A little more work on my ATA suit

Well finally had a decent day to start primering some of the parts and took the time this morning to finish putting my helmet together. I still haven't gotten the shins done or all the strips added down the arms and legs, but those will get done over the next two weeks I hope.

I have to say the helmet has come together better than I thought it was going to a few days ago!

dcusLmB.jpg

OlXVZQK.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I'm using a Krylon white primer. It was about 65 -68 degrees when I started painting and I was having a little problem with the paint building up on the front of the nozzle and when I shook the can it was ending up on my finger, so by the time I stopped, my finger was glued to the can lol. Overall I think it is working out ok, I just need some wet sanding and then the gloss coat. I'm using Rustolium High Performance Gloss White.

Thanks Gos! It could be better ( I trimmed too much from the ears before I had the helmet assembled). Now for some wet sanding and a warm enough day to gloss it!

The ears look fine, if your worried about the bottem part sticking out just do what I did and glue it down clamp it and let it dry for 2 days for a good hold.

Or use some white caulk. How come I didn't think of that....doh! Heh

The ears look fine, if your worried about the bottem part sticking out just do what I did and glue it down clamp it and let it dry for 2 days for a good hold.

Or use some white caulk. How come I didn't think of that....doh! Heh

No the bottom of the ears look ok, need a little bit of sanding there, I just hate the gaps on the side.

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I used some caulk on the ears to close up the gaps. I'll post a new pic once it dries enough to sand. I may have to do a bead over what is there now. I got a little too antsy trying to clean up the caulk that was outside the ears and left a kinda rough edge. But easy enough to fix up before I gloss it.

so far so good id say

only thing, and this is coming from someone who hasnt made one yet, i thought that there was only sposed to be eight holes on mouth vent. am i wrong or am i thinking of a diff style helm?

For stunt: Eight cut teeth (4 / side) on frown

For hero: Six cut teeth (3 / side) on frown

I'm doing an ANH Stunt

Kind said:
so far so good id say

only thing, and this is coming from someone who hasnt made one yet, i thought that there was only sposed to be eight holes on mouth vent. am i wrong or am i thinking of a diff style helm?

Im pretty sure there are three different teeth variants for stunt helmets: 3, 4 and 5 cut outs. That can be seen at this pic of the originals from starwarshelmets.com:

=========

I think the 4 teeth are the most common version.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

i stand corected, there are deff 5 in some of those. and what an awsome pic btw

All of them went to 5 in ESB. The "standard" for ANH though is 4.

And I'm not sure if you see 5 cut out anywhere in the movie... just cause they were in the pile doesn't mean they were used ya know.

Of course I could be wrong. B)

Really? Where did you hear that?

Look at the guy in the middle. 3 teeth.

-------

Im pretty sure there are 5 teeth versions also. Sounds to me like a lot of work for nothing filling the 5 teeth after they were done and helmets painted.

Cheers

Edited by gmrhodes13

NAZGÛL said:
Really? Where did you hear that?

Wow... I THOUGHT on here somewhere... and I thought just like yesterday I read / learned it... but now I can't find the thread. In fact, all the ESB threads I was looking at recently have posts from YOU in them. *twilight zone music* :huh:

Anyway, it seems I was way off... at least based on the ESB standards. 4 teeth each side.

So what was I thinking?

Any ideas? :blink:

Edited by gmrhodes13

NAZGÛL said:
Yeah, starwarshelmets have so much info and pics, like this 3 teeth stunt, who looks a little weird to my eye.

--------

These are my favourite stunt helmets with three teeth :)

Edited by gmrhodes13

Well I'd planned on getting home about an hour and a half before I actually did, so all I could get done today was glossing the helmet and the endcaps for my thermal detonator. I think bugs hate me or simply cannot resist bright white :( I have a couple that will need to be sanded out and some spiders decided to send little webbing around... So I'll have to figure out what to do about those fixes. I filled in the ears with plumber's putty and got them looking much better. Hey I think it looks good for my first time building!

Edited by gmrhodes13