I need help and mod ideas for my Armor ! *

Well i live in ohio and i got a set of rubies armor cheap. So I made some mods and what not, But its still not good enough for the 501st. So i was told too go here and get some help. I'll put some pics on here, and if you can tell me what I need too do. I know i need a new chest plate and abdominal/ COD peice. Im shooting for the ANH style of armor. Any tips anybody???

2sL48xM.jpgtCA8bFg.jpg1XDYewV.jpgfzkjmec.jpg

Hi Ben, well for starters you're going to need a completely new helmet. The Rubies helmet is not 501st approved. :smiley-sw013:

Ok what can you suggest. I'm thinking about buying an Fx set of armor and just using pieces i need. Is the fx helmet approved?

Hey Ben,

The Rubies armor was made more in the style of the ROTJ armor and if you are going to try and mod it, you are going to have a lot of work to do o get it to the ANH style. The Rubies armor has a trim around certain areas of it and to get it to look like ANH you will have to sand down the trim molding that the suit has, to get it like the ANH. This means you will have to paint the suit, get new hand plates, helmet, etc.

My suggestion is keep the suit or sell it and possibly (if your budget is tight) look into getting an ATA or maybe an AM kit. In the long run you are going to spend the same amount of money trying to mod the Rubies to get it up to snuff.

Here are some of the links to some people who have already modified the Rubies, so you can kind of see what you are going to have to go through:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=5642&st=20'> --------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 3/10/2010 at 3:47 AM, RogueTrooper said:

Hey Ben,

The Rubies armor was made more in the style of the ROTJ armor and if you are going to try and mod it, you are going to have a lot of work to do o get it to the ANH style. The Rubies armor has a trim around certain areas of it and to get it to look like ANH you will have to sand down the trim molding that the suit has, to get it like the ANH. This means you will have to paint the suit, get new hand plates, helmet, etc.

My suggestion is keep the suit or sell it and possibly (if your budget is tight) look into getting an ATA or maybe an AM kit. In the long run you are going to spend the same amount of money trying to mod the Rubies to get it up to snuff.

Here are some of the links to some people who have already modified the Rubies, so you can kind of see what you are going to have to go through:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=5642&st=20'> --------

Ok where can i get these sets and whats the difference between ata am or fx. Sorry im just new too this.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

To answer your question, the ATA armor is made of HIPS, also around here HIPS is commonly called styrene. It is a flexible plastic and when cast, tends to have sharp details. But, will need to be painted to have the proper finish of a TK.

The AM armor is made from ABS, which is a shiny plastic that has the color through and through. It is a harder material than the HIPS, but can tend to lose some of the details when casting. The AM armor is the next generation of FX. The details are sharper than it's predecessor FX.

Search through and find some of the builds under: AM/Tupperware and ATA, so you can see how they look.

Here are a couple of builds to get you started:

TKittell's AM/Tupperware build:

---------

Darktooper's ATA build:

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

AM is the new version of FX. ATA is another armor maker that is more screen-accurate. Both AM and FX armor is 501st acceptable, as is ATA. Search around on the forum, there are plenty of build threads with all types of armor for you to look at.

Edited by NoVATie

On 3/10/2010 at 4:22 AM, Bengine32 said:

So i found this auction on ebay ---------- Thinks its worth a crap.

It's recast TE2 armor. I've also heard it's not formed very well and is thin in many spots. I would go with ATA armor over this, its a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. You can contact ATA by PMing Terrell AKA Supertrooper on here.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

well after reading up alot, what ill probally do is sell off my rubies and get some fx armor. If anybody knows of anyone who is selling off a set or has a set pre trimmed please send me a link or email. I really appreciate the help.

Lots of good advice on here already and RougeTrooper posted the links I was going to post... so good job there man.

Basically your idea here — selling your Rubies and getting something different — is the thing I'd say to do.

To make the Rubies ANH would be next to impossible.

And the work you have to do on it to make it anything acceptable (replacing the helmet, etc., etc.) isn't worth the $$ you'd have to spend. Not when you can possibly recoup your cost on buying it from selling it and then spend a little more on accurate armor.

My other advice... stay away from "the 'Bay!"

And... don't get FX armor!

There's far too many good sets of armor out there now that are affordable!

Have a look at my armor 101 page to get a quick run down.

And then spend the next week on here (the FISD) reading and searching every thread of every forum to learn all you can!!!

There's a TON of info on here and most all of your questions have been answered other places.

I know you don't know that because you're new... but that's what the forums are here for... new guys. B)

Edited by No'l

The suit that you pulled up from Ebay is a recast of TE2, which is not condoned.

Makerofthings uses 0.060g ga./15mm HIPS, which is very thin and will not stand up to many troopings. Not to mention, the helmet you get from him, I have heard, has major cracks and problems. This means that you would have to do some serious work to it.

One of the other things that you need to look at, when trooping, is the thickness of the material. Most good suits of armor are made out of 0.080/2.0mm to 0.090/2.25mm material thickness. Any material thinner than the 0.080/2.0mm, will not stand a lot of trooping.

I Pm'd you with two good connections for armor. Terrell, Deckerd and all of the other armor makers here, have good reputations and take care of their customers.

Edited by RogueTrooper

You are correct Michael,Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene is a form of styrene, but is more commonly called ABS.

Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS):Has a more rubber content than Polystyrene,but ABS is still tough with rigidity.

And if you talk to plastic dealers, they call High-Impact Polystyrene (HIPS) Just styrene.

I am one of the guys that stuck with the rubies. I went for RotJ with it. I got a kick butt helmet from a seller on this forum. Iam definetly getting another set of armor and will just be getting a manequin for my Rubies armor. :) What I can tell you is that modding the rubies armor cost as much as buying a new set of good quality armor. For a first time armor modder starting with no tools, equipment or materials the $$$ really piles up fast.

I can also tell you that my decision to mod the rubies armor paved my way into this hobby. Ive been able to take a wealth of advice and tips from here in my battle to mod the rubies. And the skills and no-how Ive gotten from the work have given me alot of confidence for my future builds. B)

It's impossible to mod a Rubies to ANH. Or ESB.

If you are going to do anything with it, ROTJ is the way to go. The only "major" cost you'd have on a Rubies ROTJ build would be the helmet. Hopefully you'd be able to pick up something like an MRCE cheap and mod it a la ROTJ. You'd be lucky to find one for less than $100 delivered I'm guessing.

Still, after the helmet is taken care of, bringing a Rubies up to ROTJ standards isn't that expensive. Time consuming, for sure. Scary in some parts, absolutely. The button flip doesn't exactly take 5 minutes to do.

Short rundown after the helmet.

Webbing for belt, new buttons, white drop box straps, flip the buttons, get TK boots, get an ROTJ E-11. That's about it after the helmet is replaced.

Though, if you're dead-set on ANH, sell the Rubies and hit up TrooperMaster for some ANH goodness.

On 3/11/2010 at 2:43 AM, Bengine32 said:

So i found this guy who getting rid of this kind of armor and it will be in my price rang if i can sell my rubies armor. Think its good enough. ---------

That's AA/SDS armor. It isn't a question of "good enough" - it is. The problem is availability in the U.S. - it isn't. Long story short, LFL and SDS got in a big legal fight over who owns the rights to stormtroopers. Part of the settlement was that SDS was prohibited from selling to U.S. based customers.

On 3/11/2010 at 2:47 AM, Bengine32 said:

Another thing. could i post my rubies on here to get rid of it.?

Yes you could, provided you put it in the correct section (For Sale or Trade - Personal Items)

----------

However, pretty much everyone here knows Rubies is not the way to go and to get it up to our standards takes a tremendous amount of time/money/effort, so much so that you could order and assemble a much better kit for the same resources. Best bet for a Rubies sale is probably ebay.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 3/11/2010 at 2:43 AM, Bengine32 said:

So i found this guy who getting rid of this kind of armor and it will be in my price rang if i can sell my rubies armor. Think its good enough. -----------

Another thing. could i post my rubies on here to get rid of it.?

You really need to spend more time looking through the forums!!!! ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Ok the guy is gonna sell it too me cheap well not too cheap but ill off some stuff for it.

If you are talking abou the guy from SDS then you were not paying attention to what Brian said. Its not available to US customers due to lawsuits etc. I think you should really, really pump the brakes. You may be rushing into things and its usually not a good idea. First you need to sell your rubies on ebay if you dont want to do an ROTJ suit. Second you really need to spend A LOT of time reading the forums here and researching, most guys spend months on here before they even make a purchase. You need to educate yourself on armors, whats acceptable, the lawsuits that have gone on, everything. Also avoid ebay, seriously dont buy armor from there. Just take a breath and spend some time doing a little more research and you will be good to go. Also if you havent already, introduce yourself in the new memebers area, tell us about yourself and how you got into star wars :duim:

Edited by JD-89

If you are talking abou the guy from SDS then you were not paying attention to what Brian said. Its not available to US customers due to lawsuits etc. I think you should really, really pump the brakes. You may be rushing into things and its usually not a good idea. First you need to sell your rubies on ebay if you dont want to do an ROTJ suit. Second you really need to spend A LOT of time reading the forums here and researching, most guys spend months on here before they even make a purchase. You need to educate yourself on armors, whats acceptable, the lawsuits that have gone on, everything. Also avoid ebay, seriously dont buy armor from there. Just take a breath and spend some time doing a little more research and you will be good to go. Also if you havent already introduce yourself in the new memebers area, tell us about yourself and how you got into star wars :duim:

:duim::peace::salute:

YES :excl: