PTT

Helmet-mounted?

No.. thinking of running it inside of an arm and strapping it to my hand. I can make one with a momentary on switch from Radio Shack, but it won't be pretty. I would rather have a store bought type. The problem is finding one that only runs the mic because most have a speaker built in for a two way set up.

check out my thread on throat mics...

---------

I found that I like and dislike the PPT cable. Its hard to fit inside the glove which I prefer cause it hides it. Its a bit of a pain running the cable down the arm INSIDE the underarmor shirt. I also found that it can be inconvenient to have to push the button to talk. Sometimes I find I have my blaster in the wrong hand so my fingers are not free to push it, etc. I recently bought a ROMFX amp and so I have not been using my throat mike.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I do...

I have an older Trik Toys unit with 3 switches. One PTT, one blaster fire and one option switch. Dont think he makes them any more. I have an inner glove that I crudely sewed in the buttons.

----------

I also run a Vortex in my Vader and that is PTT.

I run the wire down the sleeve into the glove. I use banker finger tips to hold the button in place. It adds complexity to suit up, but it works well.

Edited by gmrhodes13

You could use ------------

I´ve got one of the TrooperCom systems made by a guy in the UKG a couple of years back, that lets you use a single mic to operate both a voice amplifier/changer (in my case, a ROM/FX) and a walkie-talkie. When activated, it reroutes the audio from the ROM/FX to the walkie-talkie. It has a reed switch mounted on the end of a long wire, connected to the TrooperCom circuit board. I stuck the circuit board in my helmet, and installed the reed switch under my right ear cap, stretching the wire through the gap between the faceplate and the back & cap, covered by the stalk.

I then bought a small rare earth magnet with a hole in the middle, which I sewed on to the middle finger of a thin cotton glove I wear inside my rubber chemical ones (to take care of the sweaty palms problem!). All I have to do to activate the switch, is to bring my middle finger, with the magnet, up to my ear cap, where the reed switch is hidden. Works like a charm!

Before anyone asks, sadly, the TrooperCom, or similar systems, aren´t being offered by anyone at the time. Not that I know of, anyway.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 years later...

I am in the process of setting up my wireless AKER/ICOMM system and I have question about these PPT switches--how exactly are you running the wire down your arm from the unit? Under your bodysuit or over?

If under the body suit, how are you running the wire from the unit? Do you have to go from the unit up to and inside the collar area, and then down your arm? Or do you go from the unit down to and up under the waist (if two piece bodysuit) and then down your arm? It almost seems like you need to punch a hole in either the underarm or chest area of the bodysuit to run the wire from the unit and down your arm. But I imagine putting a hole in the bodysuit could cause rips.

Or are you just running it over your body suit (but under the arm armor)? If done this way, don't you have an open wire exposed where the chest meets the arm? And also at the elbow area between the bicep and forearm pieces?