Decals: How do they did?

Since we have awesome pictures of original ROTJ helmets, we can clearly see that the decals are far to be smooth and seems to be made out of several layer.

For exemple:

decals.jpg

decals2.jpg

decals3.jpg

decals4.jpg

According to me, the design (colored layer) was added on a sheet of black vinyl. As you can see, the black outline isn't regular (random cutting by the ILM crew I guess).

The colored layer seems to be thick and textured (seems rough.)

It looks like a kind of paint or a transfer.

Any advices?

Not sure if you're asking for confirmation that they're decals? If so, I believe the original ROTJ helmets were decals

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/Original-RO...mor-helmets.htm

TK-4510 makes replacement decals that match the original screen look if you're looking to buy some

http://members.cox.net/appstronaut/ROTJ_helmet_decals.html

I bought decals from TK4510 but those aren't similar! I know that he made a great work on research, but according to me, they aren't accurate.

But I thank you for your advice!

I think they are grey humbrol silk screened onto black vinyl with an adhesive underneath

Thank you for your advice Joe.

I found the black vinyl paper. Now I have to find how applicate the paint with a correct making. Because on all ROTJ decals, this layer is similar (no gap, deformations, etc...)

dscn0306s.jpg

dscn0307j.jpg

Paul my esb/Jedi helmet was paper you are right, don't know about Jedi but it looks like vinyl. I will be commissioning mike to do ultra accurate decals for my upcoming helmet run. Should we try paper for ESB/background and vinyl for Jedi?

Paper for ESB style decals???

It's true that those seems to be less thick than ROTJ decals, but it's hard to believe :huh:

On many pictures, these decals looks to have been made exactly like the ROTJ decals but less thick!

But it's hard to know. Since I've never seen an extreme close up of one of these. And I can believe Joe who had these decals in hands.

When I saw the helmets at CC they looked like screen printed black over white vinyl. The tube stripes are white and blue. I think they would have been done at the same time. They also appear to be cut out by hand and not die cut. The only way to duplicate that would be to do it at home, low budget style. The screen is a low linescreen level as well, so you really see the cross patterns easily with the eye. My ROTJ decals are not as accurate as I had hoped. They are screen printed at a higher resolution. I think that the matte lamination killed the color as well. The printer will only credit me half the expenses on a reprint, so I opted to forget it for now. Next time no matte lamination. I also would have liked a better helmet to scale them on as I think Matt's helmet had been modified...In the mean time they still look great.

Hey Mike, all my respect for the work that you made (and still make).

I agree with you, decals were cut out by hand (the black liner isn't regular from an helmet to another).

I think that ILM used a different technique to make these decals than the one for your decals.

Check this link for a small part of the history of Matt's helmet http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=8957

Here's some from my ESB/Jedi helmet, these were papery to the touch, very poor quality. These are the same as the ESB helmets. More proof that they were made at the time of ESB and not Jedi as per TM's theory.

sidesticker.jpg

grillesticker.jpg

04060027.jpg

A friend of mine has scans of these but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Joe

Here's some from my ESB/Jedi helmet, these were papery to the touch, very poor quality. These are the same as the ESB helmets. More proof that they were made at the time of ESB and not Jedi as per TM's theory.

sidesticker.jpg

grillesticker.jpg

04060027.jpg

A friend of mine has scans of these but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Joe

Thanks for these pictures Joe. If only you would be able to get these scans, that would be awesome B)

Were these decals well fixed on the helmet?

I bought a vynil paper on ebay! It looks like paper but it's adhesive. I guess it would be nice in order to make ESB style decals.

What was the real color? Grey or blue???

Thanks guys, as Mike has said before it is a touch bluer than the grey humbrol. Mike has the exact details from when he did the match at the recent con. They were re-attached during the restoration so I am not sure how they were attached, there was glue all over the helmet though!

Joe

• 2 months later...

These look similar to how my decals are on my RoTJ helmet. For my decals TE cut the black areas out of the decals and then put the decals over black vinyl. This gives the decals a slight 3-D effect.