed in the right direction. I'll second TM's advice: if you feel that you need to trim beyond the molded-in joints so that the thighs will fit better, go for it, butt the cut pieces together and apply a joint strip.

You're doing great, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. :)

You definately have the shin on the wrong leg Eric. Please put it on the other leg before you make an all too common mistake that can easily be avoided.

On your thighs, mark the overlap with a pencil and split the difference, marking a line half way from the end of the plastic to pencil mark. Once you have cut the plastic away on both halves, line the bottom edge up so they are perfect and cover the mis-match at the top (if there is any) with the joining strip.

On 3/21/2010 at 6:32 AM, troopermaster said:

You definately have the shin on the wrong leg Eric. Please put it on the other leg before you make an all too common mistake that can easily be avoided.

ok this is where my confusion comes from, the overlap faces inward right? so with that... instead of trying to explain it....

FQitdIo.jpg

thanks terry. no never saw it, but the overlap facing inward is something i knew... thats why i never gave it too much thought about the shins being backwards... gatta say, that's rather annoying there. i can get it to work, with or without a butt joint... but the bends in the abs with that overlap spot. i'd need to do a but joint to give as much slack as i could, wich alright... but then its still a tight fit with a detail or two still a little off. but doable. i'll probably start working on that tomorrow or monday. ok so shin guards aside... im still looking at peoples thoughts about how much im taking off on the back of the thigh... anyone have good visual aids for me? i cant find many good rear thigh pics. best angled pics i can find generally have a blaster holster blocking the view if their that close....

Edited by Eric

These are ANH photos / images borrowed from Stukatroopers site (for reference only) :)

Really, at the end of the day it:

- be inspired by the original images / movie

- but do what fits your body

Remember: these guys were IN A MOVIE. they did not troop events, care about comfort, etc.. they just need that "good take" on film, so you need to take that into consideration in terms of usability and a little comfort.

It's hard to tell without seeing stuff in person, but I would probably trim near the lines you indicated but leave another half inch on each side on the backs of the thighs, tape them up again and look at them again. If it looks good - then do the final cut. If not, well you gave yourself an extra half in on both sides for safety, so re-evaluate again, re-tape, stare at your butt in the mirror, etc. then do the final cut.

Trust me, you're going to run into this multiple times, you'll get used to it. I'm not sure if you have pr haven't already, but starting with biceps and forearms is easier than the legs.

2681243691_c4dda5bb43_o.jpg

4252051637_dc8d6984b4_b.jpg

i havent glued anything yet, but my biceps and forearms are done (trimming wise).

thanks for the pics. i know 100% screen accurate isn't always totally best, comfort value wise. and sure screen accurate would be cool, but not totally what i'm shooting for. but certain details are important. the main thing where my concerns originated from is that curve downward... i think i can get it from here. you guys have been loads of help. but by all means more input wouldn't be bad :P